Victoria Stilwell's "It's the Dog or Me" UK TV Ser

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Duke of Earl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Victoria Stilwell's "It's the Dog or Me" UK TV Ser

Post by Duke of Earl »

Did anyone see the first show in this dog-training series on Channel 4 in the UK last Wednesday? The presenter/trainer Victoria Stilwell was wonderful, steaming straight into a two-troublesome-dogs household and immediately restoring order (uncannily). But I couldn't help wondering how the babetastic Victoria Stilwell would manage if she had to tackle a seriously non-cooperative chow in the show, what with most chows not always liking to be told what to do (and frequently treating strangers like thin air).

Has anyone here ever had to resort to calling in a heavy-artillery dog trainer to grapple with their chow - and if so, did they make any difference at all?
Maxwell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maxwell »

sounds like the "Dos Whisper" he is the US. w/ Ceser Milan. i watch to get tips on my chow but i have never seen him with a chow and wonder what he thought of them. i think if he can handle pits and rotts he would do wonders with a chow. i've never had to all a trainer in to handle Max. at one point i wanted to but once he got older and i spent more time with him he was better. all in all i think it was more me than him.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

"Heavy artillery" training will only get you bitten by your chow. You cannot 'break' a chow; they are not like rottweilers or GSD's. They do not follow blindly. Chows need to be shown respect; in return they give respect. Chows also need to be reassured of their role in the pack. A chow who is not convinced of your leadership skills will take you out. They were bred to think therefore they do not respond to blind aggression on the handler's part.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Maxwell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maxwell »

Aman to that. Max tried to run me when i was pregnant and i really couldn't do much with. but since i had my baby hes is SO much better behaved.
Duke of Earl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Duke of Earl »

By 'heavy-artillery' I didn't mean brutal, I just meant no-nonsense and straight-to-the-point-with-no-mucking-around. Stilwell (much in demand in the US) is a dog behaviouralist who most definately doesn't go for the heavy-handed approach; she knows how doggie minds work and tackles the problems from that direction.

But I still reckon a chow chow would probably ignore her.

See: http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/enter ... r_dog.html
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Chows are not dogs - they are more than dogs. They do not respond to any of the same techniques that other breeds do. A chow needs to believe that you are their leader. They were bred to guard royalty. Not only are they regal, but they expect their owner/handler to behave that way as well. They need socialization and understanding. Most dog trainers do not understand this, and so, will not work with chows or their owners.
Last edited by Rogansmommy on Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

No Duke, we live in Crewe and we did not see the programme.
However, I must agree with you - I am sure that my Milly and Mabel would take no notice! :)
They can ignore us, for crying out loud, and they love us and they know we love them.
I would love to see my girls on one of those programme's! :lol:
Do you remember Barbara Woodhouse and her "Walkies!!" or are you too young!! :) :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Duke of Earl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Duke of Earl »

Oh, I remember Barbara Woodhouse alright....I still shudder at the thought of all those hard-jerks-on-leads (enough to rip a dog's head off, as I recall)...and I'm afraid that sort of plummy accent always gets my hackles up (surely folks who talk like that must be totally insensitive or they'd realise just how much their voices rub other folks up the wrong way).

Give me Victoria Stilwell any day.

(But I s'pose if she tackled a chow and failed miserably to get results, it wouldn't make the TV show.)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Totally agree!1

I would love to see Barbara Woodhouse and Milly and Mabel. They would just sit and look at her with that "OH! What the .... are you going on about!" look on their beautiful chow faces!! :lol: Then, if she pulled on them they would just jerk her - they are very strong!
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)