Jumping up

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Jumping up

Post by Samorrathis »

My chowling is almost 6 months of age. Everytime I greet him he loves to jump up even if i get down to his level, even if I make no big deal when i do see him. He just gets so darn excited when he see's me. He also does it with the other family members just not as often. "No" has no impact on him in this particular situtation..........any idea's? Would like to break this habit before he gets to old.

Post by Guest »

My Mr. Nahkohe jumps on me - not on others. I thought about trying to train him not to ...but since he only does it to me, I let it go. He is always wiggly, happy to see me when I first get home and he jumps and gives me kisses on my face, arms, etc. Otherwise he doesn't jump.

Michael suggested the clicker training when I, too, inquired about help a few months ago. Lou also had a good suggestion about standing tall with your arms crossed and telling him no, plus a treat when he obeys.

Yes, you are smart to train now. I'm too soft with my Chows - they are not trained...they're free spirits - (in other words - spoiled rotten)!

Karen
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Anonymous wrote: Lou also had a good suggestion about standing tall with your arms crossed and telling him no, plus a treat when he obeys.

I would love to take credit for that but I think that was Judy's suggestion. Then again, I don't remember so we'll just share! Something else to try is a spray bottle with water. Once you notice him about to jump up, squirt him quickly with a mist from the spray bottle (on his face) and immediately say no, give him a command to sit, stand tall with your arms crossed, count to say five. And if he gets through all that, lots of praise and animated love gestures and a treat. If you don't have your spray bottle handy, try the pushing away with your arms, a firm no!, then clap loudly or snap your fingers sharply to startle him, another firm no!, give him a command to sit, stand tall with your arms crossed, count to say five. And if he gets through all that, lots of praise and animated love gestures and a treat, if available.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Standing firm and saying no is a good way, but I would suggest that as your chowling matures, it will get better.
Milly and Mabel used to jump up but now they do not jump up so much - but when they are pleased to see us they do tend to lunge at us.
They don't lunge at strangers though or visitors, except for our daughter Carolyn. Milly just absolutely adores her! She just loves her and jumps up and kisses her. Mabel loves our granddaughter Jessica in the same way.
I think that getting physical from a Chow Chow is a bonus! So don't be too cross! Just enjoy it - .................... :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

Some great idea's! I wouldn't mind the jumping up so much if it wasn't trashing my nice work clothes :shock: when I come home to spend lunch with Nanuk. I will see if any of them work and let you know how it goes.