Milly Ching and the Hedgehog!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Milly Ching and the Hedgehog!

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly Ching is a very, very happy chow girl this evening. :D

I have mentioned before about her hunting the hedgehog in our garden and barking at him/her!

Well, we have always said that if the little creature would just unwind and not curl up into a ball and just look out and talk to her, she would be happy.

Well, this evening it happened - it really happened. :)

Fred went out to see where she was and tip-toed back to me with his finger on his mouth and beckoned me to follow him. There was Milly and the hedgehog walking along slowly, the hedgehog snuffling out slugs etc. and Milly walking very slowly alongside grunting away - his/her little face was out - not curled up and Milly is very, very happy. :)

It was a perfect Kodak moment but we did not have a camera handy and in anycase, it might or indeed probably would have spoilt the moment! :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Well, today, Fred made a Hedgehog House! :)

We bought a book in a Charity Shop a little while ago called The Wildlife Garden Month-by-Month and it goes through the months with suggestions about what to plant and projects to attract wildlife into the garden.

Milly and Mabel have had several meetings with the hedgehog so Fred decided to follow the instructions in the book and make a safe and warm place for the hedgehog to hibernate for the winter.

Milly and Mabel were very interested in the activities.

The burning question now is 'Will the Hedgehog use the House?!!'

We won't know - it is now hidden beautifully under an excellent wood pile with a little tunnel to get in and a little bundle of dry straw and dry leaves inside for bedding! :)

So, unless we can hear little snores coming from inside, we won't know! :? Perhaps Milly and Mabel will hear and tell us. :) :)
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

What's an Hedgehog? :oops:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

A hedgehog Taz, is a little mammal who is covered in prickly spines. It comes out, mainly in the evening and at night and hunts round the gardens etc. looking for slugs and snails to eat. :)

If disturbed, it will roll up tight into a ball and so that it cannot be hurt because of its prickly spines. :wink:

They hibernate over the winter and come out in the spring, to have their babies and carry on hunting for the slugs and snails.

They can become quite tame in the garden and will eat tinned dog food to supplement their diet.

Milly is very interested in the hedgehog in our garden. :D
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Pinnsvin in Norwegian.. :D
English words aren't always that easy to understand.
And especially words that aern't often used.
But now I understand.. They are cute.. :)