Treats

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Treats

Post by Jeff&Peks »

My Daughter got a magazine in the mail today called Kids and Pets It comes from Albertsons, anyway it says under pets, No more then 10% of your Dogs or cats caloric intake should come from treats. The biggest pet-nutrition problem today is not from what you feed but from over feeding.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
TXSusiQ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TXSusiQ »

Cabo gets a a couple of treats a day.

He gets something when I leave in the morning and then something at snack time after supper. Usually a nutro bone but occasionally a FrostyPaw. Heck I can't go anywhere near the freezer anymore without getting knocked over.
Mommy to Cabo
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

One tenth of a dog's diet does seem excessive. Consider it in real terms. If your Chow ate 3 cups of food everyday, 10% would equal a 5 ounce bag of treats! mine get no where near that amount, except on very rare occassions. And I mean VERY rare. So, it sounds correct to me.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Willow gets a snack a couple of times a day sometimes more on the weekend or a holiday.

A treat she really likes is when I freeze french vanilla yogurt. I freeze it in ice cube trays and then give her one or two cubes at a time.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

A treat she really likes is when I freeze french vanilla yogurt. I freeze it in ice cube trays and then give her one or two cubes at a time.

I think your basically making Frosty Paws, that's a good idea though I give Pekoe yogurt but haven't thought about freezing it. she loves yogurt so freezing it she should really love that.

Anyone know if those other flavors of yogurt are safe, like berry, strawberry or any of the other 100 flavors of yogurt, I've just been sticking with the plain or vanilla. Plain is getting really hard to find unless you buy a big tub of it.

When you buy those little containers of yogurt how much of that do you give at one time, I don't think I give Pekoe enough, 2 spoon fulls.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

i give a couple or 4 table spoons of yougert [sp] , plain and or cottage cheese , on the nutro[ dental and what ever ] with half a can of mighty dog , 2-3 buscits , dental , meaty bone afterwards , chow will not eat with out an appitizer , just will not , i use a little beef /lamb or pork lung, dehydrated , beefs cheapest ,

i can put down the most succulent chunk of roast beef and he will lean and sniff it ,, sigh real big , and maybe walk away .. i am tired of it no more begging chow to eat , let the imperious thing starve , last night he did not get fed until midnight , he woke me up barking at the hoot owls out side ..

stewart county where every mans a bubba
and chow too..
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Last night when I was grooming Lily, I had the lid off the BaaBaa Bites, and Pip meandered up and helped herself to a mouthful! She has no shame when it comes to treats! I used to think Lily liked popcorn. Turns out, only Orville Redenbacher pour on cheese popcorn...must be because they both hail from Valparaiso, IN. (Probably just the cheese, actually)
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Leela doesn't get a lot of treats, but when she knows one is coming ....

KATIE BAR THE DOOR.....if she could turn inside out she would!!
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Jeff&Peks wrote:A treat she really likes is when I freeze french vanilla yogurt. I freeze it in ice cube trays and then give her one or two cubes at a time.

I think your basically making Frosty Paws, that's a good idea though I give Pekoe yogurt but haven't thought about freezing it. she loves yogurt so freezing it she should really love that.

Anyone know if those other flavors of yogurt are safe, like berry, strawberry or any of the other 100 flavors of yogurt, I've just been sticking with the plain or vanilla. Plain is getting really hard to find unless you buy a big tub of it.

When you buy those little containers of yogurt how much of that do you give at one time, I don't think I give Pekoe enough, 2 spoon fulls.
1/2 to 1 cup of plain yogurt is okay for them, same with cottage cheese. The flavored yogurts are unsafe, (loaded with sugar). I get the big tubs of plain, I give them the plain, and make my own flavored yogurt out of some of it for me. To do it, you can add 1tsp vanilla, 1tsp sugar or honey and fruit of choice.

Of course if you don't like yogurt, it does last for a while, and you can freeze it.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Also, I learned that you don't want to use the fat free or low fat kinds that have artificial sweeteners, those can be toxic. :shock: