Recipes

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Recipes

Post by dchernandez »

So I've read in some postings that some of prepare your chows some of their meals. Any good recipes? I feel kind of bad giving him only dog food. Maybe a home cooked meal would be good from time to time. Thanks :lol:
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Ideally, everyone would prepare home made meals for their dogs, but for some people time does not permit them to prepare individual meals for their dogs, however you can do wonders if you do this simple thing:

To their daily ration of dog food...
add one egg (organic, no hormones)
and
one teaspoon of safflower oil that is cold-pressed and vitaman E added.

Those two things will help out a lot!
marla tierney
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by marla tierney »

go to spoiled-mutts.com they have recipes for dog food
marla tierney
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by marla tierney »

go to spoiled-mutts.com they have recipes for dog food
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

I'd just roast a chicken, make some brown rice and we'd both eat. Just go easy on the salt or omit it when you do. Add a side of peas and carrots and you both are eating a fine meal!

When the meat was carved off, I'd pick the remaining meat off the carcass and toss in some warm rice, and serve up a nice chicken hash. After filling up his tank he'd go outside and stand watch all night till bedtime.

We ate and shared so many meals together that I still can't bring myself to cook anymore. Since these 3 I have now will eat any dog food I put down I dont want to get them used to people food.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Here's my recipe for home cooked dog food:

6lbs ground beef or ground turkey or mix it.

3cups finely chopped veggies, (use a blender for this)
[veggies to use, peas, carrots, celery, squash, yams, blue berries, green beans, dandelion greens, brocolli, spinach, don't let the carrots exceed more than a third of the veggies, less if you're using yellow squash and/or yams as well)

2-3 teaspoons garlic powder or 4 gloves garlic (you can omit this or decrease it if you're worried about animeia)

brown the meat throughly, add enough water to just cover it, add the garlic. Then simmer until the meat is throughly cooked, add the veggies and simmer another 5 minutes; you want the veggies cooked but not over cooked.
serve this mixed with well cooked rice, white or brown. If your dog is very energetic use brown rice. (the rice needs to have the husk on it broken; because dogs don't chew their food and if it's not it will run through them. so cook very well. Instead of the 2cups water to 1cup raw rice formula cook it 2.5 cups of water to 1 cup raw rice)

The ratio is 2/3 rice to 1/3 meat mixture to start with, more meat mixture if the dog is high energy. For instance Darkwind got 2 to 2 1/2 cups of cooked rice with about 1 3/4 of hamburger stew mixed in. And Firesong gets 1 3/4 to 2 cups rice with 1 3/4 cup hamburger stew mixed in. She has much higher energy and therfore caloric requirements.

Additions and supplements:
If you are using very lean ground beef or turkey or lean chicken; you'll need to add some essential oils to the diet, omega 3's in particular, you can buy omega 3 supplements at health stores. Also there are vitamin and mineral supplements you can add too. Solid Gold makes one that is made up of these ingredients:

Dried Seaweed Meal | Flaxseed Meal | Dehydrated Lemon Powder | Carotene | Chlorophyll | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Dried Asparagus Oryzae Fermentation Product | Dried Asperigillus Niger Fermentation Product | Pineapple | Lactose

You can add eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese and cheese to their diets too.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!