Smokehouse Chicken Breast Tenders

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Smokehouse Chicken Breast Tenders

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Has anyone had any experience with these? I saw them at Petsmart last week, I've never seen them before. I get my chicken breast tenders from Trader Joe's but these look equally good. It says it's 100% white meat, low fat, high protein and it doesn't list any preservatives. I'm not sure if it's because they're roasted or not, but they're softer than the Trader Joe chicken tenders.

Kiwani, do these sounds healthy?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

About eight months ago when I got a little more free with the treats I bought Pekoe her first bag of chicken strips, Smokehouse chicken strips from Petsmart, She loved them the only problem was when I went to get her another bag they were all sold out so then I found a big bag of Wagon train chicken jerky tenders at Costco she loves those also, the bag says 100% pure chicken, 97% fat free, no preservatives, great for your pet but the thing I don't like about them is that I just noticed a few days ago they are made in China, who knows what they really are, no telling what Pekoe is really eating I hope Pekoe hasn't developed a taste for dog. If I can find the Smokehouse brand I will get those instead. I think you might be better off staying with the Trader Joes brand I would tend to believe them more on what's in the bag then Petsmart or Costco not that their is anything wrong with those two stores but I doubt they check the ingredients before they sell something. I think Trader Joes is more into more natural healthy foods, at least that what's I've heard. I know Trader Joe's Cashews are good.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Kiwani, do these sounds healthy?"

They don't sound healthful to me, for a variety of reasons, one of them being the *long* smoke-roasting process. Several weeks ago, there was a thread in the general forum discussing 'chicken and duck tenders' brands imported from China. I'm not sure if this product you're asking about is also imported, but facts I brought up then included import restrictions of human-grade poultry because of the Asian bird flu problem, and the fact of wide spread use of arsenic in China, as a natural preservative. Arsenic is used in poultry feed too.

Arsenic is not allowed in organic chicken, and I always prefer feeding organic, human-grade quality, and fresh-cooked meats; not overly processed proteins.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

King Koda adores dehydrated chicken treats.... aside from deer jerky, they are his absolute favorite treat. But I also found that chicken tends to irritate whatever allergy it is that makes his eyes tear and him to scratch and shed. I really seem to have an allergy prone chow in Kodie, where Princess Molly on the other hand doesn't seem to be affected by much. So I guess I am not going to be much help with the chicken issue since I avoid buying it because of Koda. But I posted this to point out I think I remember Kiwani or someone stating that chicken tends to cause allergy problems, which again turned out to be true in Koda's case. I do remember the thread where it was stated that poultry products coming from China were not safe because of the bird flu epidemic.
Nancy and Tai

Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Why not just get a dehydrator and make them yourself?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The dehydrator is a good idea, never thought of that, does anyone make Chicken strips that way?
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

If there are any concerns to what type of meat, i.e. chicken, you can make your own jerky via any ground meat such as lamb(extra lean), just form it into strips on wax paper then move them to the tray and plug it in.

If you had access to a slicer, I'd probably get turkey breast and have it sliced thin, maybe the deli guy would if you asked. I dont know if turkey is good for dogs though, but as poultry goes it would be the easiest to handle due to its size. Plus with Thanksgiving right around the corner you could get a good price on it now.

Of course if you took the same meat, baste it with soy, teriyaki, or dales.. you'd make yourself some fine jerky. :D
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Mine love venison jerky, but since we get it made ourselves, we don't have a ready supply, and it is fairly expensive to have made. Generally, my husband only gets a few pounds of it. Because of this, we don't give it to the girls when he is around.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I've only had venison once in my life when i was a kid, as I recall venison with salt, thats some good tasting stuff..
I also recall as a kid and will never forget the taste but i had pigs feet, now thats some nasty tasting stuff no matter how much salt you use.

ImageImage
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

Hey Jeff:
I know you are going to think I'm crazy, but I too came across the Waggin' Train brand Jerky Tenders. My 3 LUV them. When I open the bag it smeels so good... so I had to taste one. The tasted pretty good & like chicken too... but then again doesn't everything ;) I haven't started wagging my tail yet so thats a good sign.

Also, my husband pointed out to me the "vendor item1124154 made in China"... maybe the bag is made in China. The parent company is an American based company out of Rancho, CA who dbi - does business in China.
Momma Chow Celeste to Gorman, Onyx & Irish
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

"I too came across the Waggin' Train brand Jerky Tenders. My 3 LUV them. When I open the bag it smeels so good... so I had to taste one. The tasted pretty good & like chicken too..."

Great, now we have Celeste Treat Review, Let us know when you get around to the Frosty Paws.

Your Husband may be right, I looked at the bag again, I think it is the bag only thats made in China, Thats good news becouse Pekoe also really likes those, She's eating one right now as I type. Did you find them at Costco, Thats the only store I have seen them.

ImageImage
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

We have already put 2 deer in the freezer this year, and it isn't even rifle season yet. My husband shocked me when he gave LILY about 6 inches of the venison jerky just yesterday. Pip too, but seeing Brian give some to Lily and Lily taking it was a surprise. Come to find out, Lily has been taking treats from Brian for a while now, and he only gave the jerky because he had left it out a day!