Chow adoption

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Looking4chows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow adoption

Post by Looking4chows »

Hello!

My wife and I are in the market for our first puppy, and are set on the chow chow breed. We both had family dogs growing up, but this will be our first pet together and experience with the breed.

I was wondering if any of you would offer advice on how/where to adopt pure-bred chow chows and how to best approach the process? I am located in Texas but willing to travel to meet breeders.

I started my search at local chow rescue groups/shelters, but unfortunately all of the dogs listed were either too old for our needs or not chows. Other than that, I have contacted a few private sellers but I am worried about getting scammed…I would love any insights this community might have to offer, can’t wait to start my journey with these beautiful dogs!
StillSalty
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chow adoption

Post by StillSalty »

Hello... I don't know of any reputable breeder other than a lady in Ocala, Florida. I can't recall her name however, but it should be easy to locate. She was an elderly lady in early 2000s... We purchased a dog from her but he was killed by someone who came in the yard. Since a chow seldom barks we had no idea anyone was on the property. I found him floating in the pool. We called the Animal Police and the assured us that he did not drown, but rather was murdered and then thrown into the pool. So yeah. The next chow we purchased from Forestway Chows in Michigan. She was great, always spoke about money problems though. She shipped our Elijah to us, which was great. I then sent her $900 as a deposit on a cream colored female. A year later and no puppy still by the way.. i called and requested my deposit back. No go! She told me that i only had 3 weeks to request it back. However, i did not change my mind SHE did not deliver! So, speak with a breeder at length, their agenda will come to light. And if you can go visit, by all means do that. That way you know who you are dealing with. That way you don't give away money to a greedy person. Shameful, when people use these poor animals to feed their greed....