Will my sweet chow turn aggressive?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Laylabelle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Will my sweet chow turn aggressive?

Post by Laylabelle »

Hello everyone. I have a 14 month old spayed female mostly chow mix. She is my first Chow, though I have lots of experience with other breeds. Once we found out she was a chow mix( the rescue said lab/husky mix, and only found out she was a chow mix 2 months later via DNA testing) we took her to a dog trainer to ensure we were on the correct path with her. The trainer seemed to have a bias against chows ( she said to us "oh, you're brave...I have only worked with 3 chow in my career and all 3 were monsters), but she kept emphasizing that once Layla turns 18 months, she is going to become a dog and people aggressive monster. Right now, she is super friendly towards both people and other dogs, as we have done our best to socialize her as much as possible. I know this trainer probably has a huge bias against the breed, but, I can't get the thought out of my head that a switch will flip in May and my sweet, albeit stubborn pup will become unmanageable. Any insight on this, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated.
Annetti
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Will my sweet chow turn aggressive?

Post by Annetti »

It's essential to consider individual temperament over breed stereotypes. Continue socializing and reinforcing positive behavior. Every dog is unique; the trainer's bias may not apply to your pup. Monitor behavior, address issues promptly, and consult with a professional for personalized guidance
Laylabelle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Will my sweet chow turn aggressive?

Post by Laylabelle »

Thank you so much for your response. So far, she does not seem to have any of these issues, but, as she is my first Chow, I was afraid she would change once she matured. I will definitely follow your advice and continue to socialize and correct issues as they occur.