Will my sweet chow turn aggressive?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Laylabelle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Will my sweet chow turn aggressive?

Post by Laylabelle »

Hello everyone. I have a 14 month old spayed female mostly chow mix. She is my first Chow, though I have lots of experience with other breeds. Once we found out she was a chow mix( the rescue said lab/husky mix, and only found out she was a chow mix 2 months later via DNA testing) we took her to a dog trainer to ensure we were on the correct path with her. The trainer seemed to have a bias against chows ( she said to us "oh, you're brave...I have only worked with 3 chow in my career and all 3 were monsters), but she kept emphasizing that once Layla turns 18 months, she is going to become a dog and people aggressive monster. Right now, she is super friendly towards both people and other dogs, as we have done our best to socialize her as much as possible. I know this trainer probably has a huge bias against the breed, but, I can't get the thought out of my head that a switch will flip in May and my sweet, albeit stubborn pup will become unmanageable. Any insight on this, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated.
Annetti
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Will my sweet chow turn aggressive?

Post by Annetti »

It's essential to consider individual temperament over breed stereotypes. Continue socializing and reinforcing positive behavior. Every dog is unique; the trainer's bias may not apply to your pup. Monitor behavior, address issues promptly, and consult with a professional for personalized guidance
Laylabelle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Laylabelle »

Thank you so much for your response. So far, she does not seem to have any of these issues, but, as she is my first Chow, I was afraid she would change once she matured. I will definitely follow your advice and continue to socialize and correct issues as they occur.
Laylabelle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Laylabelle »

For anyone interested, 18 months has come and gone, and Layla is still a very sweet, well socialized Chow (mix) to the point that even our vet called her the happiest Chow she has ever met. So, thank you for the advice/putting my mind at ease and Phoey on that biased trainer. 🙂
Kristentc77
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kristentc77 »

People say this all the time and the breed gets blamed. They should not if raised right. We had chows since the 90's and the only time they turned out aggressive was when they were in pain or from a BYB. Just keep up the good work and continue to socialize as much as possible!