Question about food for Kiwani

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Question about food for Kiwani

Post by ngraham »

A friend of mine who was using Nutro switched her dogs over to this and likes it alot better. I just wondered what Kiwani and some of the others thought:
Here is the link:
http://www.naturallifepetproducts.com/p ... c=lamaderm
Nancy and Tai

WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

Looks like a good food, but I must say that I am not a fan of "beet pulp" or "Ground Grain Sorghum".
Cheap fillers and you have no idea what type of grain this "Ground Sorghum" is made from. Could be the corn and wheat that most of us are trying to avoid.

My Chow Chows have done the best on Solid Gold, Hundenflocken. http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products ... 1&code=100

We've had urine PH problems on other products and Hundenflocken is the only one I know of that is formulated for a 6.5 urine PH.
After having emergency surgery to remove bladder stones way back when I fed Eukanuba, :oops: I checked Maji's urine twice a week, religiously, on the SGH and it was always right there at a healthy 6.5.
Good Coats, no hotspots, no red on the black coats, firm stool, and they enjoy it.

I am HORRIBLY picky about what I feed and I feel I can confidently recommend Solid Gold.
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

My problem with changing food isn't the nutritional value or what it has in it, its the company, to many companies have put out a bad batch of food that have seriously harmed or killed dogs. Pekoe has been eating Nutro for ten years and if all her blood work comes back that she has the health of a 3 year old that's good enough for me plus I haven't yet to hear of a dog getting sick or dieing from it.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

That's so true Jeff. The kids are doing fine on Nutro... I just wondered how this would go over nutritionally wise.
Nancy and Tai

threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Jeff,
What kind of Nutro? I think there are about three different ones. Also, do they have a high grain content???
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Nutro Natural Choice, Lamb and Rice (Green Bag) But about 6 months ago I switched to Nutro Ultra Senior. Before the switch for about a yr I've been going between Nutro Lamb and rice and Nutro Senior. She seems to like everything from Nutro so switching between products hasn't caused any problems. But again like treats thats all she's ever known except when i first adopted her and feed her Iams but that fastly changed.

You think it means anything when spell check always wants to change Nutro to Nitro.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Jeff&Peks wrote:My problem with changing food isn't the nutritional value or what it has in it, its the company, to many companies have put out a bad batch of food that have seriously harmed or killed dogs. Pekoe has been eating Nutro for ten years and if all her blood work comes back that she has the health of a 3 year old that's good enough for me plus I haven't yet to hear of a dog getting sick or dieing from it.
I think you may find that any company who uses corn as an ingredient has the potenial to process a, "bad" lot of food.
Why? Because, corn contains mycotoxins. Mycotoxins produce Aflatoxins...it is the aflatoxins that poison dogs.
The higher the aflatoxin count, the greater the risk for quick death. Diamond brand dog food, for instance was one of the brands who recalled packages of dry dog food last year ('05), due to the death of numerous dogs. What happened was...'05 was a very rainy-wet year here in the U.S., tons of corn remained warm and damp in silos for an extended period, providing a haven for the growth of the bacteria aflatoxin. ANY AND ALL dog food manufacturers who purchased this U.S. corn passed along the high levels of aflatoxin into the dog food.
The problem is NOT a particular manufacturer, the problem lies with feeding your dog corn, which contains mycotoxins.
So, you may say, well I have always fed my dog food containing corn. Low levels of mycotoxin/aflatoxin are fed everyday to animals...it's merely a slower posioning, that is all. Never feed your dog, cat, or horse animal grade corn.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I didn't know all that but I've always said no corn or wheat and Diamond has always been the company I use when I say be careful with food. the only thing I knew about corn was Pekoe's vet said corn turns to sugar in a dogs body that's why they advertise makes your dog act younger that's becouse its on a sugar high, so get her off the Iams and that a dog eating a cup of it was like us eating 3 Hershey bars.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "A friend of mine who was using Nutro switched her dogs over to this and likes it alot better."

I wouldn't consider it much of a step-up from the Nutro you're using, just more of a step-sideways to a similar grade product. Both brands use by-product fat, a lot of grain, genetically modified beet-pulp filler, lower quality vitamins, etc. The grain sorghum isn't as digestible; the ground flax/linseed meal is something that is best kept refrigerated; and the site makes some misleading statements, one of them about lamb.
If inflammation is still a problem for Koda, move away from grain-based, by-product fat, formulas.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I agree with staying away from wheat, corn, by-products, all grain or animal "meal" and sorghum.
To add to that...
There is a difference between animal grade ingredients and human grade. I would use only human grade ingredients.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

kiwani wrote:Re: "A friend of mine who was using Nutro switched her dogs over to this and likes it alot better."

If inflammation is still a problem for Koda, move away from grain-based, by-product fat, formulas.
Thanks for replying everyone. Kiwani... Koda's eye inflammation is still a problem occassionally. I saw what a difference Nutro made over the Purina One... but I am thinking like you, that I still need to find him something thay would help with this inflammation thing. Again, Kodie's eyes don't tear all of the time, but obviously something irritates them from time to time. What would be the best choice?
Nancy and Tai

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Nancy, I'm not sure if this helps but Special is eating Solid Gold Wolf King, Kiwani suggested it to us and it's soooooooo great. Special's coat has improved and his reddish stains from under his eyes and all over his mouth area are gone.
Hugs to King Koda and Miss Molly!
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

chowfrnd88 wrote:Nancy, I'm not sure if this helps but Special is eating Solid Gold Wolf King, Kiwani suggested it to us and it's soooooooo great. Special's coat has improved and his reddish stains from under his eyes and all over his mouth area are gone.
Hugs to King Koda and Miss Molly!
Yup... I remember that now. Old age creeping up on me I guess. :) Now I am doing a web search to see if I can find it around here.. :)
Nancy and Tai