going crazy after bowel movements

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

farmallbell
Rank 0
Rank 0

going crazy after bowel movements

Post by farmallbell »

This is my first time using a forum. I have a black chow that just turned one on Oct 12. He is a stubborn dog but very lovable. I am having one problem with him and am not sure what to do. My husband and I work construction and when we are on the road we live in a travel trailer. He has basically lived in one since we had him. Where we are now does not allow dog pens as he was used to one. My husband had put a doggie door in a trailer and built a ramp so he could go into the pen by himself. Now within the last two or three weeks, when I take him for a walk on a leash and he has his bowel movements, he basically goes berserk for about 2 minutes. He will run so hard that he yanks himself off the ground and then he will turn around and run and nip at me. Today he bit me on the leg and grabbed my coat sleeve. He seems to calm down after a few minutes and is ready to go back in. I know this sounds weird but I dont know what to do and just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Willow is 5 and she does that sometimes. He's just got the zoomies! Stop him from biting and nipping at you though. . .he shouldn't be doing that.
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Welcome!

Tess does that. Our yard is fenced, so we typically let the dogs outside by themselves and watch them through the window. You can tell if Tess has done #2 because she comes out from behind the garage at about 900 miles an hour. :D

It sounds like he is used to being outside more than he is now? Is there an area where you can walk him more or maybe even let him off the leash? I love Judy Fox's idea of using lunge lines (for horses) as extra long leashes- gives them some freedom without you giving up your control. My two would be stir crazy if they lived in a trailer and had lost their little bit of outdoor freedom (the pen). I have to agree with Willow's mom, too. Don't let him bite/nip at you. Tess wants to do that, too, just playing, but after he pinches the back of your knee in those teeth, it'll be anything but "play" to you! That hurts!

Good luck with him and hopefully you'll move to a place where he can have some freedom and outdoor time soon.
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Awh, Farmallbell your chow is doing the "Zoomies", also referred to as the chow run. Not weird at all. It's best to not get in the path while they zoom. It's also something that feels unique to us chow parents. So don't worry he is fine. If you don't have any means to allow her to run free safely after her bm's then the pony lunges might serve better. I was able to see them in person and the length and open space ratio appears to be a safe way to allow him freedom, while you still have control of that space. So it's worth investing. Leo's mum experienced the same behavior as your chow. They have a similiar predicament and I believe has lengthened their lead as well. You might want to PM her and swap info.

My PB only zooms after a bm (bowel movement). I have trained her how to stop/pause so she can settle down. I worry about all the movement, since prior to a bm, she has finished one of her meals and she is running on a full belly. I make her settle down so she doesn't develop Bloat.

With my old fellow, Zhuyo, when he use to zoom, I would join in on his zoom path and play a game of "race you up the stairs" with him. Because I cheat, I always won and would make a big deal (physically) about winning, which made him stop his zoom episode for that moment.

Our chows zoomies are such a nice visual of the ecstasy in freedom!
Last edited by Zhuyos mom on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Ah, Lou, Tess has plenty of room to run. She has a fenced backyard and free run of it, much of the day (Dad's retired and Mom works part-time). And she loves to zoom.

I was offering 'room to run" suggestions for Farmallbell. She's the one with the no room to zoom problems.

I appreciate the advice, but it wasn't for me! :D
~Renae
<br>

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Special will try to zoomie once in a while after a bm and because we usually ahve him on the short leash (he only tries to zoomie on the short leash, not the 26 fot lead...go figure), I tell him no zoomie outside and he somehow holds it in until we get back inside. I worry about him getting tangled and hurting himself on the short leash. Like the others have said, the nipping, etc should be nipped in the bud, leep us posted. Since Special's never done that during zoomies I'm sorry I'm no help myself.
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

"No room to zoom" :D I love it!

I used to have that problem with Cookie. She loved to zoom.

Farmallbell, nothing is wierd about your problem, except that he can't bite at you. He's meaning to play, but it's not playing when teeth are involved.

I really think you'll be fine once you can get to a place where you can have a pen again. Until then, maybe walk him more, or jog with him a little bit?

Brandon has an outdoor pen so he can have time to complete his business in the morning while I'm getting ready for work. I never leave my chows unattended outside, though. They are only in the pen when I'm home. To get more exercise for him, I jog with him, at his pace. He loves it!

But he's nine and your young chowboy will have more youthful energy.

Best of luck. Welcome to the Board. Congratulations on being an example of how a chow can adapt to almost any environment. Let us know what happens and please continue to join us even after this problem resolves itself.

Yvonne and Brandon

P.S. What's your boy's name? I didn't see it mentioned in your post, maybe I missed it.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

enchantedonyx wrote:Ah, Lou, Tess has plenty of room to run....
sorry. It was a typo. I've fixed it. Just really tired. :oops:
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Lou wrote:
enchantedonyx wrote:Ah, Lou, Tess has plenty of room to run....
sorry. It was a typo. I've fixed it. Just really tired. :oops:
No problem!
~Renae
<br>

WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

Ah, yes...the KILLER ZOOOMIES! LOL :D

If you know that your boy is going to get them, be prepared with something else to offer him instead of your tender body parts.
Try taking his favorite toy in your pocket. Fill that mouth with something appropriate...
I think that would be a great occasion for a game of tug. I like the tyg toys made of braided furry material.
If you can't find one to buy, you can make your own with scraps of plush material cut in strips, braided, and knotted at each end.

I think it could turn out to be a fun game for both of you! :)
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Leela loves to zoom in the house!
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

It looks like this right?? Yup, zoomies, nothing to worry about. But, stop that nipping during it because Willow did go thru a period of play aggression that hurt!!!

LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Tell the dog to sit & stay, wait till its calms down.....
Also, tire the dog out so it doesn't need to zoomie when on leash. We use the tennis court(fenced area) & a empty pet bottle(make sure to take off cap) and kick it around to entice her to zoomie. PET bottles work better than tennis ball for LEO.

Farmallbell, I think you are asking "How do I stop my chow from attacking me?".

Our chow Leonora who just turned one on the 18th has the same problem. After her bm, see wants to zoom and after running up & down w/ me on the other end of the leash, would bite the leash or jump on me.... :shock: Sometimes she just snaps out of it, sometimes she is insistent. What I do, is to tell her to sit which she eventually does, even w/ leash in her mouth. I tell her to stay and after she'd calmed down make her watch me for a while and then praise & treat her.
NEVER get physical or try to wrestle w/ it, i.e. hold the dog by its cheeks trying to avoid the bite, it just agitates the dog more. At one stage, I had terribly bruised arms, like a battered wife w/ defence wounds. I did NILF method, only feeding her kibble per kibble for commands met.
In the end, I called in a trainer. I used to use sensation/gentle leader type front hook harness. Now use a nylon slip collar on her & will tug sideways if she starts acting up. I have more control when she jumps on me. Did the trainer help? Well, after spending $500 on 5 training sessions of 45min. ea., I am now wise to the fact that LEO can walk pretty if w/ the trainer, would come when she is called by the trainer.... I just have to work to earn her respect more...... And we are left w/ this nylon slip collar and I have bit of a better control over her for her tantrums. It is very much work in progress, but I'm hoping in the right direction....

My old thread on LEO's tantrums is in General Discussions. If the link works it's this. chowchow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1639&highlight=tantrum
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Who doesn't get the happy-feet zoomies after a good BM? :)
Seriously, I would take him to potty on a leash, even in an enclosed area. Your dog just gets excited, no big deal.
However, if you have him on leash during the BM, keeping his excitement under contol on leash is easier than off.
Wait until he has done his BM and calmed down before letting him off leash. Are you using a high decibal happy voice after he goes BM? If so, this may excite him even more. Keep your voice calm and your touch should remain calm.
If he tries to nip you, on-leash, you have an opportunity to correct him. By correction, I mean saying a stern, "no".
Good Luck
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

Hi Farmall bell & welcome.
I have 3 chowlings (see below) & our back yard is fenced & is approx 1/3 of an acre or more & after EVERY bm they get the zoomies. They run all over the yard & get very playfull, then it's up the deck stairs & down the deck stairs. My 2 chowlings prior to these 3 did it as well.
I think it may be a relief (no pun indtended) for them & also a way to express how happy they are. I'm not sure where in the U.S.A. you are however when the tempuratures start to cool down, my 3 have the zoomies the entire time they are outside.
Momma Chow Celeste to Gorman, Onyx & Irish
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Hmmm,

I've seen the reference to "no teeth at all" and I gotta tell ya that during many a happy and playful time did Marshall put his teeth on me and I liked it.

If he was real happy about say going for a ride, he'd open his mouth really wide and try to grab my arm but it was so gentle, like he was so happy he wanted to eat me up, but in a totally happy and kind way, again it was very gentle. And only for a second or two then he'd go back to running around and such.

Other times he'd give me nibblin's....like he was chewing at a flea or something but on my skin, tickled like crazy and often I'd scream out laughing cuz it tickled so much. This is just a gentle, front teeth only nibbling at my skin.

If it ever got too much I'd just saw OW!(but in playful voice) and he'd let go with no problem.

Solo doesnt do this yet, but I'll let him if he does.
farmallbell
Rank 0
Rank 0

guess it isnt a strange as I thought.

Post by farmallbell »

Thank you all for your responses. I work night shift so I am just now getting around to seeing them all. I guess the problem isnt as strange as it seems to be. The one problem I have is that in this town that we are in there is basically no place to let him run. A lot of open spaces but none fenced in. I am just about ready to take him down to the baseball fields and let him run. They are fenced in and I really would for him to be able to run. By the way, his name is Pugsley, Puggy for short. (Would love to post a picture but he will not let me take his picture. Even tried with my cell but he will turn his head everytime.) At our place in NC we are on a 10 acre farm but no fence yet, so he is on a 60 ft. leash. He has access to shade and seems to be smart enough not to wrap around the trees. He was there for about a month and half before we came to VA. Like I said we travel a lot. I really do like the chows. We will probably be here for another month or so and then go home. I will keep everyone posted on the antics of Puggy.

Tammy