Mass in spleen??

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Post Reply
rufuschowder
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:54 am

Mass in spleen??

Post by rufuschowder » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:22 pm

We adopted a male chow chow three years ago. He is believed to be around 10 or 11 now. We went to the vet today and Xrays found a tumor in his spleen. We were told we should go to surgery tomorrow to remove his spleen. We were also told if they found more tumors they would put him to sleep. However, he is acting normal. No change in diet, activity level, movement, or mentally. We were there to run labs so they could clean his teeth.

I understand the severity of this and want to act swiftly, but my biggest concerns are 1. our regular vet is out until mid May, maybe until the shelter in place is over, and 2. since we are still sheltering, we cannot go into the office with him to make him feel safe.

Does anyone have experience with this? Has anyone decided to not get the surgery? Has anyone waited to get the surgery?

Honestly, we will not let him be put to sleep at this time. He has too much left in him, and would probably move forward with chemo if anyone has experience in that, please let me know.

Thank you. We are broken

Post Reply