At the risk of destroying my reputation .. *LOL*

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

At the risk of destroying my reputation .. *LOL*

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Okay, this is going to completely mess up the vision that some of you may have of me being a militaristic, stern dog owner (such a wrong view of me! *LOL*).

I absolutely adore being silly with my dogs, Khana especially (since she's the youngest and plays into it the best). She jumped up on the bed this morning and I started rubbing her back (our morning ritual) and then I got to tickling her feet. She would jerk one away and give me this "hey, quit!" look .. *L* ..

Then I scratched her back, right above the base of her tail. This is what I call the "licky spot" - any time I scratch there, she starts air licking. It's like an involuntary reaction, but I find it so darn cute! I was leaning over her, scratching, and when I'd stop she'd whip her head around and give me a quick bump/lick on the chin and I'd start scratching again. She knows how to get what she wants!

And then I wrapped my arms around her and rolled onto my back with her on my stomach, and she tilted her head up to kiss my chin while I rubbed her belly. And I talk to her when we're doing this .. silly things like "how's my baby dog this morning?".. (keep in mind she's nearly two years old) ... "is my baby girl sleepy still?" .. (if I'm feeling really silly, I say "sweepy" instead of "sleepy") .. "I love you, little Pookily-Bookily" .. (anyone watch the Simpsons? You're recognize the influence of Ned Flanders! *L*).

I'm sure I'm not the only silly one on this list .. *grin* .. so what kind of silly things do you do/say with your chows?

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
.. everything's okily-dokily here! *LOL*
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Bear has the same exact "licky spot"! :p
“No one appreciates the special genius of your conversation like a dog does”...Christopher Morley
Caesar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Caesar »

Caesar also has the same "Licky Spot". It's so cute I can't help myself sometimes, but to scratch there.
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

Ceasar,

I can tell you've fallen completely in love with that little chowboy of yours.

You've become one of us.....a hopeless, forver chownut, or chowhead, or whatever they call us! Once you fall in love with the breed, no other dog will do.

Congratulations!
Caesar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Caesar »

I really have and I am so thankful everyday that this little guy has come into my life. My husband has even said that we need to get another, for him. He too has fallen in love with him.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

That's soooo cute Melanie!!

Specila has that same spot, but he likes to be scartched there while he's standing and then his left leg goes thumping while his tush eases down to the ground and his nose is in the air! But he doesn't lick the air, taht must be sooooo cute!!

I clal Special my baby too. When I get home from work, I say "how was your day Baby Dark?" I call him Baby Special all the time and my best friend calls him SDCB (Special Dark Chow Baby), so I guess he'll be a baby forever. :lol: I also call him Fuzzy Bear (like Fozzie Bear from the Muppets) and when I was little, we used to say a nursery rhyme..."fuzzy wuzzy was a bear..." (that's all I remember of it!), but I say to Special "fuzzy wuzzy was a chow chow...yes, he was" all the while petting him. :oops: :lol:

He comes on the bed to cuddle at night rather than in the morning and when we're cuddling him he leans into hugs and turns his little self so that we know exactly where he needs to be scratched. Then like any self-respecting spoiled pup, he jumps off the bed when he's done! :lol:
mrtdwt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mrtdwt »

Boy,

I can sure tell from these posts how "vicious" our chow chows are. What would we do without these little beasties in our lives??? They keep our hearts young and full of love.

Michelle
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Our "baby" Chows have turned us all into babbling idiots!!

I talk to my "babies" in a special language only they understand completely. You should see how they listen and know what each word is. :roll:
Lou coined a perfect phrase in her post last week about talking to Milly and Mabel....she called it "Chowenese"...I think that we should vote to put that word permanently into our vocabulary of Chowlings, Chowlets, Chowdren etc.

These "babies" are gorgeous, fluffy walking, talking Teddy Bears that we all love...Oh they are all sooooooooooooooooooo precious.

Sharon
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Whew, I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who acts completely silly about my dogs!

You know, it's funny but I do tend to talk to the chows differently than the shepherds. I "silly talk" to Trick, too, but it's not so cutesy as it is just silly. I'll say things like "hey, trick-a-poo, what're you doin' silly girl?" while slapping her sides (which she loves). Then she'll run and get a toy and toss it to me, and we'll play with the toy for a bit. It's fun but it's not "wovey-dovey" .. *L*

But the chows get snuggled and hugged and I rub my face in the fur and call them cutesy pet names like "aDORAble doggy" and "pookums" and "sweet pea". Khana is the only one that I have that will really cuddle with me, though. At night, I have an antibiotic to take (this is long term, been on AB's for over a year and a half now) and I can't lay down for at least half an hour after I take it. But I remember to take it at bed time .. *L* .. so then I sit on the bed, one leg outstretched and the other dangling over the side, and Khana jumps up and flops down against me in the area between my outstretched legs. She will often roll over onto her back and look at me over her shoulder with that "pet me!" look that works so well on me.

And people think I train HER .. *LOL*

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

hi all -

Haven't been around for a while but I'm trying to get back into the swing of things...

First: here's special's new song...(the extended version)

Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear, fuzzy wuzzy had no hair, fuzzy wuzzy wasn't very fuzzy was he...was a bear, fuzzy wuzzy had....

And I am a chow baby lover too. Cayenne is my "baby girl" and any time she wants scratchies on her neck (her fav spot) she comes over and gives me a little whine. I sit on the floor and scratch her neck and she "purrs" or grumbles away. Then I do the silly part. I LOVE it when she paws at me for more so I will purposely stop, then she sticks out her left paw and I say "does my baby girl want more scrubbies?" and she paws again and the cycle goes on and on until she is done.

Chewie and I have a different ritual. We've been doing this since he was a puppy. Either me or drew sit on the ground or lay down and call "chew chew! Come give us some love!" and he will prance over and come to our side and knock us over rolling on top of us. Then we lay down and give him lots of cuddles and kisses.

I know... super cheeseball.

And if I say "who's the sweetest boy?" he will give me a lick on the nose.

I love our sweet babies.
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne