Older Chow Licking Front Legs Alot???

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jimbo42
Rank 0
Rank 0

Older Chow Licking Front Legs Alot???

Post by jimbo42 »

My big red male older chow who weighs between 45 and 55 pounds recently lays around alot to keep cool but when he lays around he licks his front legs alot. Could it be that they hurt and he may have arthritis?

I checked both his front legs he hasnt been bit by anything so thats why I think it might be arthritis.What can be done to take the pain away from chows who suffer from Arthritis? Thanks in advance

Post by Guest »

my chow does this as well, sometimes to the point that she causes sores on her legs. I think it is heat related, perhaps summer time allergies caused from? small flea bites, pollen in the grass, fertilizer, sweat or just the heat?
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Rogan licks his front legs all the time. He's always done it... for no reason that I can see. :roll:
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Nick Bellenbaum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nick Bellenbaum »

Baxter will lick his front legs, but he also uses them to clean his face. The Chow's version of a damp washcloth?
Nick, Amy & Baxter
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Nick,
What a considerate Chow your boy is! :)
Milly and Mabel wash their faces with our face cloths and they wipe them with our towels and they also use the tea towels in the kitchen! :D
When we visit my mother, the first thing they do, especially Mabel, is to go into her bathroom to see if they can get her towels! :)
My mother has been there first though and hung them up high over the shower cubicle! :lol:

Regarding licking front legs, M & M do sometimes, for apparently, no reason. Mabel always washes her front legs when she is being groomed - pershaps she is helping us tidy her up.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
becca
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by becca »

My german shepherd does this all the time, she has made the hair come off her legs,and even had big bare spots on her from it, the vet said it was probably from allergies ...he gave me some spray to spray on her legs, its like a antiseptic and helps keep her from licking so much, and it seems to work great for her!