Is my Chow Chow purebred? This is my first chow chow. :)

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

KDBG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is my Chow Chow purebred? This is my first chow chow. :)

Postby KDBG » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:35 pm

29747108_10157820525478868_1589919989_o.jpg
29747108_10157820525478868_1589919989_o.jpg (127 KiB) Viewed 144 times

29748394_10157820525493868_1354903727_o.jpg
29748394_10157820525493868_1354903727_o.jpg (152.06 KiB) Viewed 144 times

I got this little bear cub a week ago today. He is 9 weeks old. His tongue is all bluish-black, his tail curls to his back, wide muzzle, big bear paws, etc. But he does have drop down ears, and I do understand that they can take awhile to get theirs standing up, and he seems like he's more sociable than normal and has a little more energy than I expected (which our obviously good things).

It doesn't matter to me if he has a little bit something else in him. I don't plan to breed puppies or anything. As long as he's mostly chow chow, I can deal with that. I just hope he gets dat lion mane tho, lol. I'm pretty sure he will, definitely looks like he will have a rough coat.

The breeder was pretty upfront and honest with me. She said that they were only selling him and his siblings for $600 because they weren't papered. But assured me multiple times that he was indeed in fact a purebred chow chow. I take pride in being able to read people, and she seemed genuinely honest. So all you chow experts let me know what you think.

I was thinking that a solid bluish-black tongue would be proof of a pure bread, but can mixed chows have solid bluish-black tongues? Btw, his name is Chakrii. It's pronounced JAK-gree. The name means "king" in Thai. I've nicknamed him "young king. Someone told me I was making him cocky like his dad, lol.

KDBG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Is my Chow Chow purebred? This is my first chow chow. :)

Postby KDBG » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:08 am

I don't know why the words posted on the picture, but here is what I wrote:

I got this little bear cub a week ago today. He is 9 weeks old. His tongue is all bluish-black, his tail curls to his back, wide muzzle, big bear paws, etc. But he does have drop down ears, and I do understand that they can take awhile to get theirs standing up, and he seems like he's more sociable than normal and has a little more energy than I expected (which our obviously good things).

It doesn't matter to me if he has a little bit something else in him. I don't plan to breed puppies or anything. As long as he's mostly chow chow, I can deal with that. I just hope he gets dat lion mane tho, lol. I'm pretty sure he will, definitely looks like he will have a rough coat.

The breeder was pretty upfront and honest with me. She said that they were only selling him and his siblings for $600 because they weren't papered. But assured me multiple times that he was indeed in fact a purebred chow chow. I take pride in being able to read people, and she seemed genuinely honest. So all you chow experts let me know what you think.

I was thinking that a solid bluish-black tongue would be proof of a pure bread, but can mixed chows have solid bluish-black tongues? Btw, his name is Chakrii. It's pronounced JAK-gree. The name means "king" in Thai. I've nicknamed him "young king. Someone told me I was making him cocky like his dad, lol.

furball
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Is my Chow Chow purebred? This is my first chow chow. :)

Postby furball » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:53 pm

I am no expert but we just visited a registered breeder the other day and saw a bunch of puppies (we are looking for a puppy). Not sure if it's just the angle, he looks a bit different to the ones I saw, his head is not as round and his nose seems a little longer? But we have had other dogs before, it is pretty hard to tell....
I'm no expert, please expect me to say something stupid

Return to “General Discussions”