Long Time No See

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Susan H.

Long Time No See

Post by Susan H. »

Hi, everyone

It's been a long time since I checked in and I've spent some time reading the posts. It's great to see that a lot of my friends are still active at this site. I have been very busy at work and on a new volunteer project to see about getting spay/neuter legislation and anti-chaining/penning ordinances passed in our area.

The pit bull ban in Denver has been heavy on my mind. I understand, though, that a legal challege to breed bans is being mounted as a 14th Amendment issue ("equal protection under the law"). This whole thing has turned my thinking on its ear, as I have always been in favor of gun control. Now I am having trouble drawing a distinction between the gun issue and breed banning.

One thing that concerns me is that 2nd Amendment arguments about breed banning rest on the assumption that animals are property. I'm afraid that if we who are against breed banning prevail with this argument, other animal protection/rights initiatives will be set back. Much of the problem with enforcing humane laws now is that animals are considered property under the law and people are legally supported in doing what they want to with them, including abusing and neglecting them. It's a problem!

Well, anyway: the Heard Herd is doing pretty well, but our number dimished by one this month when our dear yellow tiger, Lucky, died of the same tick-borne parasite that killed Spike a year ago. Needless to say, our remaining cats are strictly inside cats now.

After trying sypplements and chiropractic, I allowed Lucy to go on Rimadyl about 3 months ago for her arthritis and severe hip dysplasia. She is doing so much better - very little stiffness, and she runs freely and seemingly without paid, just like in the "old days." She will be 7 next month and perhaps the Rimadyl is shortening her life but the quality seems very good. She got a short haircut in May and is growing it out - my opportunity to get her grooming back in shape. She is also taking medication for slight incontinence which was causing urine scalding and also for a thyroid deficiency.

The others are fine and yesterday a friend brought her Pit Bull over to play and all went well. It is very hot and all 5 dogs were glad to sit in the shade with us and eat ice cubes.

I hope you and yours are all well. We will celebrate our country's freedom tomorrow but it will be with mixed feelings. It does seem that everywhere you turn, there is some effort to curtail the basic freedoms we take for granted. Canada and Australia are on our minds many days!

God bless you all!

Susan
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Susan, lovely to hear from you and glad Lucy is doing ok - hope the boys are well. :) :)

M & M are well throwing the girly tantrums - but they wouldn't be Chows if they didn't, would they?

You sound hot over there - I heard from Bubba the other day and he said he and Gwrol and the sheltie cross were hot - we have had some hot weather over here on The Island but not as hot as you.

I keep meaning to get Milly and Mabel a children's paddling pool to see if they would like it but I forget!! :roll:
Anyway, take care.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Susan,
So good to hear from you again! I think you have made the decision I would have for Lucy. Not the same thing - but for one of my cats, I opted for treatments that the vet said would be more of an issue than the problem itself. We had an extra year or so with my most favorite cat...but when the time came...well, it was difficult but we felt that the previous year was not so painful.
I hope you and all of the herd is doing well!
Karen
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Hello Susan!

Nice to hear from the head of the Heard Herd again! We've missed you.

Just wondering about Lucy's Rymadil dose... how often do you give it to her? I put Zhuyo on it early April. But I only asked for 10 pills and used it for 5 days (1/2 tablet am & pm). Doctor okay'd it to use as needed after the 5 days if I saw improvement with Glucosamine/Chondrotin supplement. Which I did, very significant even... on the Sea Jerky supplement that was recommended on the old site (from Roxana, I think). It's amazing stuff. Smells horid. But PB & Zhu love it. Plus Zhu's coat never looked better. Perhaps you can try it. You can order it from the internet. A small pet store at a neighboring town special orders it for me. Perhaps you can find a small pet store to special order one for you and see if it can help Lucy.

The regular G/C supplement tablets didn't work well on Zhu. Set him back ten-fold. Had him limping and gimping around so fast.

Again, nice to hear from you!

Have a safe 4th,
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Hi Susan,
Nice to see you back. Its a good thing i don't know how to go about starting all these animal rights issues, they would never hear the end of me.

What's this? a person from Tennessee (home of Davy Crocket) thinking about moving to Canada, last time I checked there was a 2 year waiting list to get into Canada.
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Hi Susan, so nice to hear from you again, I got a letter from Cheryl and she and Tico are well, so sorry to hear about you dog, but I know that tick bite fever is terrible I lost my sezer at christmas with it and was heart broken, no other chow can replace him even though I love them all, he was just so special, Anyway welcome home If I might call this site,
Love Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441