Frosty Paws treats....

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeri
Rank 0
Rank 0

Frosty Paws treats....

Post by Jeri »

Well, I finally found the Frosty Paws treats near my area so I bought a couple of boxes... I just got done giving Saydee and Kaspur one each... They seemed to really enjoy them... The only problem I had was Saydee was pushing her bowl under the bottom of the cabinet... So when I went to help her get it out from under there, she let me know in no uncertain terms that she did NOT want my help.... I knew she had food "aggression" since Kaspur came, but I never seen her act this way... She growls and curled her lips at me and then barked in a different tone... So needless to say, I left her to figure it out herself... She got it out and finished off her bowl and then went and took what was left of Kaspurs...
Jeri, Saydee & Kaspur
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Never mess with the Frosty Paws, that's serious business. Pekoe has never done that to me but the reason is I've never been brave enough to go near her when a Frosty Paw is involved. Pekoe has the same problem she pushes the cup under something but she always manages to get it out. I think its funny when she picks up the cup and trots around the house to find a place to be alone with her Frosty Paw.

Anyone ever look to see whats in those thngs, I've never taken the time to read the box.
chris

Post by chris »

is the ice cream in a cup? I picuture it being like a blues Clues paw on a stick... :lol:
Jeri
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jeri »

Yes Chris, it comes in a little cup just like the dixie cups that humans eats... I know now that next time I will NOT try and touch her bowl...
Jeri, Saydee & Kaspur
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Luckily the only aggression I get is when I'm too slow opening them...Bear lets me know it. I really wish FP would make that little tab a bit bigger so it's easier to grab.

Both Bear and Ping pick them up and take them somewhere else to enjoy. I find the cups under the couch, end table, at the front door, and even out in the back yard. It's actually nice enough to enjoy the backyard tonight...79 degrees. I can't wait til I can start complaining that it's too cold!
“No one appreciates the special genius of your conversation like a dog does”...Christopher Morley
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Chris is to young to know what Dixie cups are, she's still learning about Blues Clues on a stick.
Fidel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fidel »

What are Frosty Paws??? And where do you get them?
chris

Post by chris »

ice cream for dogs, in the ice cream section at the grocerie store among the Human ice cream. (so thats what they say here on this site, Im going to look this weekend.. LOL)

:roll: @ Jeff..

I know what dixie cups are.. I love them. :-) What about Fun Dip... ??? anyone have that? I love that too.. I used to love going to the BAR (lol, thats where our village hall was.. hahaha.. don't ask. small village) and buy PENNY CANDY... yep... I bought Penny candy...
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Fidel, Try Ralphs, they are in the Ice Cream Section at the end, they are in a Blue and pink box with a white cartoon dog on the cover. Look carefully they are easy to miss.
chris

Post by chris »

a cartoon dog eh...? LMAO.. I wonder if anyone has ever mistaken them for Human ice cream and brought them home for the kids. :shock: :lol:
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Maybe thats why they are so hard to find and the store seels out as soon as they are stocked
Jeri
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jeri »

I found my Frosty Paws at the local Super Walmart... I thought they were a little expensive ($3.60 for 4 cups) but then I thought what the heck, my babies are worth every penny...
Jeri, Saydee & Kaspur
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Our local store only carries the "originaL' flavor and my two don't care for it...I hear there are other flavors?
As for the trying to help with the bowl...I know the Frosty Paws are a favorite but the growling & curled lips sounds like Saydee really likes them!
We haven't had a problem with touching their bowls or taking stuff out of their mouth but it's best if you can get to that point in case they get a hold of anything bad for them.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

I agree with Karen. It's nice that Saydee likes her Frosty Paws... but you do need to be able to get food out of their mouths in case of an emergency. As easy going as I am with Koda and Molly, food aggression when it is my hand that is being aggressed upon, is something I will not tolerate, and believe me, my 2 know better than to ever do anything like that to me. Koda is usually pretty good about "drop it" or "give it to me". Molly, on the other hand, runs like hell. Kind of like... if you can catch me, you can have it. Grrrrr furkids.
Nancy and Tai

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe growls when she has certain things in her mouth when I try to get them, Toilet paper being one of the worst but I can still stick my hand down her mouth, Frosty paws and toilet paper you just don't mess with. Frosty Paws I let her get away with it but getting the toilet paper out of mouth I win that fight.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Frosty Paws are the bestest ever! :wink: We used to put Special's in a bowl for him and we'd find the bowl in his bed and certainly pushed under the counter, in the bathroom, etc! But lately he just grabs the glob of ice cream up and take sit to the carpet.

Like Nancy said working on "leave it" and "drop it" will help with the aggression. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this or not, but when we saw the behaviorist about Special's "treat aggression," she said that when Special has a treat that he really, really loves we should go by the room (not going too near him at first) and call out to him for him to "watch" us, when he looks we are suppossed to toss him an even better treat. This is to teach him that we are not a threat when he has a yummy treat, but that when we are around something positive will happen. Evetually you'll be able to get closer. But like Jeff has always said, she advized us to not mess with him when he's eating his regular food and not to disturb him too much while he's eating period. She said that it's important that they get their own food time. But anyhow, since we've been working with him on the treat thing he no longer guards his treat and is relaxed when eating his high valued treats.

Karen, I've seen the forsty paws in peanut butter also. I haven't gotten those though because Special hates peanut butter.

I'm not sure what stores you all have around you but I've gotten them for teh same price at Walmart as Jeri, they're REALLY expensive at Safeway ($5 a box!!!!) and about $3.80 at Giant.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

You should tell your behaviorist to write a book, She Sounds like my kind of Chow person. unlike all the others she must actually know what a Chow is.

All I have ever seen in Frosty Paws is the Original and Peanut butter, Pekoe's not Picky she eats Both. On those rare occasions when I do see both, the Original is sold out way before the peanut butter. What they really need is a chicken flavored Frosty Paw.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Yeah, she should write a book, she was great.

I LOVE the chicken flavored idea for frosty paws, you should email them that! But make sure you get credit for the idea!! :D Originally I thought it would be some weird meaty-type flavor so I was stunned when I opened the orginal flavor and it smelled like a really goos vanilla ice cream!
LuLu33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LuLu33 »

If you tried to help me with my ice cream cup I'd let you know under no uncertain terms did I want your help too!

:lol:
As for my Chow, what's his is his when I say it's his or he wouldn't get anymore. But that's me, I don't tolerate dominance well, I'm the boss no matter what.
For some though it's no big deal, he wanted it and didn't want to lose it (especially when another dog is in the home) and that doesn't mean he's a bad boy, just a hungry don't touch my treat now boy. I understand that....LOL
LuLu33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LuLu33 »

Sorry I called her a him....used to having a chowboy these days and it just rolls off the fingers.