CHOWCHOW Carting

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

CHOWCHOW Carting

Post by dannyoconnor430 »

hs anybody got anyexperience with Chows pulling carts? I have been looking into it. I figured that seeing as my Chows wont stop pulling (often in oposite direction), I might try and channel their efforts and save my arms!
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shane »

Hello,

Um I don't have any experience with chows pulling carts but the information that I am giving you should help abit.

With cart pulling it was one of the things which chows were oringinally used for in ancient china so I think you are doing a great thing. You are one of the few people that are bringing the chow's original working ability back to this mordern time. Since chows were used to pull carts in ancient china pulling loeds should not be a problems since chows have powerful hind quarters. Just make sure your chow have good joints. I saw this thing on national geographic a woman had her rottweiller pulling a scooter with her on it. She said that when a harnest is put onto a dog he is instinctively pulls. Seeing that she did it she had a whole group of people doing it having alaskan malamutes golden retreivers and some other breeds. If you consider this try using one chow at first till u get the hang of it.

Try using a tredmil. this is quite simple just have the chow placed on introduce it to him slowly and have him at a walking pace for about half an hour.

If he is pulling you as you walk quite simple this should not take you no more than one day two days most to accomplish. Use a choker chain and place it high upon his neck like a handler would do a dog show. When you put it on him in the houseyou lead him out not vice versa. When you go into the street (side walk ) don't all him to go infront keep at your waist and when he does something like to head in the another direction etc. give the lead a small gerk and don't put tension on the lead.

Shane
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I did see a guy at Alameda park that had made a rikshaw looking thing attached to a baby stroller, his Chow was pulling the baby around like it was no big deal, the Chow seemed to think it was his job to keep the baby safe so was careful to keep the stroller on the sidewalk, the Chow seemed to know what was supposed to be done and was doing a great stroller pull.
I wish i had my camera with me.

I tried having Pekoe pull a snow sled a few times but she just sits down and won't move, when we reverse it with us pulling her thats no problem she loves that.
OH Guest

Post by OH Guest »

Be aware of the physical condition of your chows b/4 you start. You prob. already know that you should get them a physical first, just to make sure they're sound enough to handle it. I think its a great idea though I seem to be the only one with a chow that doesn't pull on lead. If fact he'd prob. turn around and give me the "you're being a dumb*ss" look for attempting to have him cart. But it sounds like fun!

example of what to look out for: Just went thru that one .......
Ruptured or Torn Cruciate Ligaments
Due to the Chow's straight rear legs, the lack of angulation makes them an easy target for torn cruciate ligaments. All it takes is a run up the stairs, or banging the knee against a step. The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is a tough, fibrous band that connects the shinbone (tibia) to the thighbone (femur). The ACL is the main stabilizing ligament of the knee, and its primary function is to prevent front-to-back movement of the knee joint while still allowing the joint to flex and extend. Typically, there are two different syndromes that can predispose a dog to an ACL rupture. The first syndrome is seen in the young active dog that ruptures the ligament during strenuous exercise. The dog may be chasing a ball, making quick stops and starts, and suddenly cry in pain and come up acutely lame. For a week or so the dog cannot even place weight on the leg. The other scenario is the older, overweight dog that ruptures the ligament due to chronic abnormalities in the leg. These animals usually can put a little weight on the bad leg, but sometimes they cannot. This lameness can often go on for extended periods of time before the owner realizes that this problem is not going to go away by itself and will require medical attention. In this category of injury, it is not uncommon at all eventually to have the other leg affected and require medical or surgical attention.
For more information, see: http://www.pettribune.com/1999/012099/dogtime.html