HELP!!!! I'm afraid my chow wants to eat my daughters dog

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

coco102168
Rank 0
Rank 0

HELP!!!! I'm afraid my chow wants to eat my daughters dog

Post by coco102168 »

my chow is drooling at the site of my daughters new dog. she has been around other dogs i dont think she has ever done this before. It's making me very nervous.
IS this a behavior thing or does she want to eat this dog?HELP!!!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

What are the dog's ages? Does your dog growl or make any other aggressive gestures? Try letting them meet with a chain link fence between them and see if it really is aggression.
coco102168
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by coco102168 »

doesn't growl or anything just sniffs, and whines. this other dog is smaller (puppy) so he isn't sure what to make of my chow who of course is quite larger. I've kept them in separate rooms, my chow with me my daughters with her. I just don't want Dixie thinking she is in trouble because of this other new dog. any suggestions
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The drolling is coming from excitement not agression I don't think your Chow wants to harm him I'm pretty sure he's just excited and wants to sniff and see who this new dog is.

I don't think you have to keep them seperated for fear of your Chow having a snack but try letting him get a little closer, Saying be nice but watch your Chow carefully.

My Chow has done that also, drolling and whining when she see's certain cats and her new Lab boyfriend down the street, at first I thought she just wanted to kill them and have a hot cat sandwich with out gravy but one day I took a chance and let her go, all she wanted to do was sniff and chat with the cat, It was a household cat, a stray would have been dead in a second, the Lab that was tru love, but I think your Chow is just excited and curious.
coco102168
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by coco102168 »

thanks you sooo....much i'm doing just that off and on cause she still makes me nervous
chris

Post by chris »

Keep us updated. :-) Jeff is right.. mine does the same thing. drewl, whine.. drewl... whine... then.. play stance. LOL. :-)

Jeff... Pekoe has a new BOYFRIEND??? did you mention this somehwere? I didn't see... how wonderful. Tell us a story, how did they meet? come on now..
FiremanDave
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FiremanDave »

Howdy, I'm new to the forum but an old hand when it comes to Chows. i understand your anxiety, but what your describing dosn't sound like aggression to me. My Panda (red female, 6 yo) displayed similar behavior two weeks ago when I brought Bear homw (10 week Blue male) whinning and drooling, but she was just excited to see him, after sniffing hime out and mouthing on him, ( not biting ) she soon showed typical play behavior. This was much the same when I first brought her home and she was around Beau ( a 10 yo black male) he exibited some low woofing and mouthing and then play behavior. Chows seem to be able to recognize a puppy, perhaps the smell is different.
chris

Post by chris »

Welcome to the board firmandave. There is a rule here at this site... before you can post anymore you must show us pictures of your chows. 8) :D :wink:
chris

Post by chris »

you too coco102168. :)
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Hahaha, Chris that's great!

Welcome coco102168 and fireman Dave!! We'd love to see pics!

Yes, I also think it's just excitement, but you can always keep a close eye on the situation just in case. Monitor 6their interactions until you're comfortable with letting them together.
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

Welcome newcomers! :D
I can also confirm this behaviour. My nine year old, Chubaka made a wet, slippery mess :? of my floor two months ago when we first brought home my Magda, who is now four months old.
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Hi new chow parents, we want pictures!

And my Firesong ONLY drools when she wants to play, she used to have my Darkwind a soaking mess from drooling all over him. Many male chows, even neutered, will also drool if they smell a female, particularly one in heat.

Drooling is a sign of excitment normally not agression or anger.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

I don't think this is aggression; it's just interest.

Watch them closely, but I think he just wants to make a new friend.

P.S. Welcome to the new people on the board. I also want to see pictures.