THE FUN OF 2 CHOWS

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

THE FUN OF 2 CHOWS

Post by dannyoconnor430 »

This is my first thread so here goes. I have a pure jet black girl called Holly (18months) and a pure red male Max (7months although he is the bigger one now). Holly is ignorant, rude, disrespectful but we love her. Max wishe she could be with you all the time, and lets us know at 2 hourly intervals through the night. Holly is a bit of a madam constantly walks round with a ginger beard from Max. She is such hard work. Even the simplest things she isnt interested in. She wont eat treats or accept praise!! That justa about removes any reward programs.. Max on the other hand will do anythingfor some love and he's the man. I have GSD before and it is unreal the character differences between them. I wish I could make some progress with Holly. After 18 months I have uttered the 'thats just her' phrase! I will post some pictures when I learn how. Holly is about 25kg Max is about 28kg now possibly more-he won't stop. Im from England so weather is probably better for them here but I do have a paddling pool. Holly avoids it, Max thinks its the worlds biggest water bowl!![/img]
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Danny

Please don't worry about Holly. We have two chows and we livein Cheshire. Milly and Mabel are litter sisters and they are both absolutely beautiful and we adore them and they love us.
However, they are arrogant, self-willed, disobedient, aloof, mischievous, fussy with food (especially Milly), cannot be trusted off the lead, they steal things and so on..................
But, they love us and we love them.
We too have had other dogs - Great Danes for many years - the last dog we had was a boxer bitch - they when she died almost five years ago - we brought Milly home, followed closely by Mabel.
They are unlike any other dog we have ever known.
Do also remember that they are young 'teenagers' at the moment - Milly and Mabel are now four and a half and will be five in September and they have mellowed.
Please let us know more about them. I envy you the boy as I would love a boy too but we would not be able to take three for a walk.
Wonder what M & M would make of a boy chowling!! :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

2 Chows

Post by dannyoconnor430 »

They are crackers. Max has a thief thing going on at the minute, where anything is game. They also appear to have very strong pulling instincts, Holly listens on about the 10th time you tell her to heel, but soon forgets and goes again. I was accidently lulled into feeling that Holly was good enough to go off lead. I tried in a neighbours field. Big mistake! As soon as she saw a rabbit she went, took an hour to catch her. Not try that one for a while. I was giving serious though to getting a 'cart' and they can pull me round as at the minute, my arms feel like they have been runover every time I take them out. I have seen people using their dogs for pulling them around, good exercie for them I suppose and plus it harnesses their pulling instinct. Will need to look into that one further before I attempt it though! We got Holly from a breeder and she looks fantastic. Max on the other hand has drop ear but he looks cute. We didnt see his parents but we dont care. We also have a cat! Holly deals with her by turning around and sitting on her when she tries to claw her. Max is a bit more direct and just tries to punch her back! Shes an ex stray so shes fine though. They hate birds and squirrels, with a passion. How do you put photos on?