Chow Chow Breeding

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

clevre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow Chow Breeding

Post by clevre »

Hi Guys

I'm a new Chow owner in Richmond. Would like to breed my 2 year old female chow with male chow to have puppies. Where can I find other owners to arrange something like this?

thanks
Gary
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chow Chow Breeding

Post by 612guy »

Most people will ask why are you wanting to breed her? Is she breeding stock. Do you know that a lot of times Chows will need a C-section to give birth, which can be really expensive and can be risky to your dog. The problem you are going to have is if you dog hasn't been tested for health issues or shown in confirmation most breeders aren't going to be interested. Is she fully AKC registered? Please tell us about her pedigree and post some photos or what breeder did you get her from. The other issue is most times the pair is breed at least twice a couple days apart so the closer you live to the stud dog the better.

Good luck,

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chow Chow Breeding

Post by Rory's Dad »

612 asks some good questions. I have a 2+ year old male, and wouldn't consider him for anyone that hasn't showed or had testing. It's about maintaining the quality of the breed. Although it's a secondary consideration for me, i would also want to keep in mind the overall look of the dog. I have a preference for mid-line chows, not too heavy, a closed face but not overly squished. i would avoid an overly tall dog (again, just my preference), or dogs that are excessively long.

Additionally, i question socialization. A 1st breeding session can be rough. If the female is not used to being around other dogs, she can become aggressive or she could panic and injuries can result. The timing of these events is also key. Repeat visits could be necessary, so logistics are key. The best scenario is with dogs that are housed together, but otherwise a close location allows for additional attempts.

After all that, i would hope that your ownership contract allows for breeding. Quite a few sales of breeding quality females allow the original breeder to have final say on choices. Anything less could actually ban breeding her.