New Member and First Time Chow Owner

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

kuma_chan
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Member and First Time Chow Owner

Post by kuma_chan »

Finally joined a forum that's dedicated to my kuma's breed. My big boy who i got around 2 weeks ago will be turning 3 mos in 3 days and he's becoming quite a handful. #-o I hope i can find answers and tips on how to groom and train him to be a good dog. Right now i'm having difficulty with his fur coz he always like to be wet and he has mats under his chin. And he's also becoming quite stubborn. But the good thing is he's already potty trained and well knows how to sit when told (even if only lasts for a few seconds :lol: ). I want to take him out for a walk but he wont even move after i put on his leash. :roll:

Anyway, i will be reading some of the topics now since i plan to deal with some of these issues this weekend. 8)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New Member and First Time Chow Owner

Post by Rory's Dad »

Try a bandana or a bib to keep the chin dry. My Amber is finally outgrowing the sloppy drinking at a year old. We do Confirmation Shows with her, and the constant slobbing was a problem that we needed to overcome. Finally she has decided she wants to be a neat Chow, but those worked as stop-gaps.

As for the stubborness, try to find an alternative to a battle of wills. The Chow will most likely win those battles, so you need to outsmart them. Baiting is usually successful, try a treat or a toy that is of particular interest. Reward for successful behavior. Ignore behavior you do not want.
kuma_chan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New Member and First Time Chow Owner

Post by kuma_chan »

thank you Rory's Dad. we tried putting a bandana on him yesterday but my stubborn big boy slumped his whole body on the wet part of our garden instead. so yeah his neck fur was dry but his stomach and pretty much everything else was wet. :lol: