Hello New Member with a New ChowChow

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

lucasmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hello New Member with a New ChowChow

Post by lucasmommy »

Hi there! My name is Ashton, I am 22 years old, and the new mommy to a precious ChowChow mix. I have two kids, Aiden who is 3, and Noah, who is 2. We went to the pound today planning to just look around and fell head over heels for our precious new boy. The pound didn't know much about him other than he was their "escape artist" lol. He seems to be very timid and just a big baby. We had to cut bath time short because I couldn't stand his sad little cries.

He has only been home 2 hours but has made himself pretty comfortable on the kids bed staring out the window. I hope to finish a good thorough bath tomorrow and take him for a walk since that seems to be his only concern. I had two chowchow/german shepard mixes as a kid and both were very loyal but sedate kind of dogs. I am hoping we will see a similar attitude from our Lucas but really I have no idea what to expect.

I will take and add some photos tonight! I would love any links to info on house training, adopting adult dogs, overcoming timidness, or anything you think might be helpful :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Hello New Member with a New ChowChow

Post by Rory's Dad »

He definitely has that 'escape artist' look in his eyes as he sits by the window. He is thinking of freedom and running in the open yard.

I would assume that he isnt used to the bathing, and a large number of Chows are really not fans of the water. Some are, but mostly not. That should not dissuade you from setting about a ground rule. If he needs a bath, and is only wimpering, not mouthing or objecting with any sort of biting/thrashing, you should continue the routine.

Excercise caution with young children. Chows do have a reputation as being single owner dogs, and while not completely founded in fact, it should be considered. Particularly when you have limited info on the dogs past/history. Your dog may not have an aggressive bone in his body. He also may have a preference to sit back and stare out the window undisturbed. Clearly he is a powerful dog with large teeth and must be respected. Chows can be headshy and have limited peripheral vision, so if rushed upon by a child from the side or top, they could swing about in a defensive manner.

Educate the kids on properly approaching him, as well as any other strangers who will want to see and pet your dog. Allow time for your family to socialize with your new family member. We spend time down at their level (on the floor) just petting and rubbing and soothing. We don't let much rough play or tugging games. We act as a calming influence (kids included). I would recommend a similar approach. Have the entire family involved in any training and in the feeding of the dog. Food is the most impactful resource to the Chow. Let him rely on everyone in the house for that.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Hello New Member with a New ChowChow

Post by maikinda »

Congratulations on the new addition. Here is a link you might find helpful http://www.peaceablepaws.com/pat-miller.php . Pat Miller is the author of several great books. You can probably find them in your library or of course on line. I always check the used book stores. The main thing is to be patient. Always supervise your little ones around any dog.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 1746 times