Puppy Chow chow help!

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowderismypet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Puppy Chow chow help!

Post by chowderismypet »

HI i recently acquired a 2 month old puppy chow chow and i live in the Philippines. All entries i read states that chow chow's do not thrive in hot humid weather and it is very humid and hot in the Philippines. I was thinking of bringing it inside my room but the pet shop owner said not to bring in inside an aircon room often since it will get colds. Any thoughts on this?

Also, how do i train my dog to pee and poop in the right place? and lastly, my dog smells bad...but is it true i cannot give it a bath once a week? HELP!!!! im clueless :((
murpleberry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Puppy Chow chow help!

Post by murpleberry »

HI CHOWDER!

Welcome to the Chow Life! I had my Chow for almost 2-3 months now! So when I got my puppy at 2 months old, it was a big hassle! I can relate to what you say! Dont WORRY about the AIR CONDITIONING! Matter of fact, I run my AC on everyday and have it in my room where my Chow Sleeps. Just don't over do it by making it like 55 degree in the room! It gets cold and your puppy will let you know when your Chowder barks! My puppy is super healthy and up to date with everything. I don't think having AC can be harmful.

As for training, I used puppy pads that are scented! I allow my pup to pee inside the house, but when it came to pooping. It was a miracle! He would only poop outside. I don't mind if peeing in the designated area as they will learn to go in an area you would like it. Now your pup may definitely smell because it may even lie in his own pee! If you notice some area in his private region getting stiff hard fur. You need to clean that area up. I use puppy wipes and do this perhaps 2 times a week. I give him a full rub down and especially taking out the smell. http://www.hartz.com/Hartz_Products/Dog ... wipes.aspx

Everybody has their way of figuring things out the first 2 weeks. I know I did! Soon enough, they wont get too stinky if you keep up with the grooming.
Dedicated to my fuzzball, Simba!
King_louey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by King_louey »

Louey is my first chow, I've had him for a couple of months. but we live in FLORIDA! always hot and very very humid! i take him for short walks he gets too hot and tired to take long duration walks. i have lots of tile in my house so he tends to lay on the tile instead of wood or rugs. thinks it helps him stay cool. he does sleep in my room with me and i even gave him his own personal fan for him which he lays in front of most of the time. i always put crushed ice in his bowl which he loves and it keeps the water cooler longer so its always available for him. He has never had a cold that i know of.

i dont suggest washing him weekly, it'll dry out his skin causing hot spots. when i first got him i bathed him frequently and experienced that it irritated his skin and he was trying to nip at himself everywhere. i bathe my chow once a month or can go longer than a month sometimes. i have a neutral deodorizer so its not scented and too strong but it takes the outside smell away.

as for bathroom training, i put him on a schedule everyday for him to get used to. and when he did pee inside the house i did not crate him i would rub his nose in it and take him outside immediately.
dogsrule
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dogsrule »

Im watching this thread with interest as we are currently looking at getting a chow chow. They are so beautiful. Just been reading through http://chowchow.co.uk/ and I cannot believe how much there is to selecting one! Hope im ready for it all and will watch this thread with interest.
chowderismypet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowderismypet »

Take you all so much for your comments. It was valuable insights i now use on my chowchow. At first, i bathed him once a week and he kept on itching! i checked for fleas but there weren't any. Im guessing this are "hotspots" or dry skin from bathing him too often. I think i will now bathe him once a month instead. I trained him to poop and pee in the lanai area and it did work! But there are times he pees in my room. When he does so i put him back in his cage. The crush ice in his water is genius! my chow loves it. especially since it gets very hot here.

When he smells i spray some puppy powder and he smells good again. Or sometimes i use all natural citronella cologne i purchased from the vet.

Chow Chows are such beautiful animals but make sure to get it from a good breader. I made a mistake by buying him from a store only to find out days after he had erlichia (blood parasite) which he contracted from the pet store. Good thing we caught the disease early and he is now treated and doing okay :)