new here & adopting older chow

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

DoulaAya
Rank 0
Rank 0

new here & adopting older chow

Post by DoulaAya »

Hey everyone! I'm brand new here (obviously), and looking for advice. We've always wanted a chow but never came across anyt until now. Our neighbor has a beautiful red 3 year old chow. He can't keep her but has been hesitant on finding someone to take her then he heard on the grapevine about how we always wanted one. Thing is, he didn't really socialize her a lot as a pup (although he also has a sister of hers, one year older, which is his heart & soul) so obviously she's being very shy & cautious around us. She's also never seen a baby and she seems scared of my 17 month old. We go over there a couple times a day to get her used to us and hopefully make the transition easier. We're also being patient, lettering her make first contact, and spoiling her with her favorite treats. She's slowly coming closer and allowing us to pet her. Any advice to make this easier on her?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: new here & adopting older chow

Post by Rory's Dad »

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Let the situation and transition (if it is to be) dictate itself.

My biggest concern is what gets chows their reputation as a bad breed in the 1st place. Quite often single males will get chows as a pet and then get married have kids, etc. The change in a family dynamic is difficult for chows. They can view it as a change in their pecking order.

If you can make a smooth transition by introducing your family and get no resistance from the dog, i think you are in good shape. Lack of socialization aside, it seems like you are well introduced and are countering that issue. Watch how the dog reacts to each member of your family, and if he seems OK, then you should be in the clear.
DoulaAya
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DoulaAya »

She's starting to allow us to pet her now. She even let the 17 month old get really close and touch her. The current owner isn't single. Currently the chow's home includes the owner, the owner's wife, the wife's 17 year old, a 1 year old boxer, another 4 year chow (the chows are sisters...format he same parents but a year apart), and 3 cats. Last night she even sat down by feet for a while so hoping things worked out. We're thinking of bringing her to our home for a few hours this Saturday hoping to allow her to get to know us on our own turf instead of the one she's currently used to.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

You are in tune with Chows. Hope all proceeds as planned, slow and easy. You must teach your young one the do's and don'ts of Chow handling to avoid a mishap. Keep us up to date. =P~