General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Chows and coughing

Post by Piff Poff »

Hi guys,

I posted a while ago -couple of years at least about Henrys reaction to me coughing. He has no reaction to anyone else coughing but with me it drives him insane, he wants as far away as possible and will stomp, pace and get into bed with our daughter. I have a cold and cough right now, Henry is going insane, I feel sobad for him. How can I calm him down. Im his favourite person. We have had him from puppyhood andhe is 7 this year.
Thank you Sweatpea
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chows and coughing

Post by applebear »

I'm wondering if you could somehow desensitize him to your cough...or get him to associate it with a positive thing like treats. Like every time you cough, toss a treat? I really have no idea...lol

My last chow use to react to coughing too, except it was anyone's cough...he didn't like any of them. We just ignored him, but he didn't react as strongly...would just get up and move away from the offender.
Stella
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Stella »

My chow is the exact opposite, if I have a coughing fit, she jumps up on my bed and stands above me on my pillow. AS if on guard to ward off the coughing monster. If I wasn't so miserable while sick, I'd find it amusing.

I like the idea of tossing a treat when you cough.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

I tried the treat thing last night, it was fine while I was holding a treat, but then he ran away as soon as he got the treat. He resorted to hiding in DD's bedroom closet last night - the furthest he could get away from me. Anyone else that coughs he doesn't bat an eyelid. It's also the same if I happen to throw up, DH said last night when he let him outside that he was trembling with fear, he only wanted out because I was coughing.
Thank you Sweatpea
tabate45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tabate45 »

Shyann runs away every time I sneeze. She can be dead asleep too. Really weird the things that can bug our kids!!