Socialization

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kyh011
Rank 0
Rank 0

Socialization

Post by kyh011 »

We just adopted a 7 months old chow chow and it's not well socialized. Could you guys give me tips on how to socialize him? Thanks!
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Socialization

Post by wokman »

Could you be more specific too the problems you are having. :?
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Take your chow out to as many public areas where people are and let them pet him. Trying to make each experience a positive one. Treats are never a bad idea either. Any train class is good too because there are people and other dogs. You might have to take it slower at first but chows like to go for walks so that's in your favor.

Brutus
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I agree with wokman, we need a bit more information. Are you talking about dog to human interaction, dog to dog, or both? Does he back away in fear, ignore the other person, or dog, or does he act aggressively, barking, growling, showing teeth?

the most modest form, being a bit afraid of other people is the easist to fix. First don't cuddle him about it, in fact laugh at him some, encourage him to approach or accept the approach by other people, (don't let them approach him from anywhere but directly in front of him, chows have horrible perriferal vision) Offer him much praise and a treat if he accepts a pat from them.

All the other forms are harder to deal with. We'd need to know much more about his actions to give you real advice.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Touch him EVERYWHERE! Between toes, behind ears, under tail, comb buttocks, etc. Get him used to your touch as much as possible. Use treats to build trust. And, just like 612 said, take him EVERYWHERE. If you know people who are friendly and not automatically afraid of dogs, especially chows, those are the best to start with. Be reassuring during the meet but watch his reaction. If it's too much for him, remove him from the situation. He's really gonna be looking to you for direction here and it's your responsibility to set up good experiences. The more of those you have, the more confident your little guy will become.

So ... how do you do that? [and I don't say this to say you're dumb but you didn't tell us how experienced you are with chows]

A) Give your visitors instructions, like:
1. Don't rush up to my chow chow or move quickly
2. Don't put your fingers out
3. DO speak in calm, low voice
4. DO reach out with hand in loose fist, lowered for pup to smell first
5. DO NOT touch or reach for chow chows head.
6. DO tickle/scratch behind ears (or other happy places for your chow chow).
B) BE CALM ... your chow chow will sense every emotion from you, which is why meeting with people you know and trust FIRST will help you practice with folks you do not.
C) Have a treat handy for your visitors. Have them hold it in their hands, like a food dish, and allow your chowpup to come to them. Instruct them NOT to jam it in their face but any treat a chow will enjoy exploring, and will also get the scent of the visitor. If your chow does not approach, have the visitor kneel down and put the treat directly in front of their knees. When your chow approaches, they could place hands flat on the floor nearby, either holding more treats or simply just being there to explore. If they get a sniff, they could scratch behind ears, etc., as your chowpup allows.
D) DO NOT restrict your chows movement. Some folks will stand behind or force the dog to meet, but chows are VERY independent and don't like to be trapped. This is a good time for you to observe how your boy reacts. If he's curious, GREAT! He may approach new visitor, sniff and even kiss. If he cowers behind you, he may just need reassurance from you in the form of comforting words, soothing pats but again, don't force him into the interaction.
E) I HIGHLY recommend you do not start out with children. Our boys do not like them AT ALL. I think it's their energy and lack of understanding. They get far too excited. We have noticed that about 9-10 year-old's are okay for our boys but younger than that and ... well ... it's just not fun for anyone.

(Max was our lover boy and did this immediately while Leo would only bark and retreat ... as we worked with him as in the above, he has become much more confident and curious. He still doesn't kiss ... but he will sniff with no barking.)

I hope that helps and also will get the conversation moving along, too. His confidence really comes from you so make his first few meetings as positive as you can. This is training you how to react, too. And always be prepared to be your pups protector. If the situation calls for you to remove him, do so but remember to be kind and comforting (both to your pup and the person with whom he is interacting).

Finally, as your pups confidence builds, the Pet Store is a GREAT place for him. Our local store Wags to Wiskers has the most wonderful staff who are always eager to meet our boys and who know them by name. That always helps.

Keep us informed of his/your progress. And, hang in there. Your efforts will be rewarded with a confident boy!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Count Yogi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Count Yogi »

You have been given some great advice regarding Chows. Be firm but gentle. Chows do not respond AT ALL to rough treatment. Chows, whether new puppies or rescued, will take a bit of time to adjust to their new family and surroundings.

I would suggest two things to help hasten the transition. First, these rascals love, love, love attention. Get a two layer comb and wire brush for the top coat and comb and brush your Chow several times a days. Any family member or child who comes into frequent contact should also participate in the brushing activity. Since brushing and attention is always pleasant for your Chow, it will make positive associations with the immediate family move quickly. After the Chow is comfortable with you, it will respond to others more easily.

The other suggestions to place a box of toys, blankets or other items familiar to your Chow in a common area of your home. When it come to play with its toys, the Chow will also be amongst the people that it holds dear.

Let me know how it goes...... These are broad strokes. If your Chow is like ours, it will have its own mind and plenty of personality.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

All good advice, just work at it constantly. ShenLung was like this since birth, wouldn't even let us touch his head for a year. Now at 5 yrs he will let about 40% of people approach him, some he outright loves to be in contact with and only sees them a few times a year. Going for bath a grooming he is insane, runs in, jumps up onto the table, dancing, super excited to be molested by several women over a 2 hr period. Loves his vet as well and several people in the neighbourhood. It will work out if you put the effort in, the positive re-enforcement is very necessary. Note: we have never used treats, we have always preferred mutual respect to coercion. ;)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Everyone has given you great advice. I want to say that if you live in a big city in the US it is a very good idea to get your chowling used to small childern. In the US in most big cities, any dog that acts aggressively toward small childern can end up being put down.

I had a 8 year old intact male who hadn't been raised around childern and he didn't like them. I would take him to our local park every day, when the kids were out. First we just sat and watched them, when the kids ran over and asked if they could pet him, for a while I said, not today. When he began to sit calmly with me, with no tension, or nervousness to his body language, then I allowed them to approach, but I took a good firm hold on his head, and watched him carefully. I told the kids to approach one and a time, to speak softly and to pet him softly. And as they did, I praised, praised, praised. In a very short time he would actually go up to the childern himself and allow them to pet him, turn and look at me as if to say, "see, I'm good, tell me I'm good." So I did.

I did this and I tell you this, because a chow's reaction time is a split second, and a chow who is intolerant of childern can spin on one in a heartbeat and bite before you can even try to stop them. I've done much the same with my Firesong who really isn't that into people of any age, but she'll allow small fingers to reach for her, without reacting, she'll back up slowly if she can, but she'll give a little kiss first too. And she is a very hyper, anxious chow girl. It isn't the easiest thing to teach, but stay calm, expect correct behavior and you'll get it.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!