Chow puppy not shedding

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ruben
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow puppy not shedding

Post by ruben »

Hi, we have an 11 month old Chow x Samoyed puppy - I just wanted to check when he should be shedding his puppy coat? Summer has started here (Melbourne, Australia) and we've had quite a few hot weeks, but he hasn't shed - a few small tufts here and there but nothing big. I've read that chows will shed a lot in summer, and puppies should lose their puppy undercoat?
When we brush him he loses a little bit but hardly anything...
Thanks everyone
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Chow puppy not shedding

Post by cherriemater »

Wow! That's odd. Our boys started in their 7th/8th month but Max is still letting his mane loose (they're 14 months now) and his butt hair is so tight that no matter how much I brush/comb I just can't get rid of it. When Leo shed, he let loose of EVERYTHING ... undercoat and all. Fortunately, it grew back in nicely and I can no longer see his white skin.

Do Samoyed's shed?? Perhaps that is the delay for you? I hope other's chime in because I find that intriguing.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Pics would help, but our Rory has shed about 80% of puppy fur at 14 months. Some tufts at the top of his head still hanging on...gives him a blonde streak in what should be a red dog. Kind of looking like my daughter with the emo look...then again its better than the goth look from last year.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Some chows and Sammy's don't really shed until AFTER the hottest part of the year. That coat traps the cool air as well as the warmth, this is really true for Sammy's. He might shed right before winter. My Dreamdancer sheds months after Firesong does, it's kind of nice, she gets all done then he starts...
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!