chows as sloppy drinkers

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

chows as sloppy drinkers

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I know this topic has been discussed before. I have discovered that people are not the only one that chows are sloppy drinkers. In the kitchen, we have a large round drinkwell fountain. We got it for the cats, but the chows seem to like it too. Ursa and Malachi had just both gotten a drink, and Yoda tried to approach the fountain, but he found that he could not do so with out getting his feet wet. There was a very displeased cat. I guess he didn't blame it on the dogs, since he frequently vents his frustration by taking it out on the nearest dog.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: chows as sloppy drinkers

Post by 612guy »

The water bowl for our dogs are in the laundry room with a big rug underneath it. We really don't like getting wet socks or wiping up all the time and this has be the best solution. Plus it's right by the sink for water.

Brutus
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

My Male Chow, Leo makes use of his dripping wet mane for part of his biological attacks on my food. I guess he thinks I will give up a meal to him because of dog germs. He also tries to get his tail in my food as he passes close by the low T.V. table I use. The water shower and tail attacks are followed by close to plate breathing and attempted tasting by purple tongue. :-8
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

I have a male Chow and his half sister Zeena. Max is a neat drinker but, Zeena is a slob. She'll still have water her mouth when she walks away from the bowl drooling all the way. Constantly cleaning up her slobber and her snortings on the window too. She'll get in the window snorting at someone or animal out there that she sees. I'm used to it but, it's amazing what you can used to.
Gene.
Gene
Conrad's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Conrad's Mom »

Conrad does not just use his water bowl to drink (and he is a bit of a slob) he also takes baths in it...or around it. This entails jumping into the bowl with two front paws which delivers a big splash and an instantly wet puppy. If that is not quite enough fun (or I am too far away to put a stop to these games) he proceeds to pretend dig in the bowl which, of course, gets all the water out and on the floor. The best thing to do after is to roll in the water till thoroughly wet and then proceed to the lightest carpet in the house for a nap. #-o
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Chloe will get a drink and get her entire neck/chest wet then leave the kitchen dribbling all the way, walk in the family room and shake sending water flying all over the coffee table, entertainment center, floor, etc. As this has been going on now for 5 yrs I have given up. She is the only chow I have ever owned with this drinking problem. She is certainly worth the wet socks and extra cleaning though. Shug is a perfectly neat drinker as were my others.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Rococo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Rococo »

Oh wow, I didn't think a lot of chows are sloppy drinkers. My pom/shih tzu mix (RIP :[ ) as well as all my mom's mutts were very neat drinkers, so imagine how amused I was when my chow dipped his two front paws into his water bowl, wet the floor with them, and the lie down like a frog on top of the small puddle.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Tess was a very neat drinker, even lapping up her drips. Not Lilly, dear Lilly gets her mane soaked & drips all the way from the kitchen to the front room...... I have learned to wear slip on shoes at all times. At first it bothered me to see the drips on the floor (got Pergo because of Tess) now it's just a part of our life.... :lol:
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yep, our Amber is the same. Always wet and drawing in every dirt particle she can find. Out male is the cleanest dog ever, but she can't seem to figure it out. Lots of doggy towels and bibs. A no-spill bowl helps, buy not 100%.
YMMV
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YMMV »

Me & Tess wrote:Tess was a very neat drinker, even lapping up her drips. Not Lilly, dear Lilly gets her mane soaked & drips all the way from the kitchen to the front room...... I have learned to wear slip on shoes at all times. At first it bothered me to see the drips on the floor (got Pergo because of Tess) now it's just a part of our life.... :lol:
That's funny. My chow Leah is the same way. Drinks her water and watch the drips across the kitchen floor into the hallway. I will look at her and she will give the "I didn't do it" look.
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Max is a neat drinker, but his half sister is another story. She "slops" it up and while here mouth is still full of water walks away drooling all the way. It bugs me pink. But, that's how she is. Still love her.
Gene.
Gene
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Yep our 2 chows are sloppy drinkers also..our male looks like he has taken a bath after he drinks and our female is no better..lol..And our Airedale gets his whole beard wet and drips it everywhere,And i bet everyone thinks a Collie is such a regal drinker WRONG...lol he makes the worse mess..he has such a long nose when he's done drinking he lifts his head and most of the water comes back out of his mouth spilling it everywhere, lol..alot of wet socks in our house...its fun watching the cats step in it tho you see them shake there paws in dis-belief...and angry...LOL....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida