My chow puppy (7months) has stinky eyes since
She was 3months old.

I think it's from her discharges. She cannot even
Open her eyes in the morning because of her
Sticky,yellow discharges.

And she tears a lot too... The vet gave us the eye gel
to apply twice a day for 15days. While she was using the gel,
her eyes were clean and dry. But since it's one type of
Medication, i stopped using it. And now tears again!

Some people said that it is normal for chows.
But it smells really bad...now I wipe them every night with warm wet cloth.
Is it because of her inner eye lashes? Do your chows have smelly eyes too??
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Smelly eyes????

Post by Blackbear »

Firstly it is not normal fo r chows. Secondly find another vet as it sounds like entropian. This is a serious condition and can lead to blindness.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

No, definitely not normal. Only a severe, untreated infection starts to smell and to ooze yellow puss! :(
cge2809 wrote: I think it's from her discharges. She cannot even
Open her eyes in the morning because of her
Sticky,yellow discharges.
That is so sad, that she has to live like that, when there is medication out there that helps her. Her quality of life is severely impacted by the pain this likely causes her and the fact that she can't see. :( If it is entropion, she is going to need eye drops until she's old enough to have the operation to correct it. Go see your vet again asap, and this time don't stop the treatment because YOU decide it's been too long. You're not a vet, you shouldn't try to make that call. A pet that is still sick after treatment needs to go back to the vet for more treatment. You owe your puppy a healthy life, which includes constant veterinary supervision as long as her health has not been restored.

After Loo's entropian surgery, he needed eyedrops every 30 minutes, all day long, and I got up at night, too, to put them in every now and then. I know putting stuff in dogs' eyes is not anyone's idea of fun, but, like Blackbear said, it means the difference between a dog that is able to see and a blind dog. Your dog is on the road of going blind, and you have to start turning things around, now! So what does a little expense and a little trouble matter, when you can make such a big change in your little girl's life?
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

As above - smelly discharge is definitely not normal and sign of an infection. Sounds very likely that your chow has entropian. Fozz had it and I got it sorted asap - you can too. Good luck!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Absolutely not normal, as the others have said.
Needs to be seen to. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

ODER IS BAD. AS THE OTHERS HAVE SAID NOT NORMAL. SEE AN OPTHAMOLOGIST. My Female Chow Zoey has had yellow discharge on and off for many years, without oder or redness. The doctors thought allegies since her eye lids are not turned in rubbing the eye. She developed an allergy to the drops which the Opthamologist issued causing more discharge. A different type of drops were issued to my late female for dry eye, those drops worked on Zoey for awhile but now do not seem to help. I read one Post a few months ago that said dust mites could cause allegies and discharge. Since this is a discussion about eye infection I thought to bring this up.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Yes it could be allergies or entroprian or a combination of both. Which ever it is, (and it IS something) any odor coming from it is bad. My Firesong has mild entoprian of one eye and has a slight discharge, but it never, ever smells bad. Your chow most likely has an infection from some problem, and that will need to be cleared up before anything else can be done.

Never stop medication without consulting your vet, especially for an infection. Any infection that is part way treated with medication and then the medication is stopped before the infection is killed will become a stronger infection and harder to treat. If you have questions or concerns about a medication, what it is, what is it used for, what are the possible side effects, how long should it be given, average time for it to work etc, the time to ask those questions is before you start giving it.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I agree with Victory, ask questions while you are at the vet and follow the instructions. If you have more questions later you should be able to call your vet for advice. I know I can do that with mine.

It is very important to give the full course of treatment with any infection. Just because they seem better doesn't mean the infection is gone.