How to introduce new puppy ???

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

How to introduce new puppy ???

Post by Pinoy51 »

Few days more and Nala our new female Chow will join us. Would like to get some tips how to get everyone, but specially Simba, to like her. I'm very familiar how to go about it with the other girls and guys, but I'm not sure if that works for my "big boy". Please Chow parents will multiple Chowdrens share some of your knowledge.
To make things worse, I will have to go on a business trip a few days after the little girl arrives, so I need to train my dog sitter as well.
thanks for your support.
Best regards
Pinoy51
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: How to introduce new puppy ???

Post by wokman »

I would not take the chance of leaving Nala unattended with your others. I would kennel her until you return, unless your sitter will be with your pack 24/7 and you feel you can trust the sitter to crate Nala when they leave your residence. You just do not know what is going on in mind of a Pack leader.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

For what it is worth (and I only have 2 chows so not a big pack), I think that the less anxiety you have about it the smoother it goes. I just let mine get on with it but stay with them at all times until baby settles in. Good luck and please post a photo.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Have had two males together at the same time. Funny, buts its like real children. Closer they are in age, the worse it could be. If they are really close in age, they will play during puppy ages. If there is a big difference, you can see some tolerances. Its that in-between thing that i would be worried about (2 years or so). If your current chow is well socialized towards other dogs, that should make it easier. There is always the territory thing, but a well behaved dog should be accepting. He may have a 'special' spot that you should make off limits while you are away, but common areas should be ok.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

As a late thought, perhaps you could delay taking Nala from the breeder until after you return if you have such worries.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

to Rory's Dad, actually thinking of it, but my helper is really good in taking care of the pack, even Simba respects her if I'm not around. I will spend 3 days 24/7 with them and then another week morning and nights before I go for a couple of days. I can also separate Nala from the rest if I'm not around. But I know how "sneaky" SImba can be to get what he wants. So I want to ensure he is not getting too rough with her, if she invades spaces he normally claims for him during the day.
Simba and Nala will be roughly 6 months apart, 9 months vs 3 months. So not too far.
I won't have anxiety as long as I'm in charge, my worries are for the time I can't take care. So I woul like to know if three days could be enough to settle Simba and Nala, I know it will be for the "old" guys.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Simba is at that juvenile age, but i think that with that age difference, a couple days with the true pack leader, and good supervision, they should be OK.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Thanks for the re-assurance, actually I feel that too. Specially after today. I had Simba "down town" for the first time. Full program: car ride, walking on the leash through car park, crossing streats, passing lots of strangers. Sitting with me at the outside area of an restaurant, etc. He did so well :D. He only planted his feed when he wanted to sniff something out, other than that he fully trusted me. We had fun, he also got food and water during the restaurant stay. Got compliments for my well mannered dog. In the Philippines you don't see that many dog owners brining their pets with them to a walk through the town. So I guess I can handle him with the new little girl too end of next week.
Best regards
Pinoy51
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

Hey Pinoy,

Congradulations on the new puppy!

When we brought Marru home we followed a few steps that seemed to work well.

Lots of time on the floor with the new puppy and letting Maddoxx sniff and get used to her scent. Since she smells like a puppy he natural knew to be gentle and was more skittish with her around. The love affaire with us ended as soon as she saw Maddoxx. Only wanted to follow Maddoxx around. So we used that as a guide.

When it was time to pee for her (every hour) we would bring Maddoxx to the door, have him sit, and took him out first and down into the yard. She would follow right along and pee'd at the same time. House broken, day 1 - YEAH!

We even took our first walk on day 2 as a pack. Maddoxx in front and her following. First time on a leash was awful with Maddoxx but this new puppy got over it in a few minutes because she wanted to follow Maddoxx. They key was to keep in front enough so she wouldn't bite his heels.

During the day and evening when everyone needed a break from puppy watching. We set up a dog pen in the house where she could see us and we could see her. She would whine for about 2 minutes and then fall asleep. Maddoxx always laid down away from her, but where he could watch her.

All this made the transition much easier. She learned to use Maddoxx as a guide and Maddoxx maintained his role as the Alpha of the two of them. You must remember to give some private time for the older chow so he doesn't feel demoted or ignored. I walk give Maddoxx a second walk all on his own, which he loved.

Also practice all the Alpha techniques you use with your single chow. But now include him.
1. You walk through the door, then older chow, then puppy
2. Older chow gets treats first then puppy.
3. Older chow walks infront of pupply
4. We fed both chows at the same time. So we would put food down for Maddoxx and give him 5 minutes head start and then put food down for puppy. We had to hold her (pet her) during the 5 minutes so she wouldn't intrude) If she tried to infringe on his food, he would give a growl and a bark and then she would sit on her bum and wait. They have their own way of working things out. We free feed all day long so there has never been food jealousy.

Good luck!
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Thanks a lot Nanouet for taking the time to explain your introduction in so much detail.
I will follow your advise, just remembered that we did this with our second rescue dog Sandie, when she joined us during a vacation trip, 11 years ago. She practically followed our first dog Reyna, so I didn't need to train her specifically as she copied whatever Reyna did.
So thanks again, will practise this with Simba and Nala.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

You have multiple dogs right now dont you? You said you got 3 days with them and then 2 days away?
What I do whenever I need to introduce a puppy is to separate the pup first using a kennel cage.. All the dogs dont get their routine disrupted. They go about our usual day except for the new arrival. If they are so barky and it makes the pup scared I place the pup in a room where they cannot be seen by the pup (that room has to have some movement so your puppy get to see people moving around the house or at least has a view out so she wont get bored). Once or twice a day I will let them sniff out the new one while on a kennel cage. If I deem all of them will be safe -meaning they are not aggressive towards the new one, I will caged all of them except one dog to remain and then I let the puppy out and supervise them for 10-15minutes. Separate them after. That's it. You can do two dogs taking turn. After which, have the puppy get her rest away from them.
After a few days of seclusion, I place the pup's kennel outside with the other dogs for them to observe her all day. This kind of intro needs many days. I don't just let the puppy out and get bullied. She is still small and if her shots are not yet complete (rabies at 3 months of age) She cannot really interact will all of them. There's corona virus you have to be wary of, if her shots are only 5 in 1.

If you'll follow my method, your sched does not present a problem. While away, just instruct your househelp to cage all the dogs when letting Nala out. So she can roam around freely for half an hour 4 times a day after her meals.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Hi Cam Atis,
thanks for the advise, I actually have another week after I'm goingto spend 3days with them fulltime.
I will surely follow the separation of the pup specially at night.
Can be done, even we don't have cages for the dogs. All our dogs living with us on their terms, Simba is the first one I have to use a leash. All the other guys don't have collars and leashes, they live around the house and we go out with them in the morning and evening. Works fine, but Chows are different, so Simba walks on the leash with me. That"s why i asked for tips, as he is much more intelligent and headstrong than all my other dogs :D
Best regards
Pinoy51
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Yes they do are headstrong. But since I am so used with dalmatians, I find Cassie refreshing.
On the plus side, chows learn quickly and will not push you to limit. Hope you post pictures of Nala soon. She'd be fine and already enrolled in puppy socialization class exclusively at home :D
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Hahaha, I like the puppy socialization class, never thought about it in this way. Fully agree with the " not pushing to the limits". Simba starts surprising me, by doing what I want him too, without protest or ignoring after looking and listening. He just needs his 30seconds of "thinking about it".
Best regards
Pinoy51
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Just thought I should post an update how things worked out in reality.
When Nala arrived Simba was overly excited, for a few moments I was worried he might collapse.
He didn't move from her side for hours and consistently smelled and mouthed her. After an hour she looked like coming out of the shower :lol: He was panting like a locomotive.
I could have them sleeping in one room the very same night, as both were totally exhausted.
Next two days I spend with them mainly by educating Simba not to be too possessive and to listen to her yelping.
The last part not completely successful until now, he remains my "Bully", guess it is just his nature.
But mostly he takes care of her now, and let her play with his mane and tail, he mostly lies down so they can play.
They're together most of the day now, they share water bowl, play and don't need to be supervised always.
I had them to the Vet together, even to my restaurant. Nala is following Simba on the leash, pretty well.
So overall, I haven't regret for a moment to have this two, in our household, they're our Chowdren.
Best regards
Pinoy51
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

Our chows can surprise us when we step back and let nature take its coarse. Using and understanding the Pack mentality can make things so much easier. Once we let Maddoxx be part of the training and confirmed his position. LIfe go so much easier.

Very happy you have such success, all the anxiety is gone. Puppy is integrated. Well done! Chows are always better in two's I think!
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Left for my business trip, blogging from Japan right now. Until now they're also doing fine without me being around.
I taught my helper to acknowledge Simba's leading position by petting him first, feeding him first and in general take care of him ahead of Nala, or at least together with her. But never ignore him because Nala still is the cute little puppy. Works wonders, he really helps in the supervision now. He just likes to ignore Nala's attempts to be independent at least during eating and drinking. :D So much fun to watch them interact. Can't wait to be back in the Philippines.
Best regards
Pinoy51