Please welcome Leo and Max

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Please welcome Leo and Max

Post by cherriemater »

Greetings to all our chow chow family. After 13 hours in the car yesterday we have arrived home with two little puppies: Leonidas Charcoalas and Maximus Cinnamus Martin. Oh my heart just aches!!! They're such cutie-poos.

All the pictures from the trip are posted on their Facebook page: Leonidas and Maximus http://www.facebook.com/pages/Leonidas- ... 40?sk=info

All their videos are in the Leo and Max Playlist on my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAFsujr_UPs

Here are some "teaser" pictures though in case you don't go to those sites. Enjoy!
Leo and Joe 11-13-11.jpg
Leo and Joe 11-13-11.jpg (88.24 KiB) Viewed 7640 times
Max and Marti 11-13-11.jpg
Max and Marti 11-13-11.jpg (64.56 KiB) Viewed 7640 times
The New Martin Family 11-13-11.jpg
The New Martin Family 11-13-11.jpg (84.88 KiB) Viewed 7640 times
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Please welcome Leo and Max

Post by cherriemater »

Annnnddd ... since I can only add three atta time, here are s'more:
The New Martin Family2 11-13-11.jpg
The New Martin Family2 11-13-11.jpg (65.36 KiB) Viewed 7638 times
Leo under chair.jpg
Leo under chair.jpg (50.53 KiB) Viewed 7638 times
Relax Max.jpg
Relax Max.jpg (46.42 KiB) Viewed 7638 times
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Welcome home, babies!!!

Your Chows have the coolest names! \:D/ The 2nd picture is my favourite!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

I've had some folks ask how the trip went, so I will give you a summary here. We didn't get to sleep until around 1:30am and got up at 6:00, or rather Joe did. I slept until seven. We left the house at 8:10am (EST) and it was a BEAUTIFUL day!! Actually pretty warm for a November and we were right around that area where the Edmund Fitzgerald sunk, funny enough. The Gales of November WERE blowing fiercly today! Our trip over the Mackinac Bridge was lovely and I always enjoy gazing over the waters to the Island.

We arrived early in Marquette and our breeder said that their roads were sloppy so she suggested we meet in town at the Vistor's Center. During our wait I was curiously calm. Once they arrived, I was in love instantly! Joe cuddled with Max while Leo and I got acquainted. After a quick exchange with the breeder we were off to a local park to wait for Joe's niece, Lexi, to get out of work. We took some nice photos at Presque Isle Park then headed off to the mall. We met her in the back of the parking lot and spent an hour shivering in the wind. But it was so nice to get Lexi to meet her "fluffy cousins," as she calls them. She wanted to take them home but didn't think her dorm would allow it.

We set off just before sunset (5:00pm-ish) and the boys altered between mine and Joe's laps. Both, for some reason, tried to climb over my right shoulder into the back seat, although I can't be sure that's the reason. I wonder if it's because I didn't have time to vacuum out the back seat where Kimba used to sit. I'm sure her smell was back there. All-in-all they traveled VERY well. No pukies, no pee or poos. Yay! I was, however, very concerned over the excessive panting by Leo. His ears stayed back for quite awhile, but calmed as he got used to us. However, his panting was crazy. I don't know if it was that he was too hot or just the stress from traveling. Fortunately, that ended as he got comfortable at home. Max did not exhibit any over-panting, so I glad about that. Max seems to be much more precocious than Leo. I am excited to learn their characters.

They got home and oh, man! They were unsure little pups for a half an hour and we had three accidents but got into a rhythym of grabbing them up and saying, "outside, outside, outside" then placing them on a puppy pad in the garage. All of us were tired out by 11:30pm (the boys enjoyed playing in the garage for an hour) so they obediently went into their crate, together. Layed down without whining. However, by 2:30 I heard some stirring and then with after a whine I said, "Outside?" and they both ran to the back door after I opened the crate and immediately went on a pad. Yay!!!! How cool is that? They did, however, pee on any carpet (rug) that was down (living room, bathroom and kimba-bed in computer room) during their initial inspection of the house, including the puppy pad in the crate so I have taken them all up so they don't confuse a soft surface for a puppy pad and decide to eliminate. This seems to be working. Once they slept in the crate, they did not eliminate. Yay! Joe said that would happen as he had Kimba as a youngster. I'm glad 'cuz I was a bit worried about that.

Today, we took them to the baseball field across the house, and the park, and played for about a hour. Afterward, they slept for about three hours (which is why I am able to write right now. Yes, Sirol, you just may not hear from me as much for a while ... hee hee). When we got home, they had a little to eat, a little to drink and then walked, together, straight to the crate and laid down. How 'bout that! They slept for an hour or so, then joined us in the computer room. Right now, they're chewing on empty toilet rolls and seriously enjoying that!

Thanks to all for your encouragement!! It's helping so much with our adjustments. I am learning lots and am sure I will have many questions to come. Oh, and, here's some pics at and after the park:
At the park.jpg
At the park.jpg (101.47 KiB) Viewed 7635 times
AFTER the park.jpg
AFTER the park.jpg (89.95 KiB) Viewed 7635 times
AFTER the park2.jpg
AFTER the park2.jpg (89.04 KiB) Viewed 7635 times
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Thanks Sarahloo ... they are quickly becoming the loves of my life (so sorry hubby!).
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

cherriemater wrote:Thanks Sarahloo ... they are quickly becoming the loves of my life (so sorry hubby!).
Is Leo a lot smaller than Max or does it just look that way? I see the sock puppets are a success! =D=
Why do you want them to go potty in the garage? It looks very green around your house.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Yes, Leo was 8.6 #'s at his vet appointment on 11/08 and Max was 9.8 #'s. I should measure them while they're sleeping, huh?

The potty in the garage was kinda a fluke. We did grab them up and take them outside but it's much quicker to get them into the garage in mid-pee and we can leave the puppy pad right there without fear of it blowing away (quite windy in our neck of the woods). I read somewhere that if you leave a soiled pad down, they'll go in the same spot, and, sure enough, that's what happened. Of course, as I'm typing this I realize that if we got them outside, they'd go in the same spot in the grass, too. Time to talk to the hubby so we stay consistent.

During our play at the park earlier today, we praised them when they went poo and pee, every time. They certainly want to go outside, but we have to either corrale them or collar them since we don't have a fenced-in yard. So, it's not ideal but it will work during the night time.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

So are you thinking about building a fence? The boys would really enjoy it, I am sure.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

No plans in the works right now because the park across the street is fenced around the ball field, around the basketball court and the playground. Joe is going to rig up a zip line from the back door out 50 feet to the tree at the back of our property. Another good reason to get them used to harnesses instead of collars.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Wow! Congratulations I am SO excited for you! They look like they're making themselves at home just fine. I see you went to Presque Isle? Where did you get these beautiful boys? I went to college right outside of Erie in a small town called Edinboro and used to frequent that park with my friends on the warm days left of the semester :)
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Wow, I know I have said before, but they really are SO stunning. Sounds like they are settling in nicely. You are doing such a good job :) I love them already myself :) lol.
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

They are both so adorable! I'm especially fond of Leo, probably because I have always had blue or black chows myself. Congratulations!

Yvonne

P.S. I am jealous, though! :D
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

@ TyChow ... Presque Isle Park is in Marquette, MI near the Cleveland Cliffs plant. ((Yes, there's an off-loader in the UP, too)). I'm not sure if we're talking about the same place. We were over at Sunset Point. We got the boys from a breeder who lives in Negaunee, just 20 minutes out of town.

@Becki ... thank you so much! I appreciate the comments such much, especially since you're so worried over your lovely Miss Lily. Surgey next friday, right?

@Yvonne ... yes, we especially wanted a blue but she only had the one. Our desire for two brothers was stronger than Max's coloring and now that he's here in my arms in the flesh, I couldn't care less if he was green! They are both darlings and so full of ... dunno yet. But as the days go by, I'm sure I'll find out. :)
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Yup! You're right. There's more than one lol. I didn't realize, oh well! Still neat though.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Oh, puppy breath x2 ....What could be better( okay maybe x3 but let's not push our luck hehe)They are adorable cuddled together..Everyone looks happy ..And Iam happy for you all too..
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Yes surgery is next Friday, thanks for remembering :) just wanna get it over with
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

They look plum tuckered out------ and who could blame them--------but they are now home with Mom and Dad. Being babies, remember that they need to sleep most of the time, you know, in between your hugging and kissing on them. :P

Loha's Dad
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

I think I know what you mean about the color - when I'm ready for another one I'm saying I'm looking for a black one, but the one that I end up with will be the one that chooses me and claims my heart - no matter what color he is (as long as the tongue is blue and he's chow chow!) :D
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Your boys are just adorable. Love those little faces. They are going to have the best life with you both :D

Enjoy every moment and keep the pics coming :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Cute boys, both! Congrats! Now would be a good time to teach the command 'go peepee'. It is so easy, Connie the Pug learned it. Whenever you go outside and they start sniffing for their pee spot, say, 'go peepee'. Then when they squat do the praise thingy. Every time you take them out, do this. Eventually, they make that connection, and when the snow is flying and it is 6 degrees outside, you can get them done faster!

*Connie had learned this command, and one evening, she was too busy playing to do her business. I gave the command, and she immediately squatted and did her business!. I thought that I turned the corner with her, but was corrected, when upon returning to the house she shat in the corner...Pugs, not long on brains, not long on looks...
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Are you not a fan of your pug by any chance Audrey? Lol. :p
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Chows spoil us for any other breed they are generally so clean and easy to house train. I know there are probably exceptions to the rule but normally they will not soil their own area so if you start out with a small area for them and expand it as they see it become theirs they are mostly pretty reliable.

I am intrigued to know why you have a pug Audrey did you fall heir to it :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Congrats on getting them home finally. I know you have been counting the days. They are both adorable, looks like Leo is going to be a cinnamon and Max a blue, they will certainly cause a stir when you take them out together. They seem to be quite attached to each other and that is going to be very good as they grow up.

Sounds like Leo was a bit excited in the car, that was the cause of all the panting. Sometimes they do that when they are really happy, or excited about something. My two will pant excessively sometimes on car rides, usually the first on in the spring, neither one of them usually drools, but that first car ride they sometimes do, it's just because of excitment, nothing to worry about.

Also they will balance each other out a bit as Leo is more precocious as you said, he'll be the risk taker and will scare himself a few times, and Max who is more cautious will be there to help reassure him, and vice versa, Leo will encourage Max not to be too shy. You are going to have so much fun!
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

The boys are sleeping right now after a romp in the tall grass next door for their potty break and my heart is overflowing. They boys bring out just how much I miss Kimba-girl and all the wonderful things she used to do. The boys do many of the same things. Pleasure and pain are an interesting couple. And, when we say one of their names and they look at us in recognition ... what joy!! Our first training word seems to be "come." When they're not too distracted, this will bring them right to us. Joe is also using a hand signal which I have adapted so we'll have both cues.

Having only known them a couple days I can see how precocious Max is ... he's the little investigator. And while I initially thought he had the Alpha tendancies because he seems to tackle Leo more often, I have noticed the Leo doesn't back down and he certainly does know how to pin Max at times. They're close to knowing how to roll each other, which I think is a hoot, but they haven't quite figured out that you have to LIFT after you stick your nose under the others butt. Funny. That being said, Leo will allow you to roll him and will stay and allow tummy rubs, where Max just wriggles out of it. He will allow you to put him on his side, but I have found he HATES being groomed. Of course, it's all so new and I don't want to try too much too soon, but I really do want to get this grooming thing down early.

They met their first persons today. We took them to the park to play and then before heading home we carry them to walk around the block. We said hello to Mr. Lewis who lives behind us and then took them to the Figeroas who live on the block. They have two little girls (Paige, 6 and Anna, 4) who will be coming to meet them soon. They were fine when handed off to be cuddled by the Jamie and Brian (the girls were at school) and Leo kept his ears back the whole time with his head shrunk into his neck. Max laid peacefully in arms. Had we spent more time, I'm sure Leo would have warmed up as he did with Lexi earlier. (That's Joes niece.)

Next was our Town handy-man. The maintenance garage is across the street and Dwayne came over when we told him the boys were home. Interestingly enough, Max, the investigator, was either distracted or scared 'cuz he ran for the tall grass next door, while Leo walked up to meet Dwayne in the driveway. Ears forward and alert, feet close together. He barked once and accepted Dwayne's outreached hand while wagging his tail. Max, once I went and got him and brought him over, sniffed and then went off to play. One of Joe's co-workers rides into work with him so that was another good experience a couple hours later. Tony came in the garage door, surprising the boys. Leo backed off this time, ran down the hall but stopped with Joe's encouragement, while Max barked three times at Tony's outreached hand, ears forward and alert. He did, however, sniff and lick, then walked over to me. I was sitting on the floor to be at their height. Leo came over with Joe's encouragement and did the same, sniffed and licked then took a couple steps and flopped on the floor.

I'm liking all these interactions and am curious for what y'all think. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. Since I'm a newby, it's important to me to learn from your experiences and I grately appreciate your kind words of advice. I hear some snoring from behind my chair so I think I'll take a quick moment for myself to have a bit of a joyful cry, some happy remembrances of Kimba-girl, and maybe a snack while I have a chance. Joe left for work an hour ago so it's just me and the boys for the next 10 hours. Woo hoo!!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

I'm sorry folks, I just couldn't help myself. Took these after their latest frolic in the leaves this evening before the sunset. They are such happy and content little boys. Even after our first "time out" for Max being a little too rough with Leo, they still follow me around the house. Wonder if it will always be such?
Max 111411 600px.jpg
Max 111411 600px.jpg (44.16 KiB) Viewed 7515 times
Leo 111411 600px.jpg
Leo 111411 600px.jpg (32.27 KiB) Viewed 7515 times
BTW ... these pictures were resized for FREE at this site: http://www.shrinkpictures.com/
Using this link I don't have to upload to photobucket first, then resize, which seems to take me awhile. Then I can right-click with my mouse and save them as the smaller size (I chose 600px for the # of pixels). However, after previewing this message, I think I'll start shrinking to 450pxl.

PS ... the boys are sleeping on the floor by my computer chair and they're SNORING!!! So, so cute. I hope y'all aren't tired of me yet.