NEW CHOW OWNER

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

chrissybrook
Rank 0
Rank 0

NEW CHOW OWNER

Post by chrissybrook »

Hi

I'm brand new user to this site, and I must say what a fabulous site it is !!

I live in the UK and have a 6 month old chow called Maya. We have had Maya since she was 9 weeks and she is the most loveliest, friendliest, happy go lucky pup. We have been trying to find other chow chows and their owners to link up with in/around where we live, however, have struggled to find anyone ! Since we have had her, we have not yet come across any other chow chows in our area - seems they are rare around here and as such we attract huge anounts of attention whenever we go out. This site, therefore, is a welcome source to hear other stories/questions/queries specifically aimed at chow chows.

I just wondered how many other people on here are from the UK?

I am now going to attempt to put a pic up of our litle Maya...but I wondered how you get a picture up as a profile pic?

Many thanks

Chrissy and Maya ! :)
Chrissy & Maya

Thank you Siriol for the lovely banner
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: NEW CHOW OWNER

Post by cherriemater »

Welcome!!! We're in Michigan USA ... I've seen a couple UKer's but would hate to say they're close by. That's like asking me if I know anyone who lives in Texas (2000 miles away).

For your avatar, go to this part of the forum: http://forum.chowchow.org/viewforum.php?f=13 There's a topic you should read before you submit and then there's one where you actually send off your pictures. Also, to post your photos or to add a photo to your signature line, you'll need to sign up for Photobucket. This is a free online resource that gives you an "IMG" code so that you can insert photos. Hope that helps!!!

Welcome, welcome, welcome. Can't wait to see pix of Miss Maya!!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
chrissybrook
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chrissybrook »

Hi..thanks for your reply, welcome, and advice ! :) (are you also on facebook?)..very helpful..here goes with trying to post a pic...

This is Maya when we first got her at 9 weeks old :)

This is Maya when she was about 3 months old :)

This is Maya & me, again at just about 4 months old :)

This is Maya now at 6 months :)

..Now just have to sort out the avatar thing :)...Thanks again..look forward to being part of this chow chow community :)
Chrissy & Maya

Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Maya is gorgeous!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Maya's beautiful! Welcome! :)
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Hello and welcome. What a beautiful puppy and growing into a gorgeous girl. There are a few UK members on here. What part of the country are you from? I am in central scotland.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Precious!!! Oh how precious!!!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

OMG, she is a pretty one! Although not in UK (in Ky USA) I am on facebook with plenty of pics of my 'brats' Bella and Chumley. Page is under Karen Denham Ward.
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

I'm from the uk. In Suffolk... where are you from? I am also on Facebook under becki hutton-kinsella.
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
chrissybrook
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chrissybrook »

Hi !!!...thanks for the warm welcome everyone !..it's great to suddenly have contact with other chow owners :)

I am in England in sunny old Eastbourne...have just returned from a couple of days away in Wales where we have been to see lots of other chow chows in a big dog show ( Unfortunately this is how far we have to travel just to see other chows !), but also visited Maya's mummy for the first time since she was 9 weeks old :)

...Look forward to discussions on this site !! :) :)
Chrissy & Maya

chrissybrook
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chrissybrook »

....I forgot to ask..how do you guys make those brilliant banners at the end of your posts ? :)
Chrissy & Maya

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Welcome to the site.
Your little chowling is absolutely beautiful.
We are in the UK too - in Cheshire. We have three chow chows - Mabel who is just turned 11 yrs - her litter sister Milly died two years ago and we also have Matilda and Maisie who are just turned two.
We don't see many chows here on The Island and it is lovely to hear of another one.
Siriol in Scotland has two - Bramble and Izzie and Izzie is Matilda and Maisie's "cousin" - she came from the same breeder. :lol:

We look forward to hearing about your girlie's escapades.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chrissybrook
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chrissybrook »

Hi Judy !

Thank you for the warm welcome. It's so lovely to have contact with other chow owners...and so lovely to read and see pics of all the gorgeous chows on here :)...do you have pics of yours on here?

I look forward to being part of discussions here..and who knows..maybe one day be able to meet some uk owners and their chows (from here) in person some day :D...I have only just recently (weekend just gone) met some other chows and owners, but it took travelling to a show in Wales to make it happen..do you ever go to any shows? :)
Chrissy & Maya

Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Hi Chrissy, are you on Facebook? If so it is a great place for linking up with other UK chow owners. Also try going to local shows and you might meet someone you could dog walk with. You can add me on Fb if you like Siriol Hayler :)
If you would like a banner I can make you one just send me some pics.
chrissybrook
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chrissybrook »

Hi Siriol..thanks for your reply. Yes, I am on f/b and believe me I've tried to locate other uk chow owners, but seemingly with little success :(. I have, however, found one other person from this site (becki Hutton), but would be great to have you as a f/b friend too. I've just tried to do a search for your name on f/b, but nothing's coming up :-/...could you find me? I have two accounts..one specially for my little Maya :D..'maya chow chow' and my own one is ' chrissy brook'.

Re shows, the only local shows are fun and companion shows, and I've been to a few, but not yet seen another chow...so rare round these parts it seems. So, we took it upon ourselves to venture a bit further, the weekend just gone. We went to Wales and stayed in a doggy friendly hotel :) also met up with Maya's mummy and half sister (pics on f/b) and finally we also saw about 30 ish other chows ! chow fest !!..it was great. We thought as we were there that we may aswell enter her into a puppy class, but she wouldn't let the judge look at her mouth :D.. We are planning to next go up to Brackley for a how held by the National Chow Chow club. Should be another good weekend. Do you travel to any shows?

..and..thank you so much for the offer of making me a banner...I will have alook and find some pics to send you...

..btw..your Izzie & Bramble are beautiful !...:)
Chrissy & Maya

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hello Chrissy, No I don't go to any shows.

I do have pictures on here but here are some:-
these two are Matilda and Maisie who are just 2 yrs. old and the next one is my old girl Mabel who is 11 yrs. old.
Matilda and Maisie are litter sisters and we had Mabel's litter sister Milly but she sadly died 2 years ago.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Judy your girls are looking wonderful and dear Mabel is still as gorgeous as ever. You wouldn't know she was 11 years old :D

We go to a few shows. Both my girls have won prizes at Crufts and Izzie recentlygot a first and reserve at the Chow of the Year show which was held in Scotland this year. Keep practicing the standing and looking at teeth. Mine had to let us look at their teeth every night before they got their last treat at bed time. It also helps if you hold their scruff down the side of their neck while the judge opens their mouth as it doesn't pull them out of shape but you have a firm grip and often once they know you have a grip they give in and let the judge open their mouth. Watch to see how others do it and try to go to some ring craft classes. (I never did but I know others who learnt a lot at them).
chrissybrook
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chrissybrook »

Judy..thanks for posting the pics...Matilda, Maisie and Mabel surely are beautiful !...I looked back at the 'memorial' section to read about Milly - so sorry for your loss x

Siriol - wow!..well done for the achievements at Crufts & 'Chow of the Year Show' - thanks for the tips/advice - very helpful :) we have been to some ring craft classes and it has helped with most things, it's just the mouth/teeth that isn't working :D - I guess we just need to keep practicing :)
Chrissy & Maya