Is this a hotspot? Please help!

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Milo & Nicole
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is this a hotspot? Please help!

Post by Milo & Nicole »

Hiy, Milo is my first chow and he's an absolute star!
Recently i've noticed him itching a bit under his chin so had a look to check for any matts etc (there weren't any) but right at the crease of his chin where it folds and goes into his neck is a bright red area that goes from right to left. There's no fur there and in all honesty i'm not sure if there ever was to begin with. He's always been a messy drinker and as he's getting older he seems to drool a fair bit too so as much as we try to keep him dry it is damp there most of the time. Can someone please tell me if this has ever happened before and what to do? I've tried searching in past posts and googling but can't find this specific problem. Is this a hot spot or because of the dampness? I don't whether it would be best to get rid of his 'beard' completely or if that will make the problem worse? Any help will be very appreciated. Thank you in advance!
If you never did you should, these things are fun and fun is good
Auddymay

Re: Is this a hotspot? Please help!

Post by Auddymay »

Yep, it's a hot spot. Dampness can cause them. He will need antibiotics if it is really bad. Search salt water+hotspots. Judy Fox posted a home remedy some time ago. Just don't leave it unattended,they can spread.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

hotspots do form from moisture from their drooling. Nikki just went for a hotspot on her back and the vet told me to watch her chin and keep it dry even if it means bringing out the blowdryer if she will let you. If it hasn't gotten bad Judy's remedy has helped Nikki before but if its infected you need antibiotics .. Also if your chow is really a bad drooler you might want to cut some of the extra fur if shes having a problem just to help keep her dryer. (I hate that recommendation but if needed ?) Also Nikki wears a bib now she is a very bad drooler due to her having had the canine tooth pulled she doesn't shut her mouth right so shes a real mess..I use alittle soap on a wash cloth and just wiped her down and dry her immediately also when she smells. good luck I hope you find a solution for your pup..
mybabysebastian
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mybabysebastian »

I don't claim to be a doctor, but I have had my bouts with hotspots. My Sebastian is prone and I have found that hotspots are chaffed skin i.e. they do NOT require antibiotics UNLESS they have given themselves staph from the constant licking (bacteria from the tongue causes this). To prevent this, you may consider changing the diet. My switch to lamb and rice did loads to eliminate the problem. Also, keep the area dry and you may also treat the area with something like tea-tree oil (any one will do...if you cannot apply topically consider diluting it with water and putting it in a sprayer)). This has saved my baby and me many of heartache, trips to the emergency vet, and lots of pain (mostly on his behalf). It pains me to see my baby hurting, as it does you, I am sure. Good luck, I hope my experience can add to any other suggestions.

Nicole