increase in eating habits

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kaylyn
Rank 0
Rank 0

increase in eating habits

Post by kaylyn »

My aunt and uncle have had their chow, Charley, since they got married 13 years ago. Recently she has been eating a couple bowls of food per day and same for water. She has hip dysplasia or however it is spelled and doesn't move around a whole lot in the day. She even stays inside the cold house throughout most of the day. Nothing has really changed with her daily habits, but I was just curious since she is getting old. Does anyone know why she might be suddenly have such a change?
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

It could be a range of things, from illnesses affecting the endocrine system, boredom, a way to de-stress from possible increasing pain, etc., etc.

A geriatric check-up is in order, if this is new behavior since the last one. Adding excess calories to an inactive dog with hip dysplasia is also going to increase the joint problem. Best wishes...
marla tierney
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by marla tierney »

I have been looking up cushings disease, my dog may have this, symptoms are incressed appitite and thirst, a blood test could rule this out, search cushings in dogs online to get a list of symptoms