HOW DO I GROOM THEM?!?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowchow186
Rank 0
Rank 0

HOW DO I GROOM THEM?!?

Post by chowchow186 »

My chow was diagnosed with "hotspots". I have read that this is due to poor grooming habits. I groom my puppy daily, using a bristle and sliker brush. Are there any specific tools needed or any specific area to look out for? I know that the armpit and ear areas are specific areas to look out for but are there any other things to make a chow a LiOn DoG?
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Hot spots can also be caused by allergies, especially food allergies. Which is why so many on this forum feed solid gold, or other very high quality foods. Purina is a big nono. So is just about anything else very comercial including Iams and eukenuba.

How old is your chow? Also the bristle brushes aren't strong enough to lift that coat and get to all the undercoat. I use a pin brush with rounded tips, (it feels smooth if I run it against my skin), a undercoat rake, a slicker brush (for their faces and paws) a wire comb with two sizes of teeth, and a bristle brush, (again for the face and paws only)

Here's how I groom my chows. With the undercoat rake I comb all the hair in an area backward, stopping frequently to remove the hair that comes out, (not so frequently in the winter or once "the blow" is over), then I do the same with the pin brush. then with the large toothed side of the comb I comb it in the right direction in small sections, like an inch or so. I go over their entire bodies like that, (yes it takes a bit of time) I then use the finer brushes and comb on their faces and their paws. I also have a normal human type very wide toothed comb to do the final comb out on their tails and feathering on their legs.
I've groomed all my chows like this and havn't had to resort to lots of baths and have never had hotspots.

I think the trick is too make sure that air gets to the skin. That way you remove the oil and dirt the better.

Also when you do bathe him, make sure he is dry down to the skin, if you are taking him to a groomer make them get him dry all the way, and make sure all the shampoo is rinsed off him. This is difficult with chows because of how thick their coats really are. It takes me 2-4 hours to bathe, dry and groom each of my two. And I do have a doggie hair drying.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

I have mentioned this before.
I give my two "babies" specially formulated for dogs...FISH OIL caplets. They are very inexpensive. I get mine from Pet Meds

For the 1st few years of his life, JR, got terrible hot spots, especially in the summer. I started giving him the fish oil and he has never had them again.
I started Cheyenne on them when we adopted her in December. When she came home from the Animal Pound she had horrible black crusty spots all over, especially on her back and belly.
Both my "babies" have the most beautiful fur coats and we keep them brushed also about 2x a week.

Sharon