General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Holocaust in Denver

Post by Jeff&Peks »

When did we become a third world country,
Its Pits but if they can go this far Chows are just around the corner.

Pit bull Holocaust in Denver

Disturbing news out of Denver: Despite a celebrated decision to outlaw breed bans in the state of Colorado, Denver has been given the green light to enforce a full breed ban on pit bulls and any dog that resembles a pit bull within county limits.

The news gets worse. As of last Monday, May 9th, all pit bulls in Denver are subject to confiscation and immediate euthanasia. Animal control is performing house to house sweeps and removing them from their families. Pit bull owners who are unable to get their dogs out of the area are being forced to surrender them or face fines and jail time.

This shameful genocide casts a dark cloud on the mile high city. Innocent animals who've done nothing wrong are being targeted and destroyed. Families are losing faithful companions. Many are abandoning dogs at local shelters to avoid the sweeps and some are planning to have their pets put to sleep to spare them from dying in the arms of strangers. We've been receiving desperate emails from families who want their pets saved, but we're unable to do anything but post this notice and ask others to do the same. Like a bad dream, this is playing out right in the middle of America, and no one is willing or able to stop it. News

Irony of ironies, Denver was voted the "Pet Healthiest City in America" by Purina in 2003. Their award was based on the availability of vet care; humane legislation; quality of their animal shelter; air quality; preventative measures; overall obesity/body condition of Denver dogs; and low reports of Lyme disease. Pet Healthy?

Meanwhile, desperate families with no options agonize over final good byes. Low income dog owners have been hit first. We grieve for them and for all the beautiful dogs now dying unnecessary deaths due to human ignorance and the unforgivable folly of breed specific legislation. BSL

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/denver.cfm
Angel Firedancer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Angel Firedancer »

Damn... I've been on the road again and haven't seen many news casts, so I didn't see anything about this at all. Is there any rescue crews going down to pull the pits out of there?
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Dear God in Heaven - what is the world coming to?
:evil:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

My heart is breaking - what is happening with America? Where is the sanity, where is the love for families and their pets? :cry:
Jennifer & Sheena

Post by Guest »

This is info from a post on Petfinder.com message forum same subject:
Good contact info and petition sites.
This IS a travesty!!!!!!

permission to x-post:
Well, here's what I've found in terms of contact info:

There is an oline petition at:
http://www.petitiononline.com
(Seaerch for pit bull ban in denver)

Everyone should, of course, sign it. But I'm not sure how effective those things are.

The mayor of Denver, CO is:

Mayor John H. Hickenlooper
1437 Bannock Street
Suite 350
Denver, Colorado 80202
MileHighMayor@ci.denver.co.us

City Council Administration is:

City Council Administration
1437 Bannock Street
Suite 451
Denver, CO 80202
dencc@ci.denver.co.us

The City Council President is:

Elbra Wedgeworth
3280 Downing Street
Unit C
Denver, CO 80205
elbra.wedgeworth@ci.denver.co.us

The following link below will take you to a list of city council members. It provides their city council email and their home addresses. I would recommend sending snail mail to the home addresses. I will double post this under a new thread (if I can do that) so anyone who is interested can write to these people.

Just telling them we're upset probably won't cut the mustard. Talk about crossing Denver off your vacation plans if you're so moved. (Tourism is probably the only thing powerful enough to battle this level of stupidity.)

http://www.denvergov.org/council_contact_list.asp
Cindy & Kodi

Post by Cindy & Kodi »

dang it, forgot to log in again (and then again). above msg is from Cindy & Kodi
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I keep reading this story thinking I must be missing something but it gets worse everytime I read it.
Its bad enough what they are doing to Pits but can you imagine the police forcing their way into your house and taking your dog no matter what the breed, I'm amazed that people aren't fighting back there's not a chance in hell no matter what law was past that I would allow this, there would be a bigger news story then just a Chow being taken.
This isn't a breed issue its a Human rights issue.
And the waiting list to get into Canada keeps getting longer.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes Jeff - I agree. This is a human rights issue as well as a pets issue. Also, I cannot understand why people are not fighting back. Police would take Milly and Mabel away over our dead bodies and I mean literally we would fight and takes sticks to the police.
That is if the police arrived before we had fled to the Welsh hills to hide out or whatever.
O.K. destroy a dog that is proven to be vicious - that I can cope with - even if that dog were mine. But innocent dogs simply on breed.
This is horrendous and beyond belief.
America needs to take a good look at herself.
However, I am not only badmouthing America - Britain has the potential with the powers that be here!

For God's sake do something America - 'cos what happens over The Pond Tony Blair admires!
Cindy & Kodi

Post by Cindy & Kodi »

More call to action info!

: denverbreedban@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 11:35:02 -0400
Subject: [denverbreedban] Sunday Pit Bull Meeting

Hi Everyone. If you don't already know....there is going to be a meeting this Sunday to get us all together to consolidate our efforts on behalf of our Pits! We have not all of us in Denver gotten together yet and this will help us strategize. Please spread the word to anyone who wants to help! We need all we can get!
Sonya DELETE

11 a.m. Sunday at the Three Dog Tavern at 3390 W. 32nd Avenue in the Highlands area of Denver. Call or e-mail me for directions if you need them!

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/denverbreedban/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
denverbreedban-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

Cindy & Kodi
MybabyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Denver Pit bulls

Post by MybabyBear »

Omg, that is sooooo sad! It's inhumane and unright. I mean, pit bulls do have strikes against them, (I think they are cute), that doesn't give Denver the right to wipe them out of the city. It's so wrong! If anyone wanted to take my Bear, (the Chow), or Homer, (my Norwegian Elk Hound), away from me, they would have to fight my sisters, Homer, and I first. I hope that pit bull owners win this case. GL, I'm there supporting you! Stephanie and Bear

Post by Guest »

i probably shouldn't list my name but if someone came to my home to take my pets away you better believe I'll have all weapons loaded. First they try to take away our 2nd amendment (right to bear arms) and once that is gone they will come in and do what they want. Next thing you know all black people will be arrested because they are more violent. Listen people our guns and pets are first. It goes up the food chain!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Absolutely! That is exactly what I said way back in May - anyone try to take my girls - over my dead body!!
I would fight to the end for them.
This is where owners should take great care that they cannot be blamed. Never let your Chow off the lead where there are other people, don't let children pet them in town, park or wherever unless you are 150% sure they will be safe. Make sure no-body can tease them when they are in their own garden for example!
Then woe betide anybody who threatens them. :twisted:
Pete
Rank 0
Rank 0

How stipid can they get

Post by Pete »

I agree with the rest of you on this subject. If they ever tried to come for my Chow they would be met with lethal force and would only take them over my dead body. :twisted:

What really worries me about this ban is the statement about "anything resembling a pit bull". Who is making this decision? Because lets face it, if you want to take it to extremes a chow resembles a pit bull. After all they both have four legs, a tail and are members of the K-9 family. Is that enough to start rounding up chows :?:

We all need to the those sorry excuses for politicians that we won't tolerate this and that because of their decision we won't be bringing any of our tourist dollars to Denver, and encouraging all of our friends, family and business to do the same
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

pit bulls

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Oh what is our world coming to, first pit bulls and then what next was there not enough grief during the first world war and the second world war against the humans, that the goverments of the world must now declare war against man’s best friend, To those out there that just want to kill,kill,kill, remember that when you reverse the name of GOD you get DOG and it is quite possible that DOG was here on this earth before MAN so just remember that you are not infaliable it may be your children next that the government says must be exterminated. My suggestion is get rid of all the people that hate animals and may we live in a more peaceful world, after all it is the only one we have.
carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

Some Democracy Eh?

Post by dannyoconnor430 »

I am from the UK where the poor dog was banned years ago. Most were destroyed some were kept, but ubder special provisions and not allowed to breed. Some are still found and destroyed. But with regards to your current plight... it is disgusting. The US and Uk have just spent billions of dollars putting on the war in Iraq under the banner of democracy. Some democracy eh were they can introduce laws when they feel like it? If a dog is a bad dog it is down to nature or nurture: bad breeding or bad upbringing. In the UK, we had a newspaper campaign at the time to ban pitbulls and other breeds that were considered dangerous. It makes me sick to think that in the world we live in the rules can be changed without the public being consulted. Its a very sad day when it comes down to this, we dont have guns over here but it would take an army to take my dogs off me for no reason. If somebody turned around and said destroy all Chows, and I know mine are soft, well it doesnt bear thinking about..... :evil:
Jasper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jasper »

:shock:
Last edited by Jasper on Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Sorry to hear about Jasper's attack but how you described pitbulls... well, that's what they say about chows too. My brother has a pit bull and she is the sweetest. Even sweeter and more affectionate than our chows.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

I am so sorry to hear about your Chow's injury by a pitbull and hope he/she is feeling better.

It is my belief that the owners of any breed should be criminally and financially held responsible for any harm done to another due to their carelessness or lack of perception about the behaviors of their pets. All blame should be placed on the owners and not the breed.

All breeds exhibit some facial or physical expression, prior to attack, and it is the responsibility of their owners to be perceptive and know their pet(s). Unfortunately, some people don't spend the necessary time involved to observe their pets in all their behaviors in playing or guarding. I notice in the no-leash parks that owners chat with others instead of watching their pets and sometimes problems occur.

Much health and recovery, both physically and mentally, to your Chow.
Jennifer & Sheena
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I don't think in the 7 years I have had my Chow I haven't heard at least once aday while out on walks the words, Unpredictable, powerful, killer breed, mean, Even gang members with Pits have told me Chows are just born mean and can't be trained to fight on command so they want nothing to do with them (thank god) referring to all Chows.

As for something has to be done about the Pit bulls, If they were to look at the irresponsible owners of any breed the problems would be solved not only with the Pits, Chows and Rotts, but the Chihuahuas, Dalmatians (vicious dogs I just discovered), and poodles would be solved also.

If they were to look into just plain Human stupidity, all problems with all animals, domestic or wild would be solved.

Any animal in the wrong hands can become a lethal weapon so those people should abide by the same laws as owning a gun.
Elaina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Elaina »

I, too, am so saddened by the attack on your Chow. I pray that everything works out for the both of you. Last Saturday while walking in a local park with our Chows, Max-A-Million and Mayahana, a pit bull was released by its owner to attack our babies. My husband and I both saw the man release his pit bull and point towards us. The pit bull headed straight for Mahayana. When I realized what was happening, I tried to get her into the tennis courts we were passing at the time. I could shut her in the courts for her protection, but Mahayana wouldn't budge...she stood her ground, seemingly prepared for what was about to happen. I was so scared. At the last minute Max-A-Million jumped between the pit bull and Maha and went for the dog's throat. He didn't bite the pit, but wouldn't let him touch Maha. This struggle went on for about 30 seconds, with everyone in the park screaming and yelling at the idiot who released the pit. My husband picked up a fallen branch from nearby and started to hit the pit over the head, but Max was in the way, still protecting Maha. Finally the idiot ran over, grabbed his dog by the collar and started screaming for my husband not to kill his dog. This fool proceeded to beat the poor animal, telling him how bad he was. Can you imagine!!!?? He then took his pit away from the area, but not out of the park.

This seemed like a lifetime but it was less than a minute. When we recovered from this ordeal and checked our Chows for injuries (thank goodness they had none), we looked up and found that people in the park were on their cellphones calling for the police. Some were running to where we were to see if we needed help. The police got there rather quickly and begin to question the idiot about what happened. They later told us that the fool told them that Chows were mankillers and he wanted to prove that his pit could whip a Chow on any day. He was arrested on several charges and his pit impounded. They promised to keep us informed on any outcome.

Whenever I read about new breed legislation, it seems that none of it adequately addresses the owners whose training or lack thereof creates the problem of vicious dogs. I know people who own bullys, pits, rottys, and other "so-called vicious" breeds, but their dogs are loved, respectful, trained and just plain good dogs. These people wouldn't dream of teaching their dogs to attack unwarranted.

This has been said on this site before, and now I am repeating it....People, protect your Chows from ignorant people like the owner of this pit. Not only should we protect our pecious Chows, but we must be vigilent with others who may want to do them harm because of their stupidity and lack of truth knowlege of the breed.

I am so thankful that Max saved Maha. These two have been joined at the hip since we brought Maha home two months ago. I don't want to even think about what would have happened had Max not been there. Sorry that this is so long, but I still tremble when I think of what may have been.

Peace and Blessings to all Chows and Chow-lovers!!!
Elaina, Max-A-Million, and Mahayana
Jasper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jasper »

:cry:
Last edited by Jasper on Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe has been around hundreds of Pits and has never had a problem as long as they stay away from her which they usually do but as far as attacking dogs Pekoe has been attacked by German shepherds, Dalmatians, Rotts and a few Poodles, luckily, except for one German shepherd she has been able to end it with just a look and a growl on a few occasions she has had to attack just to save her self but it ended fast with nether getting hurt.
Living in the city and now by the beach we run into nuts and their dogs all the time I think I'm lucky that Pekoe is possessed by some demon or we would have been in real trouble with unleashed dogs and crazy owners. So pits can't take all the blame for attacking unprovoked, Pekoe doesn't even look at another passing dog but still gets attacked.

I never let dogs come close to her when on walks I always place myself between Pekoe and approaching dogs no matter how friendly people say their dogs are, Pekoe just goes on about her sniffing so could careless, I'm the one that has to be on look out all the time.

I'm not defending Pits nor do I even really like them, actually I have always found them to be to timid and submissive for my taste, I would never own one but after all my years with Pekoe at dog parks and walking around town I find all breeds are unpredictable, I don't care how friendly or socialized they are.

Post by Guest »

That's true to a certain extent. Jasper has been attacked by poodles and black labs as well. The difference is the tenaciousness and power of the Pit and the amount of damage that they can do with their powerful locking jaws, and the reckless nature of the immature owners.

Ie: 3 young women (barely out of their teens) had a large unneutered Pit in a crowded urban park, waterfront walkway. Kids, bikes,scooters, dogs on and some off leash, you name it. They had the dog on a long flexi. It took two of them to hold the dog back. It wasn't being vicious, but it was very bossy and nosey. Pulling to whatever or whoever it wan't to see. The girl that was trying to hold him back was slight, the dog probably weighed more that her. We were trying to pass, but the dog was intent on seeing Jasper. I asked her to keep the dog back, she got all defensive and wanted to argue. I told her she should have better control of her dog especially in such a crowded environment. She got in my face and told me I was "discriminating" against her dog, meanwhile her dog was literally dragging her, while she had her heels dug into the pavement. Quite the site. This young person had no clue what her dog could do, and no sense of the danger that she was putting her dog and others in by putting it in this situation.

That's why stricter controls are needed, because some people have no common sense, and are only concerned about their rights, with no concern with how their actions were terrorizing half the people that are coming in contact with. People were grabbing their kids and their dogs, left, right and center. It wasn't fair to everyone else. Especially with Jaspers wounds still fresh, and the memory not yet faded, I found it very disturbing.
Jasper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jasper »

:?
Last edited by Jasper on Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elaina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Elaina »

Even after what happened to our Chows, I still don't think that breed banning legislation is necessary. Where will the legislation stop? With what breed? Who will determine what is a dangerous breed? If we start banning the pit, will the rottys be next?...or other bullys?....or great danes?...or huskys and malamutes?...or (*sigh*) Chows? Where and when will the banning stop? :?:

No dog can be off-lead in the park where our Chows were attacked. Custom dictates that if two agressive dogs are being walked on the same path and are coming towards each other, both owners will leave the path to the right and when you have passed each other, continue on. I have been walking my dogs and Chows in this park for nearly 30 years and we have never suffered an attack on myself or my pets.

Today the majority of attacking pits can be traced from 5 fighting pit bull families that began in Detroit. These families, bred for fighting, have spread throughout the americas and western europe. I don't pretend to have any answers to the dilemma of the pit bull, but I don't believe that a ban will work. Bans have a tendency, in this country (US), to take that very item you're banning underground. When a banned item goes underground, it becomes worse, even deadly (i.e. drugs deemed illegal, alcohol in the 1920s, etc) Yes, young men who are insecure with themselves and their status in life, with no other outlets for their insecurity, maybe responsible for what appears to be an increase in pit bull attacks, but should the mature pit bull lover pay the price by uprooting his/her family and possibly his/her job in order to keep the dog? I don't think this is fair. I also believe that there are more good dog owners, than stupid ones. Lets use our brains to determine a better solution.

Okay, time for someone else to get on the soapbox, I'm getting off now.

Peace and Blessings,
Elaina, Max-A-Million, and Mahayana