Moderator: chowadmin

Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Choke Chain pulling Hair out

Post by Swerve »

Hi All,

Hope everyone is well :D

Winston has been doing well and eyes looking well after his entropian surgery 4 months ago. Anyhow when we walk Winston (not enough) he like to pull and he does respond to the choke chain well, standard collar dosent work as he thinks its a pulling harness :mrgreen:

Anyhow with the choke chain it'spulling his hair out on teh choker part,also starts a small hotspot type part if not carefull. Were thinking of trying a halti to stop him pulling,but we dont walk him enough and its the excitment mainly, after 15minutes of walking he is fine, the 1st 15 minutes is the main problem.

Thanks

Steve
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Choke Chain pulling Hair out

Post by Sarahloo »

You already told us the solution to your problem: walk him more and you can get rid of the choke chain. It's not that hard to make time for an additional walk: cut out an hour of TV, get up an hour early, pull yourself away from the computer, enlist/bribe a significant other/older child to walk him, invite another dog over so that they can tire each other out, ... . Loo, also a young boy, needs at least 2 1/2 hours a day, and I make sure he gets them, even if it means trudging around in the creepy-dark woods around midnight, like it did yesterday! :lol:
JustinEason
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JustinEason »

I use a variation of the choke chain called a jewelers chain or a box chain. It wont pull the hair, you can run it through your own hair and see for yourself. The only places I have seen them is at dog shows, some mom and pop pet stores or what I do amazon.com

here is a link to what I am using on my 66lb Dr. Gonzo
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003I3 ... ss_product
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sue »

never use any form of choke chain on a chow.he should be walked 1 hour in a morning and 1 hour in the evening.before taking him for a walk take him into the back yard and either using toys or running around yourself play with him for 10 minutes this will bring down his energy levels before you go on your walk.sign up to some dog training lessons the trainers will give you advice a good trainer will stop him pulling you in 1 to 2 lessons.
i hope all goes well for you
singsingchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by singsingchow »

My chow pulls also when I walk him seldomly. However, the more frequently I walk him, the less he pulls. And, it doesn't matter what kind of collars, harness, halti, etc. he may have on, when he feels like pulling, he pulls. I agree with the poster who said to walk your chow more frequently and he'll pulls less. That was the solution to my pulling issues.
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

I had same problem with breaking Maggie's hair around her neck and I just received A British style collar and leash all in one. It is a pleasure to use, it is called a Mendota. Here is what they look like. http://www.mendotaproducts.com/sellsheets.pdf I have tried everything else including Ceasars $50 Illusion collar that is difficult to get on when she is anxiously waiting for her walk. I tried the Martingale that she escaped from because it has to be adjusted putting on as well as getting off. The British have always had their act together.
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

There are snap on martingales now, which seem pretty handy. That said, our dogs get walked on their normal flat collars. (rolled leather buckle collar in Aesop's case) We taught him early on to not pull as it's one of the few dog behaviors I can't tolerate.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

We use rolled leather collars on our chows here, and we find them quite fine. They don't do any coat damage at all.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

When the pulling gets bad
When the pulling gets bad it generally , ( actually it's a very clear sign), means you need to go back to basics and train your chow.
There is absolutely no reason for unwanted pulling other than the dog doesn't know how to "heel" properly, just so you know.

Switching and using all kinds of different gadgets only temporarily masks your problem, but doesn't solve it. If it did, then you would not have made the statement you did.

Dogs who cannot walk properly on a lead, need to be trained to do so. It's that simple.

Dog training is a combination of knowledge, but more important, "consistency".
Last edited by Merlin on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Wrong! When they are well trained they don't unless you allow them to.

I train service dogs and that includes chows and sharpei from all walks of life.
Service chows need to be obedient. Often they end up in homes of seniors with walkers, disabled people and people who could never hold them if they decided to pull.

Your chow needs re-training.
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

I don't have to some reading. I suggest you do some reading.

I rescue chows and I've owned chows for over 35 years.
I've titled chows and I've rescued them for over 7 years - I've successfully rehabilitated more than 178 killer chows, tossaway chows and unwanted biter chows from death row.

You just trying to drive home a point to exhonerate your statement - which - is not valid.
A properly trained chow doesn't pull. A poorly trained one does. It doesn't matter that it may have a high prey drive.
The dog learns the difference between working and not working.
Maybe you should plan on coming to my next seminar.
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

35 years means 35 years of failure
Yes, I guess that's why many of them have earned titles... yes, let's just go with that.
The word "cyber troll" is coming to mind, and you're starting to sound very much like someone who was kicked out of here not that long ago.

It's a shame that you've taken an opportunity and ruined it because of your own lack of application towards a concept.
If you enjoy your chows they way they are, fine, but many people wouldn't and won't and shouldn't for that matter.

There are loads of people out there who want to enjoy the breed at a much higher definition of training, and hats off to those that pursue that.
You're just not one of them, that's all. =; that's all you've proven here
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

A well trained chow isn't a robot - and if I have to explain to you why, then I can only suggest when Valerie signs up for her dog training sessions , you take the lead and join her.

I don't have videos, and don't need to.
I run a school, I'm registered with the Canadian Assoc of dog trainers and that's plenty more than you'll ever be able to claim I'm sure.
I'm glad you saw fit to remove your previous absurd comment because I reported it to the administrators.

To the original poster who wanted to know about collars, you may want to try a rolled one.
Some of them are extremely narrow and don't furrow the coat at all. You can normally get in leather, or in nylon. Both are good and do work.
Naturally the leather one tends to be more expensive, but it's much longer lasting as well.
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

oh, let's see ..... on June 11, 2011 you can come see us perform in Toronto , with members of Chow Club of Cda. Bring your camera and your video, oh and bring some squirrels with you too, and take in our show. ( that's if you can ever leave your shack in the swamps) . .... I'll even send you a free ticket smartas*... or should we all call you dumbas* ? Maybe you need to take your 7 chows and crawl back up there in them there hills and stay there with your twisted anti-social psychotic paranoia.

What a waste of bandwidth.
Better Yet ! Adopt!