Don't know what to do... Please help.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

DOHMAN
Rank 0
Rank 0

Don't know what to do... Please help.

Post by DOHMAN »

So for the past couple weeks allie has been itching like crazy and chewing on all her legs. Now it has gotten to the point where she almost has no hair on her legs and she just scratches all day long.

We did find fleas on her so we purchased some flea shampoo and gave her a couple baths with it. It got progressivly worse, we have tried everything from spraying the yard, the baths, flea spray, a flea collar, front line plus and a special pill the vet gave us that is supposted to kill fleas instanly. But as I type this email I am watching her bite herself bloody and I just do not know what to do.

Has anyone had these problems with their chow? I feel so bad for her and do not know what to do. The vet just told us to give her the frontline and the pill.
Auddymay

Re: Don't know what to do... Please help.

Post by Auddymay »

It is probably raging hotspots, or even a secondary skin infection. Take her to the vet for treatment. Likely a cortisone shot and antibiotics. We have been having skin issues with Lily that are lingering because I cannot afford my vet. Lily is going back this week for further evaluation. The longer you wait the harder it is to fix, so get cracking.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

It could also be a fungal infection. The vet can do a strip analysis on one of her bald spots. If it is fungal, they will prescribe you a shampoo where you will have to bath Allie twice a week for a period of time. It costs around $15.00.

Has she had a change in treats the past couple of weeks? If she is itching, hot spotting and licking herself bald along with the fleas, a change in treats could also be the culprit.

If you like, you can try a home remedy distilled vinegar rinse on the area affected. To a gallon of salty warm water, add a tablespoon of distilled vinegar. Add more warm water if the stuff smells too vinegary or tastes too salty. If it is too salty it will sting and hurt her. You can apply it on her skin by using a wash cloth or if she is really good with water, bathe her first, then pour the solution directly on her legs and massage it in.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

in addition to what others have said and to what you are already doing...

For short term, I have given a Benedryl tablet (25 mg) to help take the edge off.
It will help the itching, help to stop scratching long enough for some healing to
take place. Also, it will aid sleeping. And, when one is miserable, sleep
is welcomed.
I do not exceed two Benedryl per day.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

I have the same problem with Maggie. Even went so far as taking her to the Universty of Georgia vet hospital where they did an evaluation. 1 year student vet found fleas and eggs on her whereas my regular vet did not. My regular vet did skin scrapes, ringworm test and all the baloney without finding fleas.They gave me a prescription for Comfortis and I'm in the midst of changing vets where the new vet has her on prednosone and the itching has ceased. Hopefully using the prednosone just long enough to get the hair growing back again. It has been a real hassle and the vet bills are killing me.But you know when you love them you'll do anything to get them relief. I'm only on the second day of the prednosone and she is peacefully sleeping without scratching, it has ceased 95%, thank God. She is black and I never saw a flea on her or in the house but they sure had them in a vial for me to see. Gotta use a flea comb to catch them.
LUV_a_CHOW_PUP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LUV_a_CHOW_PUP »

It could also be Excema..see your Vet for recommendations on what to do..I hope everything is better soon!
SoonLee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SoonLee »

My last Chow had seasonal allergies (spring and fall - moldy leaves and such)- Benedryl tablets helped.
Missystone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Missystone »

have bloodwork done.
Jasmine was in awful shape, turned out she is severly allergic to fleas. So i have her on advantix, and i have to keep an eye on her. She lost most of her hair from the shoulders down. She looked pathetic.
After bloodwork we found she was low on thyroid, so she was put on medication, within 3 months of changing her food to lamb, the medications and flea control, she is back to being a full blown chow!

Good luck
I know we hate to see our babies uncomfortable and miseralbe.

missy
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

You might also want to try feeding them a bit of garlic with meals. They love it, it won't hurt them, and it's a natural flee repellent, (mosquitoes don't seem to like it much either), just chop or press some over their regular food, they'll eat it right up. Also watch for overfeeding other food, and reduce the intake of corn products in their regular food, (if you can no corn at all is best, and no wheat as well) a lot of the older chows on here have been switched to foods like Nutra and Solid Gold formulas or home made and that has cleared many skin conditions right up.

Remember fleas are parasites and parasite infestations occur the most when the imune system is somewhat comprimised. Mild allergies to food, or foods that are not good for the body in many ways, (corn) allow parasites to atack.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
rougedriner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rougedriner »

My Bear has had some allergy problems in the past. She is allergic to certain types of grass.