General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Luna's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow Chows & Licorice

Post by Luna's Mom »

I read posts about feeding Chow Chows licorice and thought I would share this:
The two things I have been consistantly crazy about in my life are Chows and good licorice. When I say licorice, that red twizler stuff doesn't apply. My husband calls me a licorice "snob" and he shudders when he sees me eat it. I seek out and only buy the all-natural stuff (Panda is a good brand from health-food stores).
I have had many Chows over the years, and never had one that didn't beg for licorice. After nearly losing my Luna to another health issue, I decided I'd better research what foods or treats I give her, just because she likes them. I found an incredible and in-depth site about all kinds of things dogs cannot have - and licorice (natural black variety) was not among them; in fact, the site said it was good for dogs, in moderation, of course. But, thanks to the internet, poor Luna is forever cut off of mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, avocados, grapes (extremely lethal and raisins likewise). Quality licorice was on the GOOD list. Can't remember exactly where I found the site ( there are several). Just use search terms like "People foods bad for dogs". If I find the site again, I will post a link here.
Teee heee, when small children see me give my Luna a licorice treat, I tell them, "This is why her tongue is black."
Auddymay

Re: Chow Chows & Licorice

Post by Auddymay »

That's cute. I can see you BOTH going around town with your licorice tongues.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Hi and welcome to chow chow land. I have to say liquorice is not a favourite of mine so I had never tried Bramble with it but just to see I offered a bit of hubby's liquorice. It went down very nicely but I now have a very blue tonged green teethed chow :mrgreen:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Real, and totally black licorice is THE greatest thing ever!!!! Yes, Nat things I'm insane as well about this. Yet after all these years she still looks for it for me. ;)

Haven't thought of getting the chows addicted to it, hhhmmmmmmmmm.....
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

That have been my post, lol. Brian gave Carter a bite of his Twizzlers one day and he went nuts! He climbed all over us on the couch wanting more. This thread just reminded him to get more for him and Carter lol.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
Luna's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Luna's Mom »

Sorry, this thread got a little confused. I truly mean only the most natural of licorice; ingredients on the label should read: "molasses, wheat flour, natural licorice extract, and natural flavor made from anise seed oil". I got to feeling guilty that a lot of folks might run to the grocery store or Wally World and bring home bad stuff and give it to their Chowdren. Please oh please, NO. There is no natural licorice made in the U.S.. Finland and England, I think, still make the pure good stuff. And never treat any animal (or human, for that matter) with a whole bag of anything ! When I share with Luna, I bite 3/4 of the 1- inch piece, and she gets the little 1/4" piece. That only happens, maybe twice a week, and sometimes we have none for months. Natural licorice aids the digestion, is a natural anti-inflamitory, is rich in anti-oxidants, is good for the respiratory system. In humans, too much can cause potassium/sodium imbalances, raised blood pressure and renal problems. Just as too much sugar, chocolate, soda and grease can cause diabetes, blindness, renal failure and on, and on. I would never eat more than 4, 1-inch pieces, as it tastes so strong, you don't need much. One good thing - it makes cigarettes taste aweful !