help chow chow mix isnt eating food

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

nelson712
Rank 0
Rank 0

help chow chow mix isnt eating food

Post by nelson712 »

okay so a couple days ago my chow chow/ German Shepherd mated with my friends dog also a chow chow/German Shepherd mix they mated 3 times in 1 week but after my friend has to leave with his dog my dog his name is oso for bear in spanish goes crazy he goes everywhere looking for his parntner, and he gets really happy when my friend dog is over at my house but his not eating his dog food only human food, he wont eat any dog food not even his treats could this be because he misses my friends dog or is sad???? please help i love my dog alot even though he is a little aggressive i still take time to take him out, play with him and everything i just dont wanna lose him, i have trained him pretty good he just needs to get a little more socialized his 1 year old and so is the other dog :( :(
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: help chow chow mix isnt eating food

Post by Sirchow »

Your dog may have hurt his "boy bits" or strained something and just needs to rest a bit. He could have picked up a urinary tract infection and if he has any trouble passing urine or is going often and is drinking a lot of water he may need to visit the vet for an antibiotic. He could be tired or missing his friend and feeling a bit lonely if his mate has been staying for a week. If he is not eating soon I would suggest a vet visit would be best as mating can be quite rough and he may be hurt somewhere.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
nelson712
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nelson712 »

Sirchow wrote:Your dog may have hurt his "boy bits" or strained something and just needs to rest a bit. He could have picked up a urinary tract infection and if he has any trouble passing urine or is going often and is drinking a lot of water he may need to visit the vet for an antibiotic. He could be tired or missing his friend and feeling a bit lonely if his mate has been staying for a week. If he is not eating soon I would suggest a vet visit would be best as mating can be quite rough and he may be hurt somewhere.
well i took him out today and he pied okay and he only drinks water when i have to give him some human food to eat or when i play with him then he'll drink water, there more symptoms for urinary tract infection?? if u know can u please let me know, i think he is because last week he was eating okay now he aint since they mated i think he does feel lonely he doesnt really wanna play that much no more and just lies there or sleeps, poor guy im ask my friend to bring his dog again lets see wat happens then, he gets really happy he even whins when he sees her coming, okay then how long should i wait to take him to the vet, i just want him to start eating his dog food its healthy for him and human food could give him worms and a twisted stomach thanks for your advice if he dont eat soon then i will take him to the vet :( i already lost a dog before it was a little chihuahua only 3 months old and he died cause he had low temp.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I would take him to the vet now, and don't feed him any more human food or treats until he's back on his regular food.

Oh and a year old is actually too young to breed a male, they should be 18 months or older. At a year he's still doing a LOT of growing and this also can cause problems if he's bred too young.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

If Oso is not drinking properly then I would get him to the vet like Victory said. Let us know how you get on.
nelson712
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nelson712 »

okay then i will :cry: ic well i checked his pee earlire and theres no blood in it or nothing but he does drink water thats about it he wont eat nothing else.well can it be that he dont like his food nomore and i have to change it up to a new one i feed him purina dog chow
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I believe a hungry dog will eat! I wouldn't recommend you change his food now as he looks troubled already and a quick change of food could hurt his tummy. If he's not hungry, my guess is he's missing his fiancee, I wouldn't be surprised that after mating 3 times (!) in a week, Oso doesn't think about eating. Let us know what the vet told you and good luck :D !
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
nelson712
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nelson712 »

ok then i took him to the vet and he couldnt find nothing wrong with, not in his privates, in his mouth or nothing he thinks he might be depressed and lonely and missed his partner he said that if we put them together to make sure they dont mate, poor guy i never knew he was gonna be this sad thanks to everyone who told wat to do
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Thats kind of sad. Perhaps if his friend doesn't live too far away you could walk them together so he can see her without getting too friendly!! Maybe you just gotta get another chow. :lol: Only best make sure you don't have puppies.
nelson712
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nelson712 »

Sirchow wrote:Thats kind of sad. Perhaps if his friend doesn't live too far away you could walk them together so he can see her without getting too friendly!! Maybe you just gotta get another chow. :lol: Only best make sure you don't have puppies.
yeah it is, she dont and i will today, maybe , can my friends dog become pregant since they mated??? :) thanks god his okay and nothing is wrong with him
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

If your friend's dog was in season when they mated - and it sounds like she was, then after three matings, I would think that probably she will be in pup! :shock:
It is very unusual for a dog and a bitch to mate if the bitch is not in season.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
nelson712
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nelson712 »

Judy Fox wrote:If your friend's dog was in season when they mated - and it sounds like she was, then after three matings, I would think that probably she will be in pup! :shock:
It is very unusual for a dog and a bitch to mate if the bitch is not in season.
yeah she was ok then im keep one a boy so oso wont be lonely in cause i got to college or when i work.ic thanks
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

I'm pretty sure from what I've read that what you are describing is quite normal for dogs who are around or even just smell a dog in season. They can get quite crazy, break thru fences, run away. . .they can smell that for miles. I read they will often not eat during this time. You should know that dogs can mate thru fences and things like crates. If you attempted to put him with her while in season again, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to control him.

Also, you might want to think about his aggression issues and if he's really suitable for mating at all. Don't forget, aggression in chows is something that is causing breed bans and discrimination already.

Hope this was helpful

Lori
nelson712
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nelson712 »

willowchow wrote:I'm pretty sure from what I've read that what you are describing is quite normal for dogs who are around or even just smell a dog in season. They can get quite crazy, break thru fences, run away. . .they can smell that for miles. I read they will often not eat during this time. You should know that dogs can mate thru fences and things like crates. If you attempted to put him with her while in season again, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to control him.

Also, you might want to think about his aggression issues and if he's really suitable for mating at all. Don't forget, aggression in chows is something that is causing breed bans and discrimination already.

Hope this was helpful

Lori
ic now i know thanks for this info it means alot to me now, okay then i learned my lesson dont let them mate again. ic oso is preety aggressive towards, strangers, and people he dont know , okay then. where are they causing bans at??? true to discrimination people have told me to watch him at all times when i take him outside and have him on a harness and have my hand on the leash at all times, they say his beautifull but wat they dont know is that he might bite them.okay but ive heard something for all dogs that if u show them fear they'll attack and if u dont show fear they will like you is that true??? that has happened before to me my friends dog was aggressive and he told me not to show fear when he brings him out and i didnt then he started to let me pet him and even licked me :D
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

nelson712 wrote:
willowchow wrote:I'm pretty sure from what I've read that what you are describing is quite normal for dogs who are around or even just smell a dog in season. They can get quite crazy, break thru fences, run away. . .they can smell that for miles. I read they will often not eat during this time. You should know that dogs can mate thru fences and things like crates. If you attempted to put him with her while in season again, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to control him.

Hope this was helpful

Lori
ic now i know thanks for this info it means alot to me now, okay then i learned my lesson dont let them mate again. ic oso is preety aggressive towards, strangers, and people he dont know , okay then. where are they causing bans at??? true to discrimination people have told me to watch him at all times when i take him outside and have him on a harness and have my hand on the leash at all times, they say his beautifull but wat they dont know is that he might bite them.okay but ive heard something for all dogs that if u show them fear they'll attack and if u dont show fear they will like you is that true??? that has happened before to me my friends dog was aggressive and he told me not to show fear when he brings him out and i didnt then he started to let me pet him and even licked me :D
First what is your location? Your writing style and your question about bans seems to indicate that you outside the US, which is fine. Knowing would help us help you though.

Second I hope your friend with the female chow/german shepard mix knows that she is most likely pregnant and need extra special care, also many chow females have a VERY difficult time giving birth, sometimes they even die; if she is more chowlike she will really need to be seen by a vet and monitored closely.

Also why was the mating allowed? Did your friend want puppies? Or did the two of you think that mating was necessary for the two dogs to form a bond? It's not, many of us on this site and other sites have neutered/spayed dogs, multiples of two or more and they all bond well without mating. Dogs don't need to mate to bond with each other.

Third and most important, Oso is a mix of two breeds that have bite tendencies, both chows and german shepards have aggressive issues, they need good training and strong leadership to be good. A chow will bite from fear and insecurity, german shepards also. Please go to the training portion of this site and read about bite inhibition, and other training. Oso will be much happier with good training. A well trained dog who has good leadership from his/her human is much more secure, happy and healthy. A poorly trained dog who is always nervous and defensive is insecure because they don't know who to trust, unhappy because they feel like they have to protect themselves all the time, both of which add a great amount of stress to their lives which makes them unhealthy.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
nelson712
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nelson712 »

i live here in the us sioux city, Iowa i just didn't really know now there banning this beautiful breed makes me sad ,over here there a pit bull ban already and there a vicious dog ordinance which means if a dog bites someone and animal control says its vicious they get euthanize in 30 days unless u appeal, that has happened last month, a yellow lab bite someone well it was playing outside with some kids, a great Dane and a pit bull are also in the mix. okay then ill tell him his dog is more German Shepherd then chow chow ,ok thanks hope everything goes alright for her. yeah he did want puppies and i wanted them too to bond and they did they love each other when he brings her over they just play around and there both happy.okay then thanks this is really useful information, i tired getting my dog neutered but he was aggressive toward the vet so the vet couldnt do it. yes i do now that for sure both of them are in the top 10 most aggressive breeds. okay then so i question i want him to stop barking at people that pass by and our neighborhood what can i do so he don't bark no more??? okay then i will im try to train him really good his biten a couple of my friends but they weren't to serious just like a scar that it cause i got in the way.ic but my dog actually listens to me and when i give him commands he'll listen, for ex, when i tell him to seat, and stay, i say NO to him to stop barking, to come inside when his done with his bathroom break.thanks alot i appreciate it alot.