Chows and Autism

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chewiesmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chows and Autism

Post by chewiesmom »

This may sound a bit strange to people not familiar with the disorder of Autism,
but I think Chow Chows appeal to Autistic people. Both of my children are Autistic
and I, myself, have mild Autistic traits. Our personalities tend to "match" that of
the Chow breed. Is anyone here Autistic (or maybe has Autistic children) and owns
a Chow? If so, do you find this to be true of you/your family?

Thanks! :)
Auddymay

Re: Chows and Autism

Post by Auddymay »

We have one other member here that I know has an adult autistic son who relates to the Chow in the house more so than the other dogs. You may be on to something. The nuance of Chow love is a good match.

When little children want to pet Lily, I explain things in terms they can relate to themselves. I tell them Lily is just like they are when strangers come up and talk to them because they are cute children. Three and four year olds (especially the shyer ones) can relate exactly what that feels like. I ask them to stand still and let Lily sniff them, and to then just put their hand out, but not toward Lily. Without fail, they follow my 'rules', and almost always get a purple kiss out of it, and sometimes, they can pet her as well.
chewiesmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chewiesmom »

Auddymay wrote:We have one other member here that I know has an adult autistic son who relates to the Chow in the house more so than the other dogs. You may be on to something. The nuance of Chow love is a good match.
I really had never thought of this until recently. Seems like some people who relate well to the Chow's aloof personality are themselves somewhat aloof. My autistic son likes being around people, near them, but he doesn't always have to interract with them. He's content just to be there. He doesn't like being interrupted when he's concentrating on something, and he's uncomfortable with hugs unless his sister (or I) is giving them.

Like you do with children and your Chows (explaining how best to present themselves to them), I often have to explain to those unfamiliar with Autism why my children act the way they do and try to help others understand how to relate to them. The Chow/Autism "connection" is really an interesting speculation.

Thanks for replying!! ^^
chewiesmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chewiesmom »

jonathanfsu1 wrote:yes, because chows are autistic...My wife and I have been teaching students with autism for years..

Oh, bless you so much! (For teaching.) :) When my children were first diagnosed, very few people in our area had ever even heard of Autism. (We live in a rural community.) My son is High-Functioning and 19. My daughter has Asperger's and is about to turn 17. People often commend me for having done "such a good job" raising my children...as if it has been a mighty struggle far greater than raising non-Autistic kids. But I have found it to be hardly any struggle at all. I have greatly enjoyed my kids...being with them...sharing their lives; and I feel they have benefited from our closeness. My also having autistic traits (I have Asperger's too, though I have never been officially diagnosed) has made my understanding of the way their minds work much easier. Like Chows, we like being in our own "pack," friendly with others, but happy being to ourselves. :D

I joined this group because I love Chows. I had one years ago and would like to get another someday. My daughter loves all kinds of animals, as I do, but my son is afraid of them. :(
chewiesmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chewiesmom »

jonathanfsu1 wrote:Bless you! I have a special place in my heart for children with disabilities...I do commend my parents for doing a wonderful job given the circumstances...Please tell me more about your wonderful children...take care and thank you so much for sharing with us ...

Do you have Autism/AS also? My parents never knew about Autism when I was growing up. I went through some things as a child that I will always wish would have been different. Now my parents realize what was "wrong" with me, after understanding that my kids have Autism.

My kids are my joy. Both are a lot alike, yet different. :) They don't interact much with each other, but they still show love toward each other in their own ways. My daughter wants a guinea pig for her birthday. My son was worried about that, until we assured him that it would be in a cage most of the time. (He's afraid of animals.)

I'm a dreamer, I guess, but I'm hoping to one day own our own home instead of renting as we do now. Then perhaps I'll be able to get another chow puppy and raise it around my son and get him used to dogs. :)

Thanks for your kindness! :)

[:D]
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

I think most chows may have Asperger's. They love patterns and routine, are sensitive to noises, don't really value social contact outside the family, are regarded as strange by other dogs, and are obessed with certain things: squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, mailmen and walks. They speak differently than other dogs, sighing, grunting, hawhawing. Did I leave anything out?
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Last semester I did a paper on Autism. I wish I would have known about you two, I really could have put together an awesome paper. I went the path of vaccinations but I would have went in another direction with it had I known about you two.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

There is no proof of the connection. Some studies claim the mercury in the vaccinations causes the autism. Its said that the symptoms of murcury poisioning resembles symptoms of autism. Also, its said that a child tends to show signs of autism around the same age that the MMR is given. Some studies say its a coinidence that the signs of autism are noticeable around the same time a child is given the shot. Another thing is that the number of autism cases has grown since the MMR was made mandatory. From what I've read, genes do play a part in it but it's thought that there is more to it than that because of the big rise of autism (its also said that the rise only became noticable because doctors have become more familar with it and are able to diagnose it easier).It was really interesting reading into both sides of it. The more research I did, the more undecided I became as to whether or not I believed the side of mercury in the MMR causing autism or the side that said there is no connection.
chewiesmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chewiesmom »

chow fancier wrote:I think most chows may have Asperger's. They love patterns and routine, are sensitive to noises, don't really value social contact outside the family, are regarded as strange by other dogs, and are obessed with certain things: squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, mailmen and walks. They speak differently than other dogs, sighing, grunting, hawhawing. Did I leave anything out?

:lol: Nope! I think that does it! :lol:
chewiesmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chewiesmom »

jonathanfsu1 wrote:I can see the coincidence of the vaccines, but has there beeen any proof to show the positive correlation?....Having the autistic tendencies I see more of a predispose via the genes..I could be incorrect..please correct me.if so, please explain..thank you! take care..
From my view, I agree that it most likely comes through the genes. In my family, we've been able to trace autism on BOTH sides of my family (my mom's and my dad's). At least one of my mother's aunts had AS and my father's uncle was autistic. They were born at a time when vaccines were not used. (Early 1900s.) They were all farmers, so unless there's a connection to the use of DDT, it seems that autism in our family is genetic.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I have never actually known anyone with autism and know very little about it. My daughter started babysitting a 4 year old boy that seemed autistic which is what lead me to pick autism for my research paper. While doing the research, I started finding all this about the vaccination possibly being one reason for the rise of autism. The studies all agree that genes play a part in autism, but the concern was why did the number of cases skyrocket, which happened around the same time the MMR vaccination became available. There is no solid proof, just unproven theories.
chewiesmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chewiesmom »

sweetpea wrote:I have never actually known anyone with autism and know very little about it. My daughter started babysitting a 4 year old boy that seemed autistic which is what lead me to pick autism for my research paper. While doing the research, I started finding all this about the vaccination possibly being one reason for the rise of autism. The studies all agree that genes play a part in autism, but the concern was why did the number of cases skyrocket, which happened around the same time the MMR vaccination became available. There is no solid proof, just unproven theories.

Perhaps the MMR compounded the symptoms...? :? I've never studied it all and don't know. But there are several in my own family with autism. I believe the number of cases just *seemed* to skyrocket. I think the number of cases is probably about the same...it's just that the social stigma attached to disabilities changed. Years ago, it was viewed as a great shame to have a "different" child. Kids were kept hidden away at home if they were "bad off." Those who were able to be out in society were teased and picked on and taken advantage of. Autistic people were termed as "retarded," "slow," or "idiots." (Check out some old census reports...there's even a column to check for that!) With the push for equality and individual's rights, parents began demanding that their "different" children be tested and accepted within society, and I think this led to the spike in the number of cases discovered. Just my two cents... :)
ellen3539
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ellen3539 »

chewiesmom wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:17 am This may sound a bit strange to people not familiar with the disorder of Autism,
but I think Chow Chows appeal to Autistic people. Both of my children are Autistic
and I, myself, have mild Autistic traits. Our personalities tend to "match" that of
the Chow breed. Do you a behavioural therapist like https://butterfish.com.au/ can help?

Is anyone here Autistic (or maybe has Autistic children) and owns
a Chow? If so, do you find this to be true of you/your family?

Thanks! :)
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and observations. It's wonderful that you've found a connection between the Chow Chow breed and the preferences and personalities of your family, especially considering Autism traits.

Autism is a spectrum with a wide range of traits and characteristics, and individuals on the spectrum often have unique interests and connections. Finding a pet that resonates with one's personality and preferences can be a truly special and meaningful experience.
DashiDashJason
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DashiDashJason »

Wow! What an enlightening thread haha