My Dad is gonna get rid of my chow chow...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

BritandMoe
Rank 0
Rank 0

My Dad is gonna get rid of my chow chow...

Post by BritandMoe »

So...we have a seven month year old chow named Moe. We've had him for a week now and he's really fond of everyone in the house, espcially me and my mom because we're always at home. But when my dad comes home, and he works two jobs so he's not home a lot, Moe growls a lot. And my dad tried to pet him and Moe jumped to bite him. Now my dad is gonna get rid of moe. Moe's nice to strangers.
Any tips to save my puppy?
Maybe there are ways i could make him like my dad more/
are we doing something wrong?
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: My Dad is gonna get rid of my chow chow...

Post by Dogdad »

I am so sorry to hear this, Have your mom talk to your dad, When your dad is home make sure you take Mo to him and let Moe meet your dad and realize he isn't a threat. You can also tell your father that Moe was protecting you and that once he realizes that dad is part of the family, Moe should be ok with him

good luck and keep us posted
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I agree with what David said.....have your Mom talk to your Dad.
My two Chow girls bark at my husband everyday when he comes home from work. My husband has to let them smell him and figure out "OH ITS JUST YOU" because they too are protecting us and our home. Both my Chows go into an almost embarrassed tail wag.....like OH I'M SORRY :oops: If your Dad came in the door and reached for your Chow before he realized it was your Dad he may still have been in protecting his house and home. You said your Dad is gone alot. Also Chows have poor vision so reaching to pet, say on top of the head or from the side can startle them especially if they don't know he isn't a stranger trying to break in. I'm sure the others will have some good advice on how to get Moe to figure out that Dad is also part of the family.

Thanks Sweetpea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I agree with what the others have said.

Also, perhaps when you have taken him to see your Dad and your Dad has said hello to him, maybe it might be better if you Dad ignores him for a little while and waits to Moe to approach him.

Also, remind your Dad that Moe cannot see him from the side and from behind like other dogs can. It is because of the placement of his eyes so he might be startled if your Dad approaches him from behind. If your Dad is coming up behind Moe, ask him to speak to Moe in order to let him know he is there.

Also some chows do not like being stroked on their heads. My Mabel doesn't - but her sister Milly is ok with that. Perhaps if you could persuade your Dad to sit down and invite Moe over and let him sniff his hand then perhaps scratch him under his chin and rub his front legs. They like that.

Good luck. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

What the others have said is right, I'd like to add a bit. Your dad isn't home a lot and but you and your mom are, Moe is bonding with you and your mom but doesn't know/recognize your dad as being a part of the family. If you dad has the time, let him take over feeding at least once a day. Also giving treats, also tell your dad not to stand over Moe, or try to reach and touch the top of his head, many, many chows don't like that, always, always approach from the front and down by their noses, they like that better. Also men have low voices and can sound a bit like a growl to a dog, have your dad use some baby talk, (I know it's silly but it will help) The most important thing is for your dad to let Moe make some of the decisions about approaching, if your dad is feeding and giving treats, which Moe should always take nicely, soon Moe will see your dad as part of the pack, the leader in fact and it will be okay. It can take weeks to months for a chow to warm up to their new family, I'd say Moe is doing excellently if he's accepting you and your mom this well this soon. He needs time. Also at his age he may have had some very negitive experiences with men, some men like to try and force a chow to act like "dogs" chows are too independent for that and often will become resentful of men because of it. Have your dad try a few of the things above and I think they will work.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Give your dad tasty snacks like pieces of chicken, etc. when he gets home. The Chow will quickly start to like him and realize he's not a threat and you don't have to get rid of him. He'll turn around. He's only being protective.

Good Luck,
Gene.
Gene
Deavister
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deavister »

I had a similar problem with my dog Coco and my wife. The only thing that worked for us was to leave the dog home alone with her. Then I put a muzzle on him and had my wife boss him around all day. Things like having him move out of her way when she was walking through a door way or moving him off the couch so she could sit etc... It was a desperate move but let him know he was not the alpha to my wife. After this experiment we had no more issues of this type with my wife. Good luck
DOHMAN
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DOHMAN »

Has he tried any treats.. It may help if you keep some by the front door of her favorite type so when he comes in he can act like he is the man of the house and give her a treat for greeting him.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

any tips
yes, TRAIN your puppy. Sign up for puppy school and start his education.

Your puppy shouldn't be making decisions as to who he should guard or not. That's YOUR job, or your Mom's job as leader. Now right your puppy is taking over that role in your house and that is a bad thing.

Don't feed your dog supper and when your dad comes in , get him to feed some treats to your chow, that way your chow will look forward to seeing your dad come home. After the treat seassion, THEN give the dog his supper.

Best of luck
MM
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

Hope it all works us !!! Talk to your parents ! Your chow is young still......get your baby into some training.
thanks sweetpea
Zilla
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Zilla »

I think what everyone said here is really good advice. Its really important you explain to your dad that a chow is not like other dogs. Its a very special bread. This is why I personally love them so much. But a lot of people are not familar with this bread and don't understand their quirkiness. Chows are a one person or one family dog. They were bread to protect the emperors family so they are protective, standoffish with strangers, and alouf. But never underestimate a chows smartness, they are extremely smart but stubborn. They are independent and very cat like.
A few of my experinces:
My husband, also, is not home as much as me. I work from home so me and the chows are together 24/7-well almost. It took them months before they realized "he's part of the pack". I also have my husband feed them and give them water and walk them. Also, he trains them with treats. I think that has helped, even once a week its still very helpful. If your dad could walk them once a week. Also, when your dad comes home he needs to greet your mom and you first so your puppy understand the order of the pack.
My dad is a big guy and when I bring them to his house they are scared of him. So he lays on the floor with treats in his hand to let them know he is not a threat and lets them eat the treats out of his hand when petting them under their chins (instead of over head). Thats a better place for your dad to pet your chow for now.
Good luck I hope you get to keep your chow puppy.

P.S. I second on the Training and classes this will help soooooooooooooo much and socialize socialize socialize! :)
Zilla