Chows and swimming

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

IliamnasQuest

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Since the topic is active again, I'll add my two cents .. *L*

All of my chows *can* swim, and swim pretty well. But only my youngest enjoys the water. She has no problem going out in the rain, playing in the hose with the shepherd, or even going into the river at times.

Here's a photo of her swimming with Trick, the shepherd, who is retrieving a stick (Kenai River, Alaska).

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Wonderful photo of your Chow swimming! :)

And my Milly and Mabel test the grass with one paw to see how wet it is!! :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
IliamnasQuest

Post by IliamnasQuest »

And my Milly and Mabel test the grass with one paw to see how wet it is!!
Ahhh, my black chow (Dora) is like that. If it's raining - or if it's BEEN raining - I have to go out on the back deck with her and chase her out in the yard to go potty. She will insist she doesn't need to go and I know she's on the verge of bursting.

She's the only one that particular, luckily!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, I have to do that with Milly and Mabel! :)

I have to say, "Get and spend a penny this minute!" then Milly will give me a load of backchat with her "Aaagh!" and "Hummphs!" and snorts and grunts and Mabel will look sheepish and try every which way and how to get behind me and sneak back into the house! :lol:

I told you they are the naughtiest girls in the world! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Moshi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Moshi »

Yeah, Chows clearly see a bursting bladder as a better experience than getting wet. Moshi will do the exact same thing. She nearly goes into hibernation here in Seattle when it rains for days on end. I have to drag her out by the leash to get her to go to the bathroom. Then when the sun comes out she is suddenly full of spunk and wants to stay outside all day and night.
Moshi the Chow Chow
Nick Bellenbaum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nick Bellenbaum »

Quick update on Baxter. He started swimming this week! I've taken him to the local dog park for the past 2 weeks and he has been in the lake wading every time. This past week he decided that he wants to follow all the other dogs into the "deep" part and started to swim!
Nick, Amy & Baxter