My chow is acting up.. what happen?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

baileyscaroline
Rank 0
Rank 0

My chow is acting up.. what happen?

Post by baileyscaroline »

My dog is 5months old chow chow. and she was not really being spoiled. I do take her out sometimes, and let her sit with me in the car. I never let my chow to think she was the master, I feed her milk before she sleep, and her treats when she help me cleans her toilet.

well, today my partner thought she was following me to the market, as she follows me when I walk out from the door, but when I waited in the lift, and call her she didnt came, and I thought she was get in to the house again. but she wasn't, she played around in the apartment corridor, and suddenly she was barking so loud, and thats when my partner find out that my dog wasnt with me but she still outside the door. my partner call me to came back straight away.

everyone was get out from their door and check out what happen in the corridor, and that was my dog, my partner was in shock and call her to came in, but she refuse, beside she went in to other people house.

when she look at my partner while she walks in to my neighbor door, like trying to run away. and she walks like her feet just being hurt, my partner was totally shock and scream, OH MY GOD WHAT HAPPEN TO YOU? WHO HURT YOU?, everyone was looking at my partner you see.
my partner was totally embarrassed, as everyone will think my partner just hit him and left him outside.

so, my partner was trying to get her, and she started to running away, this time with normal foot and our neighbor helping my partner to catch her and bring her inside to our apartment.

I put on her ribbon ties, and talk to her, she was running so happily after i put on her ribbon on her neck. so after 30 mins i left her at the living room, I sat down on my couch and guess what, I don't know how she could get one of my dresses, which is someone ordered from me, and that is a couture wedding gown, that me and my team was making it day and night. of course it was all torn apart when I find it. can you imagine it. the wedding event is on this Friday, and she was looking at me innocently open her mouth so big with her tongue sticking out.

I grab her, and take the newspaper and hit her nose softly, and I went to my kitchen where i find she wasn't pee pee in the right place, I took her cage, and put her inside, and guess what, she acting like her feet is hurt again. and after I scold her, she stop doing that. and walks normally..

sighhh

what happen to her?
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: My chow is acting up.. what happen?

Post by kiwani »

baileyscaroline wrote:My dog is 5months old chow chow....what happen to her?
At that age you have the combination of surging hormones, teething, the rebellious phase of development, and on top of all that, there's probably the added household stress surrounding your couture deadline, possibly not paying as much attention to her, plus she might have possibly injured her paw with a pin.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: My chow is acting up.. what happen?

Post by Victory »

First stop with the milk at night, she doesn't need it at her age, try yogurt or a little cheese if you want to give her a treat.

As for her behavior, well first she's bored, she needs more exercise than she's getting. Chows are really not couch potatoes and the females most especially have a lot of energy that needs and outlet. Chows need a good 30 minute about a 1/2 mile or more walk twice a day every day, and that's just a minimum, you'll find many people here, walk their chows 2-4 miles twice a day. Also one of the reasons you are seeing her attitude change is she's not a puppy any more, she's becoming a teenager and if she's not exercised enough, give good training, she'll be a monster in a few months.

You'll find a lot of training suggestions on here, but one thing people will say, is never ever hit her again, even lightly. You'll only either teach her that her bad behavior has no consequences, (tapping a chow very lightly on the nose with a newspaper won't faze her after she stops being surprised by it, and then you'll be tempted to hit harder and it WILL escalate from there) or that you are an idiot and to be ignored, (yes they can and will think their people are idiots). You need to establish your role as a smart alpha from whom all good things come. No more treats before bed unless she earns them, make her do a sit stay, or something, then give the treat. Make her sit stay at a certain place before you leave the house, (mine have to sit in a place five feet from the door) Always exit or enter the house or any door way before she does, she has to follow. Never allow her to be higher than you are, (she doesn't get in the bed and look down on you). Never step over her or around her, make her get up and move out of your way, these are subtle easy ways to establish your dominance without lifting a finger or your voice to her. But they work because they follow the rules of canine behavior. Also never give a command unless you are willing to wait until it is obeyed, don't say sit, unless you are willing to repeat it until it is obeyed. It may take a while at first but sooner than later she'll figure out that you are more stuborn than she is and that's it's simply easier for her to do what she has to, (and she'll get her reward faster that way too) Don't be surprised if after months or even years of perfect behavior she decides to challenge you again. Chow, (indeed most canines) are oportunistic creatures always looking for a way to climb the pack ladder, and they will test you every now and then.

Welcome to the site and excuse us if some of us giggle at your predictament, welcome to the wonderful world of the Chow.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!