Chow Book

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Chow Book

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I think a lot of you could put together some stories for an amazing book on chows!! Who wouldn't love to read all about the adventures of Milly and Mabel, Pekoe, Khana and the girls, Koda and Molly, Pip and Lily, Chi-Ching, Max-A-Million and Co. The list goes on and on...everyone here has such a nack for storytelling, and I've certainly learned so much from you all! I think it'd be a really popular book and it would sure the rep of our wonderful breed!! :wink:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes it would be lovely.

Susan Heard suggested that about three years ago. WE should think about it and as you say, it would promote the breed of Chow Chow and let people know what Chow Chows are really like.

The stories are really funny - there are also some sad ones like Bing.

Don't forget Pumpkin either! Like Pekoe, she was the Queen of Attitude. And Bubba's Chyno and his New Guy Gwrol. I remember reading Michael's account of his journey to bring Gwrol home - it was so moving. He really wanted another Chow Chow after Chyno died and he searched for nearly a year. Also Monica's account of going to bring Miss Kira home - now that was so funny.

Wonderful, wonderful stories. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Following on from my last post on this subject, I have been thinking about it seriously whilst having a lovely warm bath!
I would really like to take this on and have sort of formulated a plan of attack.
I have a lovely book called "The Weekend Dog Lovers Book" and it is a book of many breeds. There are some true stories of people's dogs, of all breeds, some small anecdotes. Some notes on breed type etc. It is a lovely book to thumb through.
I was thinking that we could do a similar thing only just stories about Chow Chows.
We could have a thumbnail sketch of each Chow so that the reader would know who each one was.
We could have tips on feeding, handling, things to look out for - for example bloat etc. etc. etc.
Kiwani could write several pieces on all the technical and professional information she gives us. These are so useful and the way she puts them so understandable.
We could all submit anecdotes of our Chows - I know I have quite a few M & M stories and I have read so many on this site and also the old site. Reference Miss Lily's current escapades.
I could contact some of the oldies who used to post on the last site. We have not heard about Zena the Piglet warrior or Lisa and her chowlings or the Heard Herd or Kathy and her chows. Michael I hear from now and again. Then there is Jan and Jake in Shropshire here on the Island.

I would really love to tackle this one and I think it would be a worthwhile project to project the image of Chow.

What do you all think?

There are several photographers and graphic designers on the site and I am sure we could make a go of it.

We have Chow Chows from all over the world. I will have to make a comprehensive list of all the Chows we love. A lot of you have Chows who have crossed the Rainbow Bridge to The Happy Hunting Ground. I am sure there are some lovely stories of those Chows that we have not heard. Lou has told us about Zhu and Pooh Bear but I know there are other Chows in her family, past and present.

The List will be long.

What Do you all think? :?:
pannw1267
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pannw1267 »

Judy,
It would certainly be an enormous but rewarding project. As a new member, the information provided on this sight can be as overwhelming as helpful. It's a good thing I'm not too busy at work. :wink: I would even enjoy a book of our chow photos. Or maybe a combination of a short anecdote with picture. I am extremely impressed and just a wee bit jealous of the fantastic and professional looking photos everyone sends in of their chows. I won't trade in Miah but I might look into getting a new camera. :) Good luck whatever you decide.
Patti & Jim, Max & Miah Image
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Judy,
What a great project! I think you would have a very big chapter on the great escapes by all the various Chows past and present.
This would be great for those that want to read about the antics of a family Chow.
Karen, Shiloh, and Mr. N
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

What a great idea - kind of like a "Chicken Soup for the Chow Chow Lover's Soul"! I know I'd buy a copy.
“No one appreciates the special genius of your conversation like a dog does”...Christopher Morley
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I have always said someone should write a book, The common since guide to owning a Chow covering Medical and the everyday living with a Chow. I have also thought a children's book about Chows would be great, I think Judy's book, the adventures of Chows would be a good children's book. or a Children's series of books with a Chow as the main character out and about discovering things and pointing out the safety issue's when dealing with Chows, dogs what ever.out walking the city.

Most of the books concering Chows all deal with the Chow puppy and how to train and raise them, The majority of Chows on here are adopted adult Chows there needs to be a book about the adult Chow. and for those that have adopted an adult Chow but knows nothing about them.

I like the idea of a series of Childrens Chow books.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Judy Fox wrote:I would really like to take this on and have sort of formulated a plan of attack.
Cool! Once I finish my 3rd MT this week (Judy, you know what I'm refering to), I will forward you a complilation of YOUR best stories that you posted on the old site. I saved them because I was going to write YOU a book (funny enough, us chow parents must think somewhat alike, a children's type of book is what I had in mind). Which I still may. But for now, I'll return them to you. I also have the story of the "chow moon" somewhere in my desk top (that's Mr. B and Gwrol's journey home to Tennessee woods). I posted one of Pumpkin's escapes on the community section. I don't remember Baby Kira's story though. And you know how much I LOVE Shiloh's story.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I think a Chow book is a wonderful idea! When my daughter was a little girl, I bought her many, many books by an author/illustrator named Jan Brett. Her artwork is, in a word, stunning. I have often thought I would love to see her rendition of a Chow Chow. Her favorite breed is Corgi's, and being from the Island like Judy, she has illustrated hedgehogs in many of her books! Everytime Judy mentions the hedgies, I think of those drawings.
Last edited by Auddymay on Tue May 23, 2006 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elaina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Elaina »

Judy, Chowfrnd88, I think that this is a project worth pursuing. From the day the little darlings enter our lives, until the day they cross the rainbow to prepare for our crossing, Chows give us such delight. :lol:

Almost everyday, a story or an opinion on this site makes me giggle :) , laugh :lol: , cry :cry: , or pull out my soapbox :roll: . These stories, and even the opinion differences should be cataloged for the world see that the Chow is a most wonderful creature. It would also project our love for this breed.

Hey Chowfrnd88 - Max-A-Million and Co.? I like this. Most of my neighbors call my babies The Chow Chow Crew or The 3Ms...but I like your name better. Thanks! :D :D :D
Peace and Blessings
Elaina, Max-A-Million, Mei-Mei, Mikko and our Queen...Mahayana
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Judy Fox wrote: Lou has told us about Zhu and Pooh Bear but I know there are other Chows in her family, past and present.
Sure, I never told the site about Suntzu's foray into stardom ... having been on a commercial, as well as loosing out on a national print job to a Golden Retriever! And why Sunshine was named Sunshine. How Lao got his battle scare from a butterfly. Kubla and Matsu's walk about in the rain. Additionally, Zhu's audition for a national Milk Bone commercial. I've got plenty of stories.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

I think a book about chows by chow owners would be great. What a good way to represent the breed as it truly is. I say this as I am trying to type on my lap top with my 55-60 pound 8 1/2 month old chow trying to flip the laptop over with his nose, playing. :)
Nancy and Tai

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Right - Ok! :D

Let's do it! :D

1. My email address is FredJudyFox@aol.com

2. Please start sending me stories and or short anecdotes and I will start compiling them into copy.

3. Please, those of you with Chow Chows in the Happy Hunting Ground, send their stories too.

4. I will compile a list of Chows we know - please send me the names of your Chows. Please make sure you you tell me whether they are with you now or at the HHG.

5. I will also need photographs - or somebody will.

6. Does anybody know a publisher. We would want a good quality issue.

I think the idea of a children's book about a Chow Chow would be wonderful. Funny enough, when we first got Milly and Mabel my granddaughter and I used to make up wonderful stories about M & M and Hector (the Schnauzer) and Harry (the black and white cat).
We meant to put the stories into writing and see if we could get them printed. We gave them all human speach and activities. For example, M & M ran a needlework and knitting wool shop, which had a little coffee house attached and the Irish Wolfhound was the village Priest called Fr. Bruno! Harry ran an internet cafe above the shop and Hector was the Head Teacher of the village school. The stray cats helped in the cafe and M & M used to put up their wages and they were very happy cats.

Then Isabelle and her mum moved and Hector and Harry went with them and............... :?:

Anyway, I will get started with this one about Chows.

:D
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

What a fantastic idea! Count me in! By the way, I'm a graphics designer. Unfortunately, I don't have a working computer at home right now.
Nancy very kindly offered to post my photos of Chuy and Magda. So those will be up soon for everyone to see. :D

Tovya
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
Odessa's mum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Odessa's mum »

Hi Judy

My hubby is a graphic desiger, web designer, publishes a couple of travel guides, creates print ads, etc etc and he works from home. I am sure he would love to assist on the project too. I will check with him on publishers and PM you. And of course I will send my favourite and some not so favourite pictures and stories of my Odessa.

Fantastic idea, I love the book already :oops:

Mildred
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Count me in as well!!! There are some great stories on this site that I think the world should know about! 8)
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Mildred,

Thank you so much and I would welcome some guidance from your husband.

I will PM you and let you know how I am thinking of it and perhaps you could put it in front of him for his comments and advice.

I love the book already - there are so many stories, funny, sad, imformative, hilarious, heartbreaking - all showing Chow Chow as he/she really is.

I only have to look at my own two girls who have lived with us for 5 1/2 years - many others on the site have many years experience.

Thank you. :D
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Hi All -

I'm late coming in on this post but what a great idea!

I am an art director of several magazine and have worked on layouts on books as well. I have a super fast Mac packed full with all the design software we could ever need. I would be more than happy to offer up my services to help put this book together.

Basically all it would take to get me involved would be me collecting all the photos from everyone via email or having them mailed to me on disk. I can keep a library of photos for the book. From their I can begin some preliminary layout ideas for the stories, anecdotes etc.

Judy - I would need a little clearer picture on what we are actually going to put together and I can get to work.

How about asking shane to use his beautiful chow painting in the book, on the cover what ever...

I don't have a publisher connection but we will have to find a printer to print intro copies to send to a publisher once it is put together.

And here's the not-so-fun part... the money! We will need to front some money to produce copies to send to a publisher... but I guess we can worry about that when we come to it!

Let me know if you would like me to help! I would love to be a part of it!

Thanks!
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Hurray! Hurray! Oh Judy, thanks for taking on the project!! Can you all imagine how many people will see just what the chow chow is really about!! :D How very special and sweet they are and how they add so much to our lives.

I think both ideas are wonderful--the breed info/anecdotal and a children's book series! Particularly because Jeff is so right, almost all of my chow books only deal with the puppy and then training, that's it... but there's so, so much more that I couldn't even imagine. If I hadn't have come across you guys I'd be doing so much wrong! I can completely picture Milly and Mabel working in a needleshop!!! How fantastic!!

Elaina, I'm so glad you like Max-A-Million and Co.!!! :D :D
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

OMG (as you over the Pond say!! :wink: )

This is coming together.

Mandy - of course you are more welcome to be involved - for crying out loud - you are more experienced than me.!!

Everybody is.

What I envisage is a book with sections - chapters - whatever you like to call them - of different aspects.

For example:-

1. A chapter on Rescue and rescue stories - happy and sad.

2. A chapter on chowlings - with notes on care, stories of chowlings, anecdotes of their puppy games etc. etc.

3. A chapter on adult chows being taken into a home - with notes on how to settle a stressed, sad, chow in together with stories and anecdotes of the chow.

4. A chapter on the "Great Escapes" - there are several of these and I am sure more that we have not heard about yet.

5. A chapter on some serious illness and accidents i.e. Dakota's oncoming blindness, Miss Pooh Bear's cancer, Pekoe's cancer, Gwrol's accident when he seriously hurt his leg and Michael was broken hearted about it, Stephanie's Baby Bear's ageing. Again, I bet my bottom dollar there are many more out there.

6. Chows in serious trouble - I refer back to when Confucious was "put into prison" and his owner was worried to death about how he would cope and how he just came out of prison brushed his paws together as if to say, "Right, what took you so long - can we go home now?!" :lol:

7 Hopefully, a section on ailments, simple, medium and serious - with Kiwani, I hope, putting in her professional knowledge and other loong-standing owners putting in their experience.

8. Then of course, just the simple stories - like for example M & M and the hearing aid, Pumpkin and the cafe table, etc. etc. etc.

The list is not finished of course -

any comments - any suggestions?

This could be a wonderful book.

I had already thouaght of asking Shane about his picture.

I have the book I was talking about and it is called

The Doglover's Week-End Book.

by Eric Parker and A.Croxton Smith

printed in London by Seeley Service & Co Ltd.,

(Long before ISBN nos.)

We could also research chows owned by celebrities or people we have known. For instance, when Fred was a little boy in Chester, the doctor his family used to visit had two chow chows. This was in the days when doctors held their surgeries in the own houses and Fred said those two chows used to fascinate him as they used to sit or lie at the bottom the stairs and not bother about who was sitting in the large hallway, waiting to go in to see the doctor. Also, before we came to Crewe, the local Catholic Priest had a chow who obviously lived with him in the Prebystery - I am sure there is a story there or maybe two.

The possibilities are endless!

So let us get going.

Mandy if you PM me or email me on FredJudyFox@aol.com, I will e/mail you some pictures of Milly and Mabel.

Meantime, any suggestions etc. will be most welcome.

Gosh this is exciting.
:D
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

This is SO exciting! I'm at work, but have been checking in all day so far to see the updates. I can contribute some text to what Judy has outlined when the time comes and I'll definitely pitch in $ for when it comes time to publish.

How fun!!

Purple kisses all around.

PS: Kodi has lots of stories to tell, she just needs a ghost writer as Mom isn't very eloquent with words (too factual, comes from her dull job....) :wink:
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Yay!!
Count me in as well. My primary focus of course would be to talk of Dakotas glaucoma and blindness and to let the word out that blind dogs can have happy & fulfilling lives!! That is what is most important to me.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Absolutely, Roxana - I have already mentioned Dakota's blindness and that is so important that you have proved beyond shadow of a doubt that there is good life, even if your precious girl went blind.

But, please, too - some of Dakota pre-blind stories - they are all so important.

Please give Dakota a hug from me. :D
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

An outline showing chapters and sub-chapters, and how to handle photos (some at each chapter, or a photo section in the middle, or both). Also, a chat room somewhere for 'editor confrencing' would expedite things considerably. I would also suggest assigning someone the job of writing the chapter introductions, followed by individual stories. This wouldn't necessarily have to be one person, and anyone who feels their own words aren't flowery enough to be a good read needn't worry, because it would be proof-read and editted, or modified slightly to convey the writer's intent. Also, as things get started, maybe a separate place for book talk, like Community Discussion, so it doesn't rotate back in this busy 'General" section.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

This idea has really taken off. I love all the ideas everyone is posting.
Someone mentioned famous Chow lovers - I know Martha Stewart is a Chow lady. She has four (Zu-Zu, Paw-Paw, Chin Chin and Empress Wu).
“No one appreciates the special genius of your conversation like a dog does”...Christopher Morley