Someone has turned Rogan's volume down!

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Someone has turned Rogan's volume down!

Post by Rogansmommy »

Yesterday, when I came home from work, Rogan's bark was VERY soft. Not raspy, not gagging/coughing, exactly the same but very soft. :? Like someone had lowered his volume control. It's so weird! Everything else is perfectly normal -- eating, drinking, bodily functions, activity level, attitude -- everything.

The vet can't figure it out either. He has NO desire to anesthetize Rogan and for the life of him does NOT want to attempt to look down his throat. :shock: He thinks it's possible that Rogan strained his vocal chords, but he's never seen anything like this before.

Any ideas?
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

A few months ago, I mentioned that Rogan's mystery bark/cough symptom seemed like a granuloma inflammation (may have included a research excerpt too). Maybe this vocal cord paralysis symptom is related to that first problem. Also, look at the other listed possible causes of 'vocal cord paralysis'. Best wishes.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Well, today, he has greater volume but not full. I'm trying to keep him quiet as I am thinking its a strain and not paralysis. Paralysis wouldn't get better like this, from what I've researched. Keeping a moody 8 1/2 year old male chow quiet is like trying to spit in the wind. :? But he's definitely louder today.
Michele

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh dear - poor love.
Chow chows have such lovely barks too. I love M & M's barks. Mabel's is a bit deeper that Milly so I always know which one is barking. :lol:
I hope it sorts out.xxxxx
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Paralysis wouldn't get better like this, from what I've researched."
---

The paralysis (immobilized cord) can be very mild, and attributed to something like 'acid reflux' or an allergy causing inflammation. He might have just snuffled something : )

Good to hear he's already feeling better.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Poor guy! Special Dark is sending hugs and purple kisses to Rogan!!!

Hang in there!
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Poor Rogan. I sure hope he gets better soon. There is nothing better than hearing that traditional chow "whoof and hrumph".
Get better soon Rogan!
Nancy and Tai

Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Well, he's been all fired up this morning, so everything we gained yesterday is gone. :? He still harumps around, moreso now, because that and the snorting are his main methods of communicating. Today his voice sounds horse and squeaky so I'm going to try and keep him quiet.

Does anyone know of anything I could give him to sooth his throat? I'm thinking of getting some of those doggy ice pops. At the very least, he'd enjoy the snack. :lol:
Michele

kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Does anyone know of anything I could give him to sooth his throat?"
---

You might consider 'Slippery Elm Bark' powder. A spoonful mixed into boiling water makes a slimy mucilage tea, used to soothe an inflamed throat/digestive tract. It has some anti-inflammatory effect. You would put a spoonful of the cooled slippery tea in his cheek pouch, as a liquid lozenge.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

those doggy ice pops

If your talking about 'Frosty Paws', Ralphs has them in the ice cream section towards the end by the ice cream snacks. They are usally mixed in with all the other stuff so are hard to spot. I just bought 2 box's last night.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Yep, Dr. Granny says Slippery Elm Bark tonic is good fer what ails yeh, but it holds no candle to Granny's Special Elixor...lol...sorry, sometimes my wicked humor just takes me! :twisted:
Last edited by Auddymay on Sun May 21, 2006 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

If we are getting into the real hard medications like granny's special eleixor then a bowl of Granny's Possum stew would take care of Rogans ailments and I'm sure Rogan would have no problem going out to get the Possum. Grannies not only a Dr. She is also a Vet with all of Elimays critters around the house.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I'm certain all our fur babies would love a heapin' helpin' of Granny's Possum stew!
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

OMG!!!!! Too funny. In all seriousness, I hope Rogan is getting better.
Nancy and Tai

Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Rogan would gladly volunteer to get the Opossum, but it is about 90 here today, so he isn't willing to go past the back door! (I'm getting the dirty look that says, "Really, I don't NEED to go out right now. I can hold it." :roll: ) Once it gets dark and the temperature drops to a civil degree, I'm sure he'll think it's a great idea!

He's sounding better today. I wasn't able to find the slippery elm bark, but was able to find the Dogsters (doggie flying saucers) at the supermarket. Oatmeal cookies filled with frozen yogurt! YUMMY!!!
Michele