Behavior Problem

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

crazy4chows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Behavior Problem

Post by crazy4chows »

I'm looking for some feedback from anyone who has dealt with and overcome a similar issue to what we're currently experiencing with our older Chow, Maximus. I've had Max since he was 10 weeks old (he's now 8 1/2) and he's always been wonderful with me. I met my husband when Max was almost two and he and Max have had some issues from the beginning. For the most part they've gotten along well but every so often Max will growl at or nip my husband. For example, if he walks past Max while he's sleeping Max might growl at him--not every time, but frequently. Over the past couple of years it's started to escalate and he nipped my husband. The first time it didn't break the skin, just left a bruise. About a year ago, however, Max bit my husband and did break the skin. It wasn't severe enough that he needed stitches, but it still wasn't good. Then about 8 months ago my husband had him outside and stopped to talk to one of our neighbors. In the middle of their coversation, Maximus lifted his head and nipped the neighbor on her hip. It didn't break the skin, just left a red mark as if she had been pinched. Our neighbor brushed it off and said it was "no big deal" and that she knows how Maximus can be. Let me explain what she meant by that comment: I wouldn't say Maximus is agressive, but he's always been a little unpredictable and it's gotten worse as he's gotten older. One day he'll be fine with a stranger petting him and the next day he'll growl if they try to approach him. We've always chalked this up to "Chow Chow" behavior and in recent years we've avoided approaching people when we're out walking him or having him around people he doesn't know. I was never present when these things occured (Max nipping my husband or our neighbor) and I've always thought that because my husband doesn't take a leadership role with him, Max is somewhat out of control when he is with my husband. After the incident with our neighbor we decided that I would be the only one to walk Maximus to avoid any future problems. Last weekend I was walking Max and I stopped to talk to one of our neighbors who was picking up her mail out of the mail box. Again, we've made a habit of not approaching people when we have Maximus out for a walk, but I figured I had him under control so I didn't anticipate having any problems. At the end of our conversation she turned to walk away, and without any warning Max nipped her in the back of the leg. It didn't break the skin but did leave a bruise. I apologized several times explaining that he must have gotten "excited" and brought him back to the house. I went over to her house a few minutes later to apologize again and she told me it was "no big deal." This happening while I was with Max was really an eye opening experience. Looking back I can see that we never dealt properly with his behavior towards my husband and I have to assume that has something to do with how he's acting now. I spoke with our vet who recommended bringing Max in to have some bloodwork done to make sure there aren't any medical explanations for his behavior. I also spoke with several trainers who explained that his behavior is the result of something my husband and I are either doing or not doing (which I agree with) and settled on a company called Bark Busters (anyone used them before?) that was recommended by our vet. They're coming to the house next weekend for our first training session. I was first disheartened because everything I read online said that if your dog bites someone, euthanasia is the only option. I couldn't believe that was the truth, especially because I feel like I haven't tried everything possible to correct the problems. I felt slightly better after talking to the vet and the trainer and hearing that they were in agreement that euthanasia was jumping the gun and that these problems could likely be corrected.

Sorry for the long winded message, but I needed to give you the background on the situation. Now for my question: has anyone dealt with similar issues with their Chow Chows and if so, can you suggest anything other than what I'm already doing to try and correct the problems? We want to do everything we can to give Maximus the best life possible while protecting our liability.

Thanks for taking the time to read my message! :D
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Behavior Problem

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I would take him in for a complete senior screening just to make sure noting is physically wrong, check the eyes also he may be getting some eye issues. 8 1/2 which is really nine is a little late to be calling in a trainer, unless this trainer knows Chow and isn't just a dog trainer at 8 1/2 your going to have some problems, sit, stay and heel isn't going to cut it with an older Chow. Max is hitting the senior years and probably getting alittle grumpy. Pekoe is 13 and has never liked anyone I Just make sure they stay out of snapping distance.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I really don't have much advice, but I do agree with having the vet evaluate his health before anything else. There are just a lot of health problems that can cause inceased aggression. A trainer can be a great tool also, just be very careful with the trainer you go with. Not that a trainer should used physcial corrections with any dog, you definately do not want a trainer that uses physcial corrections with chows. It can increase his aggression instead of fixing the problem. Some one with a background in animal behavior studies is often more beneficial than just a simple trainer.

Also, don't believe the information you see that your only option is having him PTS. There are many, many dogs that have over come aggression issues.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
crazy4chows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by crazy4chows »

Thanks for the replies. No, the trainer doesn't use any type of physical corrections. That was one of the first things I discussed with him since that wouldn't be the right route to take with Chows. He said he'll teach us to "communicate with him in a way that he already understands", so we'll see how that goes. They sound similar to the "Dog Whisperer" in that they work on making owners pack leaders, etc. I figured even if it doesn't help with Max's nipping, it couldn't hurt and is probably something we could still benefit from.

The vet is going to do a full health check on him. He's also in the early stages of arthritis, and we have recently started him on CrondoFlex, so the discomfort from the arthritis combined with old age could be contributing to his increased grouchiness!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I also think going to the vet for a good check-up is a great idea. I haven't had this problem, but I think you are on the right track. A lot of members like the NILIF (nothing in life is free) approach. I think you can do a search on it and get a lot of information about NILIF. I would probably try to avoid getting too close to people right now while walking him just in case. Best of luck to you!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

If he has cataracts he may be fear nipping. A senior check-up does sound in order. Then, barring anything organic, keep your Chow away from people, to start. If he is not socialized now, he never will be. You can change behaviors, but his personality is set, and the best thing you can do is keep him from everyone but the family. And the behaviorist can teach your husband how to get a better response. That will be the easiest thing to change. Let us know what happens, Max sounds like he just wants to be left alone.