Darkwind has artheritis

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Darkwind has artheritis

Post by Victory »

Okay I know I didn't spell that right, but anyway he has it in both elbows. I took him and Firesong to the vet for heartworm tests etc, and asked the vet to look at his right front leg which he's been limping on a little. The vet did some manipulation and Darkwind stiffened and pulled away at one point, so we had some xrays taken, (he's so good they didn't have to anistitise hiim at all) (sorry can't spell today) Anyway, he has mild artheritis in his right elbow and even milder in his left elbow. The vet put him on Cosequin and Rimadyl. I've seen some improvement already, but his tummy isn't too happy.

So anyone have any suggestions about feeding and such, I want to get his liver function a bit better, (bone changes affect this according to the vet) and get his tummy settled. I'm also adding more omega 3 to his diet.

But I'd like to know what else to do for him.

Kiwani?
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about Darkwind :cry: I'm glad it's minor, I hope the meds help and that his tummy gets all better soon. Poor guy.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Zhu had a touch of arthritis too. His vet gave me a handful of Rimadyl for immediate relief and then suggested I try glucosimine/chondrotin supplements and see if it helps. The Rimadyl has a history of being hard on either the kidneys or liver (can't remember right now). If Zhu reverted back to his lameness, then we'd put him back on Rimadyl. The G/C worked well but I remembered a chow mom from the old site (I think it was Roxana) who suggested getting "Sea Jerky". You can order it online or have you local pet store order it for you. It's made with sea cucumber and also has MSM in it. It comes in two flavors Chicken and Beef. I stopped giving Zhu the G/C pills and gave him his daily Sea Jerky - much easer to give... just had to hand it to him and his belly wasn't queezy, or his poop gooey. Have not had to go on the Rimadyl again. So if you want to try an alternative to the meds the vet prescribed to you, I recommend the "Sea Jerky" to try on Darkwind.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Rimadyl"

Being that the arthritis is considered to be mild at this point, and the fact that Rimadyl can have serious side-effects, consider having the dose lowered for now.

Re: "I want to get his liver function a bit better, (bone changes affect this according to the vet)"
---

If you are referring to alkaline phosphatase, look at the big picture too and the other factors which can affect this.

Re: "So anyone have any suggestions about feeding and such"
---

Since inflammation is involved, I would suggest an omega-3 based formula like the Wolf King, or find a formula you prefer with a low animal fat, free-range protein source (venison, bison, salmon etc.) whole grains, vegetable oils higher in the omega-3's. Supplement with some lean proteins, eliminate refined carbs, sugars, and added animal fats (treats) and add some greens.

You are already supplementing with omega-3 fish oil and B-complex, so consider adding one of the 'joint support' supplement blends containing MSM, Yucca and other anti-inflammatory herbs, anti-oxidants, synovi-support blends. Some brands offer pure MSM. The 'sea jerky' type treats containing some of these ingredients often also contain animal fat, wheat, salt, sugar, so read the ingredients list of all supplements. You can also ask your vet about Adequan injections.

All Best Wishes to Darkwind!
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Nina, Rogue and Jake (my father-in-law's male rott) all have arthritis. Jake was on Rimadyl for the longest time with decent results, but he would still get stiff about once a week and he was always favoring one rear leg.

Our vet, who never like Rimadyl, put Nina first (and later Rogue) on Glycoflex II. We rarely have a limp from Nina and never from Rogan. It worked so well for them that Pops switched Jake to it and took him off of the Rimadyl. It's been almost a year and Jake is doing better on the Glyco than he did on the Rimadyl.

You can order the Glyco from omaha vaccine. They seem to have the cheapest prices on line for the stuff.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Sorry to hear about Darkwind, but sure glad it is mild. I don't have any advice... but hopefully all the great advice you are getting here will help.
Sending Special hugs to Darkwind!
Nancy and Tai

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I don't have any advice havn't got there YET (notice I say yet) just wanted to say sorry to hear about Darkwind but like the others said At least its mild. You probably already know this but alot of the senior foods have that Glosamine (SP) in it I hear thats supposed to help.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Aaw, bless him. :)
Sorry to hear that news Victory - haven't a clue - but will read what the others say for if/when M & M's time comes. :shock:
Give him a gentle hug from me and some pk's from M & M.

xxxxxxxxxxxx
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Pip is on Nutro Senior with the Condroitin/Glucosimine dry food. She is a little stiff jointed, and much slower when going up and down stairs or running in general. I'm not certain the amount in feed is enough to be truely therapeutic, though. It can't hurt to try, but I know the human form of these supplements is quite expensive.
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Hi victory.

Cayenne was diagnosed with arthritis about 2 months ago. We did have her on anti-inflammitories until the limping and swelling went down. On both our vet and our breeders recommendation, we added a Condroitin/Glucosimine supplement. The people kind IS expensive and my breeder recommended a brand that is used for horses. It doesn't have any filler in it like many horse supplements do. It is in powder form and I just sprinkle a little bit over her food daily. I will check the brand name when I get home tonight and post where we get it online. We also will occasionally put a hot compress on her knee (microwaved damp towl in a bag) and she loves that. she always lays right down when she sees that coming. We had thought ice... but vet says unless it is swollen, to use warmth to keep all the blood flowing and the joints pliable.

give Darkwind our love!
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

update

Post by Victory »

Darkwind is doing better, for a while I was really worried about him, he took the meds for three days and then started throwing up daily, I stopped the meds after two days of this and he still continued to throw up, so then on the vet's recommendation he went to a just rice diet for a few days. I stayed home with him last wednesday and gave him little meals of just rice every 3-4 hours and he didn't throw up, the next day three larger meals of rice, and then two meals of just rice and over this weekend back to his normal diet and finally just now a week later he's not vomiting and his stool is normal again. No more rimadyl for him, I'm going to keep him on his regular, (with some added stuff for his Arthritis) diet for another full week and then I'll slowly add his Cosiquine again. Half the daily dose for a week and see how he tolerates it and then I'll add the rest.

You know I read and article about human meds in human patients where this doctor was finding that many of his Hmong patients who were taking a smaller dose of meds than what he wanted were doing just fine...I think maybe chows are like that too.
Thank you SweetPea!
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Glad to hear Darkwind stopped vomitting. When you didn't check in as normal, I was getting concerned.

I know what you mean about the rimadyl. It's a rough drug. Remember about 6 months ago when pharmaceutical companies recalled Vioxx for humans? It was causing heart failure. Ugh!
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
xueshuxin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by xueshuxin »

Sorry for Darkwind.

It's said bees' stings can prevent arthritis; is there any medicine made of bee products(sure not eating bees-_-)? Maybe that'll help.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

I totally love my vet.! He called monday, night just to see how Darkwind was doing, I called him back on Tuesday and we talked, right now, Darkwind is back on his regular diet and his cosequin and the vet said we can consider having him take the rimaydl or not my decision this weekend, if he vomits once we're done...I like not having to argue about it.

Darkwind is doing a lot better too, he's was even being naughty last night...
Thank you SweetPea!
Debbie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Debbie »

that is a very caring vet! glad to hear darkwind is doing better! debbie and bones