Guess What?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Guess What?

Post by pfordeb »

First I want to thank everyone who has helped in my search for a new chow girl -- especially TLC, Stop the Suffering and Sam. I'm also going to take this occasion to publicly thank the wonderful Elodie for suggesting many wonderful activities while she's in Paris (merci beaucoup). Tonyia should be in Paris as I write this.

But ... the big news is ...Guess what I got for Christmas:

Lola

I always check our local shelter site for chow girls (as well as petfinder, etc.). Every once in a while I check every dog's picture listed. At first I sort of breezed past her picture because she was just listed as a Mix. I thought "cute." Then I looked at her tongue -- OMG about 9/10 blue!!!!! Just a couple little pink spots in the front.

She was picked up as a stray so I don't know much about her, except she's a year old, and as we've found: potty trained, rides great in the car and plays well with others!!! -- What more could I ask? The boys are doing great with her. Gilbert's pulled a couple growls, but I do my famous "HEY," and it stops.

I'm taking her with me and Gilbert to the vet tomorrow. First for her post adoption checkup but my poor boy is still having some problems with his foot. I'm still paranoid because of Sullivan. He's only 4. For the most part it's fine, but he sort of limps the first couple steps when he gets up.

So thank you Santa Forrest, and to everyone for their support and patience with all my false starts. I'm glad she doesn't look much like Sullivan -- a little in the eyes, and Lola actually has more black on her tongue, at least than Sullivan had at that age. Just from looking at her, I'm pretty sure she's mixed with Shepherd, so my new name for her is Chowpherd. She's pretty tiny, like 38 pounds and has the softest fur I've ever touched -- seriously, it's like bunny fur, and definitely double coat (although do Shepherds -- GSD's have a double coat?) It's longer (and softer than a shepherd). Just the coloring. Actually, she has Charlie's coloring, so now little kids will really think Charlie is Lola and Gilbert's baby.

Oh -- her entire name is Lola Susan Elizabeth. Lola is her shelter name -- and, ironically, one of the nicknames I'd given Sullivan based on that song "whatever Lola wants, Lola gets." She also has the same bump at the top of her skull Sullivan had, but maybe that's just a chow thing. Gilbert's is a little flatter. Anyway, the Susan Elizabeth is because every other generation in my family has to name a girl Susan Elizabeth. I have no humans to name that, so she is named after my mother, who, after I named Charlie after her father, had a complete tirade against me naming a dog after her father -- revenge is sweet when it comes in the form of a granddog!!!

So happy holidays everyone! This is the best present ever!
courtsey of Sweetpea
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Guess What?

Post by Desi »

Congratulations!!!!So glad you got what you wanted for Christmas.Lola is beautiful!!!!
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

What a wonderful gift! She is beautiful. More pics of the whole pack would be nice. I knew you'd find your girl when it was time.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Debbie I am so happy for you it brought tears to my eyes! This is just THE best news!! She is beautiful and what a wonderful Christmas present!! Please tell Santa Forrest thank you and Merry Christmas to you both!!
Yeaaaaaa!!! \:D/ =D= \:D/
I do hope Gilberts foot is ok..just a lil boo boo and nothing major. Sending warm wishes and good thoughts!!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

\:D/ \:D/ Congratulations! She is just beautiful!!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Ohhhhh, what a nice gift! Lola is a beauty, enjoy & lots of pictures please =D=
Thank you Elodie!
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Debbie, I am sure Lola is thanking you for being her Christmas gift, after all if it wasen't for you she would still be in the shelter for christmas.
Enjoy and love her and she will return your love 10 fold.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Congradulations Debbie \:D/
I know the boys will fall in love with Lola.shes just beautiful.
Merry Christmas
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

This is great news...especially around Christmas! Lola is a beauty. I am so happy for you and Forrest!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Debbie and Lola,

Congratulations, what a happy holiday for both of you

David
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know what happens after the vet. Less than 24 hours and things are still great. Lola has claimed alot of the toys (fortunately the boys don't play with them much). She's found a spot on the sofa and piled them all there. However, in true chow fashion she doesn't play fetch. I think she might have slept there. She was on the bed a few minutes, but then again, in true chow fashion she left to guard (and I think Gilbert intimidated her a little. He doesn't sleep on the bed, but guards the bedroom door). However, she's kissing and loving on the boys and they are returning the love so far. I know it's the honeymoon, so I'll have to keep people posted about that too, but it's so nice to have a little joy and fun around here for a change!
courtsey of Sweetpea
chris

Post by chris »

That is so awsome, Im so very happy for you! :-) The bump on the head.. yep, must be a chow thing along with the bunny type feeling fur. Steel has that. :-) We have a shephard and yes, he does actualy have a double coat, especialy in the booty, neck and chest area. We do have to use the rake on him too. :-) You have the best of both worlds there in Lola! Have a very Merry Christmas and I hope Gilberts foot gets better!
[:D]

Chris n Steel
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

Congratulations! Lola is beautiful. What a fabulous Christmas present.

Sophie is also a chowpherd. She has a double coat and it blows about twice a year, so don't be suprised if Lola does the same. After I got Sophie I did a lot of reading about both long-haird german shepards and belgian turverun shepards. Both of these shepards are double-coats, having longer guard hairs and a soft undercoat. I think the chow heritage gives them the really soft coat compared to a pb shepard. Sophie is also extremely active and quite the chewer. She doesn't play with a lot of toys, but she needs to run around alot or have me take her for 1.5 to 2 mile walks twice a day. She also needs chew treats (12" inch bully sticks are her favorite) or she starts chewing on furniture/pillows/blankies/the kennel at daycare. I blame her shepard side. It took a couple of weeks after I adopted her for that side to fully show itself.

I just know you are going to enjoy Lola. I can't wait to hear your stories about her has she gets more comfortable with you and the family.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Congratulations - she is lovely.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Just got back from the vet. Lola's fine, but of course I couldn't find her shot record which was in the pile with all her papers that I hadn't touched since we brought her home. They didn't feel anything weird with Gilbert so they clipped the hair on his paws and I'm going to give him Ascripton for a week and see if that helps. If not, they'll do xrays. He did seem a little stiff to her in the back legs but still pretty limber and she said he has good muscle tone, so even if it's something like dysplasia, he should be OK for now -- we'll just continue the supplements.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Wow Deb, Congratulations! How wonderful!

I knew it, I knew it...it was just a matter of time. Ha, ha!
Lola is beautiful. What a happy little face. And, she sounds like a doll - getting along with everyone immediately like that. What a great Christmas present!
Mia
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

Hey debbie, congratilations! Lola is gorgeous. All the best to you and ur furmily. Lol.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

WAAAAHOOOOO Congratulations!!!! What a cutie!!! I'm sooooo happy for you!!!!

Thanks Sweetpea!
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Oh Congratulations, Merry Christmas and a Oh So Happy New Year! I'm so happy for you and Forrest!!

What a love!

All the best,
Cindy & Kodi (also a ChowPherd)
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Congratulations - to you and Lola! What a wonderful Christmas present for both of you.
Thank you Sweatpea
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I'm glad you found your girl. It is a good thing, I think, that she not look too much like your Sullivan. She will have enough mannerisms in common as it is, you will see her more for herself if she has her own look, if that makes any sense at all! You know what I mean. It is a very good thing.
debraschow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by debraschow »

Oh Deb, I am so happy for you and Lola, I don't know who got the better Christmas, but I am sure it was the best ever for both of you! Congratulations, and can't wait for the next Chowfest!!!

Deb and Milo
Debra: Hobo and Milo's Mom
Banner by Sweetpea!
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I'm so happy Lola and you found each other! :D She looks so sweet... and pretty!! \:D/
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/